w34z3l's Poker Academy

• strikerp
      strikerp
      Bronze
      Hi weazel,
      this is a great concept i think! :) I'm in.
      I'd also love to get some more input about squeezing.

Here is a hand I already posted somewhere else. However I'm not sure about the river play yet.

BTN: $5.77
      SB: $10.00
      BB: $2.82
      UTG: $6.53
      Hero (MP): $10.27
      CO: $13.49

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has A:club: 2:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.90, 3 players) Q:club: 8:diamond: 7:club:
      Hero bets $0.56, CO calls $0.56, fold

Turn: ($2.02, 2 players) 9:club:
      Hero bets $1.27, CO calls $1.27

River: ($4.56, 2 players) 8:heart:
      Hero bets $2.87, CO raises to $8.50,

Villain is nealry unknown, but seems to be a reg.
      I don't think, that villain has a wide valuerange here. Most sets would raise the wet flop, especially in a multiway pot imo. So his valuerange should be like 3 combos of 99 and maybe sometimes a slowplayed 77, 98, (88, 1 combo).
      --> Villain does not need many combos worse than ours in his range to make a call +ev.
      The problem is, i can not imagine any bluff combo in his range, maybe he is raising sometimes with KcJc, but imo it is to thin to find a call here?
      What's your line?
      //Edit: If fold, what's the worst combo you call with on the river? I'm not having many FH combos in my river range, because most (or all) of the set combos should be checked on that ugly turn card.?

What about the bet sizes at Flop and Turn, imo it's too small.?
    • YxieAA
      YxieAA
      Bronze
      Nice topics! I have a lot to learn about Bet-Sizing so i'll be following!
    • legenyPS
      legenyPS
      Bronze
      I would like to follow this topic too. One question though: what status will be needed to the videos / coachings?
    • strikerp
      strikerp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by legenyPS
      I would like to follow this topic too. One question though: what status will be needed to the videos / coachings?
      Originally posted by teddypoker
      Originally posted by mute20
      What status are these videos/coaching's going to require?
      Hi mute20,

Almost all the content will be stream/release for Gold +
    • legenyPS
      legenyPS
      Bronze
      Yep, just read this too :-(
    • Ales851
      Ales851
      Bronze
      Hello Weazel,

I would like to ask you some theoretic questions about range constructions:

1st question:
      Let say I´m button and call SB 3bet. Now I guess I should defend vs cbet some percentage of my range which I can calculate. Problem is, that on some flop textures my range is very strong and it´s no problem to defend even wider than it´s necessary but on another flop textures I have to defend quite a weak hands. What is good approch? Try to defend enough on each flop even if this texture hit my opponent better and on some textures (which are better for me) defend even more or defend more on the good textures and less than necessary on the bad textures?

2nd question - I know one of my big leaks is very low cbet OOP. This is one of my typical problems - cbeting dry flop OOP:
      Let say I open from UTG range which is in the spoiler and get called from CO, which is average TAG (NL25 or similar limit)

Now the flop comes :Kc: :8h: :4s:

I think I should bet for value these hands, which have 3 streets of value. But since I´m not sure I have 3 streets of value with AK (CO probably will not be very happy to call 3 barrels with KQ in these positions I guess). So 6 combos of sets remain. If I cbet these value range, my x/c range will be capped to plenty of mid-strenht hands. If I bet like half of them, my value range will be super narrow. So I have no idea what to cbet here for value :f_frown:
    • briccius
      briccius
      Silver
      I will be following.
    • Baggydogg
      Baggydogg
      Bronze
      Hi Coach!
      My suggestion:
      A method of how to quick assort the starting hands in the charts into different and well balanced ranges (Checkraise for value, checkraise as bluff , call , fold..) when a certain flop hits the board.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by strikerp
      Hi weazel,
      this is a great concept i think! :) I'm in.
      I'd also love to get some more input about squeezing.

Here is a hand I already posted somewhere else. However I'm not sure about the river play yet.

BTN: $5.77
      SB: $10.00
      BB: $2.82
      UTG: $6.53
      Hero (MP): $10.27
      CO: $13.49

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has A:club: 2:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.25, CO calls $0.25, BTN calls $0.25, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.90, 3 players) Q:club: 8:diamond: 7:club:
      Hero bets $0.56, CO calls $0.56, fold

Turn: ($2.02, 2 players) 9:club:
      Hero bets $1.27, CO calls $1.27

River: ($4.56, 2 players) 8:heart:
      Hero bets $2.87, CO raises to $8.50,

Villain is nealry unknown, but seems to be a reg.
      I don't think, that villain has a wide valuerange here. Most sets would raise the wet flop, especially in a multiway pot imo. So his valuerange should be like 3 combos of 99 and maybe sometimes a slowplayed 77, 98, (88, 1 combo).
      --> Villain does not need many combos worse than ours in his range to make a call +ev.
      The problem is, i can not imagine any bluff combo in his range, maybe he is raising sometimes with KcJc, but imo it is to thin to find a call here?
      What's your line?
      //Edit: If fold, what's the worst combo you call with on the river? I'm not having many FH combos in my river range, because most (or all) of the set combos should be checked on that ugly turn card.?

