poker book for mental focus and overcome anxiety

• Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi all,

I have been playing poker for some time and I want to dig in to it some more. I have read some basic things, which I use and often works fine. However, somehow when I am in the hand, I cannot always think straight and have a calm mindset. It is like my brains block my thinking and I sometimes make bad decisions through that. On the contrary when I am assessing my hand history. Then I can easily see what I did wrong during the game.

What book (or maybe something totally different) would you recommend?
      I personally favour 'The mental game of Poker' that I see on this website. Would you agree?

Any advice/tips/suggestions are welcome! Thank you so much in advance!
  • 14 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I have newer read that book, but I heard it helped a lot of the poker players. It could be useful for you. You can also check our Psychology articles and videos if you didn’t do that already.

If you have also some issues with the game format you like to play I maybe can help you with it as well if I know that you play cash games, SNG’s and/or tournaments.

Hopefully helps this a little bit.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I agree, The Mental Game of Poker is the ultimate book on this subject in my opinion. I can definitely recommend it.

By the way, how many tables are you playing at the same time? Maybe it would make sense to drop some of them, if this could help you make more rational decisions.
    • LlibSetag7
      LlibSetag7
      Bronze
      Power of now-Eckhart Tolle
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Thank you very much guys!

SDK1987, we'll be in touch soon. I am almost graduated and want to go more serious in this topic.
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi Harrier88,

I used to do that but it didn't help indeed so I now do maximum 2 tables. I also do more things at the same time, like messaging with friends, facebook, etc. I know these are the first steps I need to improve and make it more comfortable to play.
    • Noname81
      Noname81
      Bronze
      HI
      The book the mental game of poker describes your problem in detail. Basically when your emotions reach a certain limit and shutdown your ability to think and reason. An example of this is people who go into a fit of rage. At this level of emotions arousal they cant think or reason anymore and do something stupid. After they say to them self "what the hell was thinking?" The same concept happens at he poker table. If you are fearful, angry, overconfidence ect this block your ability to think and reason properly. This is when we make poor decisions at the poker table.

The Mental game of poker is by far the best poker book out there on the mental game. I have read it many times. I still struggle with tilt but I am a bit of a mental case ha ha. I think I am a lot more emotional then most people which can be good and bad. I have been working on my mental game for over a year now. It has been a slow process. But it is a process for me.
    • svonja
      svonja
      Bronze
      hi dude, good luck at the tables, best of luck
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Thank you very much for your sharing your story. I see that you are very aware and can reflect upon yourself. However, by seeing your status, I am sure you do fine in general.

I will buy the book, you all have me convinced.
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Thank you very much! Best of luck to you too :)
    • Post removed

• poncygainful
      poncygainful
      Basic
      Hi, if you are into Poker, I heard , that book would help you a lot. :)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by poncygainful
      Hi, if you are into Poker, I heard , that book would help you a lot. :)
      It will also help you in other fields because it teaches you to be able to make rationally correct decisions. We all go a little crazy in real life sometimes, but TMGOP has also influenced my real life decision making.

Now I'm only a little crazy, rather than a lot :fuckyeah:
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Haha, thanks a lot you guys! This helped me a lot to overcome the wall of buying the book!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Great stuff Hesticus :)

Hopefully you'll be able to make good use of it :f_drink: