Life After Poker

• AaronLambert
      Hello all :f_drink:

It has been a very very long time since I have came by the site and I figured I could probably provide quite a bit of insight to many of those grinding now as well as an update to those who may have started watching my videos.

The End of poker for me

I probably don't need to mention "Black Friday" but that was the beginning of the end. I was able to hang on for a while but the main money maker was long gone and I really couldn't keep it going much longer than I did (about 2 years after BF hit) I had to decide to A) Pack it in and get a real job or B) Move the family out of the country. Live poker was never a long term solution for me (just don't have that much interest in it outside of the random trips I took twice a year).

The New LIfe

I would have enjoyed B but it would be a very complicated path to take and the hardest part would be getting the wife to go along with such a decision. She is very family oriented and loves her family. So A meant I had to hit the proverbial real world. I was smart enough to build up a backup plan with a Master's degree but that path wasn't one I really wanted to take. I ended up taking a job in a retail store for a few months to help build my resume. I was quickly promoted before leaving for a better paying job. Same thing happened about a year later and I took another pay raise for a big company here in the U.S. I ended up actually moving out to Denver, Colorado and this place is pretty damn awesome. I am currently in a sales position and have excelled there so far. I think my next step is to get back into football in some capacity but in the mean time I'm satisfied with where I am currently (American Football, I figured I needed to clarify).

The family is happy and healthy. My baby Brayden is turning three in October and we will be expecting another child in December.

Message for you poker players

For those of you who are still grinding and have the idea that they may have to travel such a path in the future I wanted to just share that you really don't need to stress about it. If you are at the top of the poker world (making any sort of money playing for a living puts you in the top 20-15% of people in my book) and you are a honest person, you will always find a way to make it. Personally this was something that could have held me back a bit and prevented me from taking some more chances in my poker career which could have taken me to another level to be honest.

Poker is a game that sharpens tools that will help you succeed in the real world. You'd be surprised to see how many people in the "real world" struggle to work hard or expect things to be given to them. In no way is that how you got to where you are in your poker career. This is important because you fought, scratched, and clawed your way to the top. The amount of time, effort, and focus that a poker player has is really hard for anyone NOT in the industry to understand. Yes, I left poker off my resume when I applied for jobs here. Not because I'm ashamed of it but because I know of the ignorance that many people have towards the game. Honestly, some of it can be justified, the game does have quite a lot of slimy people in it which is why I am gearing this towards honest people :f_biggrin: .

The Offer

Being someone who has been out of the game for a couple of years I believe I could potentially help some of you. I wanted to offer you the opportunity to ask me any questions. I'm in quite a bit of a different circumstance than what many of you may be in currently but things can change quickly in this game as many of you know so I was hoping I could help some others whenever I get a moment.

Thanks guys!
  • 4 replies