This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Is anonymity good or bad in online poker?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Bronze
      I've always wondered if its a good idea to have a pic in your avatar on the poker tables or just leave it blank and have that grey circle like on pokerstars.

I think that if you don't have a pic you can be more anonymous than the other guys who do have a pic. So the question is, 'is anonymity important in online poker?'

When I spot a leak a player has and know I can exploit it and see his pic, everytime I see the same pic instantly know what leak to exploit. Similarly if there is a reg that is hard to play against and everytime in future I see his pic I'll be cautious against him.

So you could say in a way that having a pic gives people more information about you.

So is there any advantage of uploading a pic at all? Yet I see a bunch of good players have pics. The pic does differentiate you from other players and gives you an identity. Do these good regs like to be identified?
  • 2 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey maheepsangari,

That is an interesting point. I remember being told to target players with football club IDs and club badges as they were the fishiest of the fish. Incidentally I have a football club badge as an avatar. Might explain why I'm not a balla crusher. :f_eek:

Cheers

Laz
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      I doubt there is any advantage of having an avatar, only disadvantages.

But most people, including me, put an avatar for the fun of it.