What about the bet sizes at Flop and Turn, imo it's too small.?
      Villain is pretty unlikely to be bluffing river as mentioned. The only way we can find a call is if villain is capable of raising worse hands for value such as flushes or trips. Overall it's probably going to end up being a marginal fold though, but pretty close overall. So weakest hand we call would be any boat.

Sizings look reasonable to me, I don't think turn needs to be larger or anything - we look pretty strong barreling this turn card.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Ales851
      Hello Weazel,

I would like to ask you some theoretic questions about range constructions:

1st question:
      Let say I´m button and call SB 3bet. Now I guess I should defend vs cbet some percentage of my range which I can calculate. Problem is, that on some flop textures my range is very strong and it´s no problem to defend even wider than it´s necessary but on another flop textures I have to defend quite a weak hands. What is good approch? Try to defend enough on each flop even if this texture hit my opponent better and on some textures (which are better for me) defend even more or defend more on the good textures and less than necessary on the bad textures?
      Basically the answer to both questions revolve around the differences between commonly accepted (simplified) methodology behind GTO calculations, and how a complete GTO calculation would look in practice.

So in this first situation where we use minimum fold equity formula to construct our defending frequency, something extremely important is being overlooked. Defending a certain frequency is not how we make ourself unexploitable. We need to look at the equity of the hands in our range vs our opponents range and construct a frequency based on this. The common method of defense based on minimum fold equity completely ignores this and tries to take a shortcut immediately to the defending frequency without considering any of the equities involved.

The result is that we get a reasonable (debatable) estimate, but can improve this by making some estimate adjustments (or by using a more complex calculation which factors in equities). So any situation where we have a range disadvantage or positional disadvantage we can allow our opponent automatic profit and vice-versa.

Originally posted by Ales851
      2nd question - I know one of my big leaks is very low cbet OOP. This is one of my typical problems - cbeting dry flop OOP:
      Let say I open from UTG range which is in the spoiler and get called from CO, which is average TAG (NL25 or similar limit)

Now the flop comes :Kc: :8h: :4s:

I think I should bet for value these hands, which have 3 streets of value. But since I´m not sure I have 3 streets of value with AK (CO probably will not be very happy to call 3 barrels with KQ in these positions I guess). So 6 combos of sets remain. If I cbet these value range, my x/c range will be capped to plenty of mid-strenht hands. If I bet like half of them, my value range will be super narrow. So I have no idea what to cbet here for value :f_frown:
      Again this draws on the game theory concept that we only value bet the flop with hands that are strong enough to value-bet 3 streets. But there isn't a mathematical justification for this - it's simply done to make theory models as simple as possible. In practice we will have some hands we bet for 1 street of value and some hands we bet for 2 streets of value. Once we start incoporating this into our models they start becoming super complex. But don't feel you can't bet the flop with a weak Kx just because it's not strong enough to value bet river. We need some hands to use as turn bluff-catchers. Keep in mind that the model which usually assume we need a 3 streets hand in order to fire the flop also doesn't even take into consideration defending our checking range OOP on any street.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Baggydogg
      Hi Coach!
      My suggestion:
      A method of how to quick assort the starting hands in the charts into different and well balanced ranges (Checkraise for value, checkraise as bluff , call , fold..) when a certain flop hits the board.
      There really isn't a simple way of doing this just yet. You could get software to do it for you, pokersnowie for example, but the results are questionable. So unfortunately it's going to be long and slow work - but it can be speeded up slightly by using Flopzilla to break down the hands into categories for us.
    • CryingAce
      CryingAce
      Bronze
      Just saw this ..I´m in!
    • lukezo
      lukezo
      Bronze
      Hi I would suggest a video about player types and exploiting them and a video about bluffcatching the river
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Hi w34z3l,

Realistically, how soon can we expect the video on multi way pots with or without initiative, squeeze pots also with actual hand examples and analysis?

Appreciate it!
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      Hi w34z3l,

Realistically, how soon can we expect the video on multi way pots with or without initiative, squeeze pots also with actual hand examples and analysis?

Appreciate it!

Not sure....this is not down to me, it's down to pokerstrategy admin. I submitted the suggestions a couple of days ago.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      double post :s_ugly:
    • Baggydogg
      Baggydogg
      Bronze
      Ok. Thank you Weazle. So flopzilla hs features that Equilab doesn't have? I guess I need to check it out.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by Baggydogg
      Ok. Thank you Weazle. So flopzilla hs features that Equilab doesn't have? I guess I need to check it out.

There is a new paid version of equilab which might have the features that flopzilla has, not sure, haven't checked it out yet. Both are paid softwares although probably both have a trial.
    • CryingAce
      CryingAce
      Bronze
      I´d like to see a Vid ,where we ´re OOP as PFR ,but didn´t hit the flop-like pp´s and also our entire range.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      noted, thanks for your suggestion CryingAce