[NL2-NL10] NL25, TP in freeplay HU OOP

• burek2000
      Known players:

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.62 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8:heart: , K:club:
      2 folds, MP3 calls $0,25, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,60) 9:diamond: , 4:diamond: , K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,50, MP3 calls $0,50.

Turn: ($1,60) 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,00, MP3 calls $1,00.

River: ($3,60) T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,50, MP3 calls $1,50.

Final Pot: $6,60

I'm just adding this hand for example, I think I overplayed it a little because of drawy board, but what I'd like to know is, would it be profitable to play top pairs when you are sitting on the BB and there's only one limper, so you get a HU play on the flop. I mean hands like Kx, Qx and Jx which hit the flop.

I know you should be playing only TPTK+ hands in freeplays, but I think against only 1 villain a little looser play could pay off. Maybe, would it be good to play this hand(and similar ones) aggressively if for example the flop came rainbow? And if you think playing it would be good, how would you play it then?
  • 4 replies
    • Gerv
      Hello Burek,

As in a freeplay, you are mostly out of Position, I tend to check on the Flop with any hand (made or not made). Then if he checks behind, I know enough and lead out with a pot bet.

The great thing of checking during freeplays is that when you have something, and he makes a stabbet, you can check/raise him 3x or 2.5x his bet. This way you balance your play.

In general I tend to go to the showdown in a small pot with Toppair Medium kicker..

As played:
      Flop: Bet Pot but this is also ok and fold to a Reraise
      Turn: Bet Pot/fold to 2-bet or save money due the monoFlop and shut down.
      River: check and maybe play c/c for a cheap showdown. Making a note is good for future confrontations;)

I think there isn't an article about this, so this can be a matter of personal preference of playing. So I leave this hand open for Ingol/Ysessa and/or Xylere :)

I hope this makes sense,
    • burek2000
      Hello Gerv,

thank you for your extensive reply and congratulations on becoming the judge. :)

I can agree with the checking in freeplays(it's really good specially when you hit a draw-monster or not-or you are against multiple opponents :) ), but I quite frequently see that some fish on NL25 raise like 1BB when HU as soon as you check to them on the flop and I don't think I can call or raise it with my TPMK/LK since I'm OOP despite I'm pretty sure in most cases I hold the best hand. So, for this reason till now I play aggressively so I can see where I stand on the flop, if I'm reraised it's an easy fold, but if I get called I hold the best hand most of the time.

It would be nice if we could find some optimal solution here. :)

P.S.: This guy was a huge fish and I already put some green colored target on him for future fishing. ;)

P.P.S.: Oh, and on the river I decided for a block bet, because I don't know what I would do if he would put me all-in.
    • Nunki
      Originally posted by burek2000

congratulations on becoming the judge. :)

P.P.S.: Oh, and on the river I decided for a block bet, because I don't know what I would do if he would put me all-in.
      Since a ton of FD's just missed I don't think that you should ever c/f this river. Against some opponents you could induce bluffs profitably by checking the river.
    • IngolPoker
      bet turn higher, cc river for bluffinduce would be my line

the flopbet is good, you very often hold the best hand

of course...always checking is a way to balance, but always betting is also perfectly balanced ;)

I prefer betting, because it wins the pot so often right there