Is anonymity good or bad in online poker?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I've always wondered if its a good idea to have a pic in your avatar on the poker tables or just leave it blank and have that grey circle like on pokerstars.

I think that if you don't have a pic you can be more anonymous than the other guys who do have a pic. So the question is, 'is anonymity important in online poker?'

When I spot a leak a player has and know I can exploit it and see his pic, everytime I see the same pic instantly know what leak to exploit. Similarly if there is a reg that is hard to play against and everytime in future I see his pic I'll be cautious against him.

So you could say in a way that having a pic gives people more information about you.

So is there any advantage of uploading a pic at all? Yet I see a bunch of good players have pics. The pic does differentiate you from other players and gives you an identity. Do these good regs like to be identified?
  • 2 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey maheepsangari,

That is an interesting point. I remember being told to target players with football club IDs and club badges as they were the fishiest of the fish. Incidentally I have a football club badge as an avatar. Might explain why I'm not a balla crusher. :f_eek:

Cheers

Laz
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      I doubt there is any advantage of having an avatar, only disadvantages.

But most people, including me, put an avatar for the fun of it.