Sets

• 4 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      The example hand looks fine played with the 88. I would personal bet a little bit bigger on the flop to protect the hand against draws with a bet of approximately 55% pot. As played I would newer fold on turn when he’s raising, because the only set you beat is 99 and he can easily raise 2 pairs or a lower set. Draws I would newer raise on the turn. That makes not to much sense. That I would do on flop most of the time.

If I check this from the perspective of the 33 player I would fold the flop with only a small pocket pair on a wet board like this. He has only 2 outs to improve his hand and isn’t a great board to float on. On the turn he’s hit his set and I would stack off as well. It’s still possible you play some over pairs like this on a draw heavy board, because I wouldn’t fold AA if I was in your shoes. I think for him was folding on flop best and on turn it’s a cooler.

In a other situation I almost newer fold a set for 100bb effective or I’m pretty sure I’m dealing with a better set on the flop, but that happened not to often and it also depends of board structure if I play the hand aggressive or slow on flop and further.

I guess this question was not specific for tournaments. So I let the thread here for now.
      Hopefully this helps a little bit and if you have more questions don’t hesitate to ask them.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • DrBuster
      DrBuster
      Basic
      Thanks mate, I wasn´t thorough enough sorry for that as I was thinking from the 33 perspective which you answered very well thank you. I´m specificly talking while playing in tournaments and the replay is just an example. What if you flop a 33 set after calling pre on a T93hh board and on a rainbow board. For me the strategy is to build the pot to highest levels as quickly as possible or even try to get it allin on flop. And what if the tourney is Super Tuesday $1.050 buyin does it affect?

Rgds,
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      In that case I moved it to the tournament section. Than the tournament players will find your thread earlier.

I newer played the Super Tuesday and I don’t no if that effect your play.

It also depends if you play in position (IP) or out position (OOP) and type of player your dealing with. On a rainbow board I wouldn’t mind to slow play against a random villain if you play IP if he CBets or not. OOP I would check to the raiser and if he bets you can call as well, because than you hold still his range as wide as possible and you don’t need to protect too much against draws. On a board with 2 :heart: I would raise OOP for sure if he bets after your check. If you play multi way OOP it’s not too bad to lead out with a set, but also depends how much original raiser likes to Cbet.

It’s still a little bit abstract and not my favorite thing. Further you can always posts hands on the Hand discussions for Tournaments board and you get feedback on the hands you have played.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • RiQRiQ
      RiQRiQ
      Silver
      Usually just get it in. Yes!