Some PLO questions : profitable ?

• Craze59
      Craze59
      Bronze
      Hello guys !

I have been interested in PLO these last few weeks, gave it a try and actually really enjoyed it :f_drink:

Still I was wondering how the games are profitable nowadays ? Is it like the NLH where there is 5 regs fighting to get the fish money ?
      How about the traffic ( I am on pokerstars and from what I have seen is most of people are playing zoom, which is a thing I am not enjoying a lot... ) ?

This was for cash games, but what about tournaments ? Are they interesting to be played ?

Anyway, really enjoying the game, it is like discovering a brand new interest to poker. I am just sick of the NLH where everyone is playing like a robot all the time ( I was a NL10 Regular ).
      Just going to change how I appreciate the games : Playing NLH MTTs, PLO CG and PLO MTTs if interesting !

Thanks guys :)
  • 9 replies
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Definitely profitable, both in cash games and in tournaments.
    • Craze59
      Craze59
      Bronze
      Okay! I saw some people saying you cant actually beat the game because of the rake incredibly high
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      That's because they can't. The rake is high, but on the other hand most of the players make HUGE mistakes all the time, which means that someone who doesn't make that big mistakes will win a lot of money.
    • tezela
      tezela
      Bronze
      plo is fantastic game... it has more action than holdem
    • WhiteWalker
      WhiteWalker
      Bronze
      The games a definitely beatable. People who say they can't beat the rake are just players who don't want to work on their game and simply winge about the game itself.

PLO2 is my game at the minute. 5000 hands down, running at 44bb/100 which is rediculous run good haha. Small sample.

I will be moving up to PLO5 at $100 and moving down when I don't have 18-20BI.
    • deetour4
      deetour4
      Bronze
      Hi all! Iam nothing like a pro at omaha nor in texas. But Omaha first seamed impossible is 10 times "easier" in the meaning of score really good often.

Is it noob luck or does it make perfekt sense in your mind to?

Deetour4
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      There is definitely a bigger edge in PLO and higher winrates are definitely possible. Plus, it's way more fun. But be warned, it's high variance and it's very easy to run well over a few thousand hands and think you're more skillful than you really are...
    • deetour4
      deetour4
      Bronze
      Thanks for that advise! It is great fun that make it harder not to missjudge ones skill level, that for sure. I guess the is no good in trying cut koners. Not when money is an issue. deetour4
    • FlyingDutchm1n
      FlyingDutchm1n
      Bronze
      Hi there I would personally take a 40bi bankroll because the swings can be brutal even at the lowest stakes (remember at even 2plo I had a couple of 15-18 BI under EV downswings just getting every 75-25 cracked on the turn all in) and definitely not a game where you want to draw conclusions too early because with PLO if you look at an variance calculator a 0bb winning player (breakeven player) can have 47 buy ins up or 47 buy ins down (best and worst case example) after the same amount of hands so yeah shows you a thing or 2. I am still learning so much everyday and it is a great game. It pretty much agreed on that fish love plo because they are never drawing dead in the way they do in NLHE you know they can just flip a 40-60 a bunch of times run like god and be the big stack on the table (the majority I actually see the biggest stack on the table being a superfishy player). But yeah definitely beatable, had to laugh because my poker distribution is roughly the same as yours, NLHE mtt, PLO cashgames and MTT when there is action to be found. Too bad stars has so many nice x$ GTD $1-4 tourneys for NLHE but not for PLO.