Mastering the articles gold PS means to be a winner in 1/2$?

• 11 replies
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      No, no way. The articles are outdated and in some cases plain erroneous.
    • GussGuss
      GussGuss
      Bronze
      So what do you think are the techniques and knowledge acquired to be winner in middle-high levels? Ty Yohan
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      What is your current level (stakes and success) of play?

I'm break even myself when I play $1/$2, but I play mostly micros because I don't have the time or money required to invest in playing $1/$2 or higher atm, but I'm confident I know how to beat it.
    • GussGuss
      GussGuss
      Bronze
      I've beaten FL4-50 on PS.es but now im playing PS.com and I see that the field is much higher than ps.es, although micros..
      Now Im start playing in 0.10/0.20, but my long term goal is to winning middle-high levels... which do you think are the most important tools to beat medium/low leveles? To beat micros all the content of PS, equilabs, analysis... it´s enough? Ty Sir
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      First off, make sure you beat Tc/20c, $0.25/€0.50 etc in turn, but this should be obvious. At $0.50./$1 and higher, there will be mostly regs, even professionals (like eastern Europeans earning better from small stakes grinding than real jobs). This means you could play well and still be losing money because of the high rake. Apart from having a solid game yourself (which you need to crush even Tc/20c), you need to look for mistakes on part of your opponents. Having a 52%-48% edge isn't enough (because of the huge rake).

• Who is c-betting too much/too little?
      • Who is calling too much/too little?
      • What does a flop raise mean? (Do they wait until turn with solid value?)
      • Etc, etc.

Some of these tendencies can be gleaned from stats. But it is much better to also watch showdowns and see what the have played and how. For instance, suppose you analyze a situation where you conclude that it is correct to call down with AK high or better, and see someone calling down with AT high. That player is calling way too much (provided your analysis is correct), because he is calling with at least 48 more combos than he should.

This is of course just an example, but it serves to show that the level of detail you must pay attention to is much much higher when not playing utter droolers.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Originally posted by GussGuss
      So what do you think are the techniques and knowledge acquired to be winner in middle-high levels? Ty Yohan
      I have this shit down to a science. You need three things to beat any poker game on any limit.

1) Ability to remember your strategy.
      2) Method to determine whether a given decision in the game is right or wrong.
      3) Ability to change your strategy.

I know, it's a bit abstract, but at least it's simple. 1) and 3) are trivial, 2) is the difficult bit.

These are the bricks. You also need some mortar. The mortar is things that can't win you money on their own, but totally ruin you if you fuck them up. I'm thinking of things like managing your funds (brm), emotional control (tilt), etc.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by redskwerl
      1) Ability to remember your strategy.
      This is extremely important. (Unfortunately, for me, it is my personal weakness.) Studying and analyzing hard pays no dividends if you can't remember the result of your analysis in a number of key scenarios. The more the better.
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      #1 Knowing the game (theory,ranges, moves,lines)
      #2 Knowing your opponent (reads)
      #3 Knowing yourself (your own leaks, own image,mental aspects)

And this can be achieved with tons of background analysis, thinking and research and no article can replace these . It's similar to chess, when you think on moves, if I step here this and this will happen, if I choose a different option how will my opponent react,except that in chess you think a few steps forward, while in poker you have to think backwards, and this is what makes it really difficult.
    • GussGuss
      GussGuss
      Bronze
      Thanks all!
      Bronze
      the most important thing to beat micros is first having a solid game like a preflop game that is rock solid. not only that you should know and be comfortable with all the hands you play. next postflop game will always be lacking for micros players but if you know when to bet flop turn and river with TP then your golden.

1 more thing that would make you a beast is understand that these guys dont play for the money but for fun. meaning they will call and raise with trash that can make you angry as hell (I once punched right through my second monitor) learn to deal with their randomness and you'll be seeing them as an ATM. this is for 2/4c up to 25/50c.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      I'm playing 2c/4c atm, nursing my $7.96 BR. There are plenty of players that played Tc/20c and 5c/Tc at the rock bottom now. (For instance, Hemul for those who know).