My Pocket Aces got beat TWICE by Same Guy with a poor hand both times

    • rickyca
      rickyca
      Basic
      Joined: 05.05.2015 Posts: 4
      I've just had the worst poker day of my life. I've been playing Cash for 3 years now and this week I had unbelievable bad luck or maybe I played bad so I want to understand if I Did something wrong or I just got called by a bad player and ran into bad luck.

      For sake of convenience i'll keep the currency to USD ie. $

      6 player game
      Stack sizes about $500
      Blinds $2 / $4

      Game was on for a few hours and stacks were deep, the game had become aggressive.

      I was button. Player A raised to $40, action folded to me. I held AA so I re-raised to $120. He calls

      Flop came up 2 3 7 rainbow.

      He checks, I was vary of him so I Shove all in which is around $500. He calls and shows A3.

      Turn is 3 again and I don't even remember the river but I got beat. He says he called because he put me on an AK. I take the hit chin up, re-buy and get back into the game.

      --------------------------------------------

      An hour and a half later, game is even more aggressive and stacks are now around $2,000 average.

      Again I'm on the button with AA.

      He raises to $120, Action folds to me, I re-raise to $350. He calls again.

      Flop is 68T, rainbow. He checks and I bet $300 on the flop as it is not scary at all.

      He calls.

      Turn is J.

      He shoves all in which is $1,800.

      I can see he has been playing on draws and aggressively throughout the night. I'm sure he doesn't have trips or he might have checked to see what I do. I know I beat him so I call.

      River is Q and the board now is 68TJQ. He shows 99 and he rivered the straight. I get beat again.

      I know that in the second game, I might have played the Flop bet more aggressively to have him fold but isn't this devastating to happen to me against the same guy in the same session in a span of few hours? This was the first time I was playing against him. But I need to know how do I play this guy?
  • 7 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.12.2010 Posts: 3,338
      Umm... you're playing nl400... complaining about getting your AA cracked twice... talking about luck... playing for 3 years... come on, most nl2 players learn after the first couple of months not to complain about getting stacked in a poker forum. And when you start talking about luck it's a bit meh because pretty much everyone here does not care about luck or even talk about it because it is a stupid consideration.

      If this guy is such a station, 3bet him preflop bigger. If he calls you OOP with A3 then that's amazing. If he calls your open shove on the flop with middle pair that's even better he literally has about 10% equity against you so don't cry about it when he hits, just do what you did and rebuy.

      In the next hand, please tell me what is "not scary" about a T86 flop? Just because it has no FD? If you can open shove the 732 flop you can definitely open shove the T86 flop as it has more draws and he will also put you on a draw if you jam...

      Just beat this guy by getting a hand and hammering him. If he stacks you like this then just rebuy and eventually you will stack him if you don't spazz out.
    • rickyca
      rickyca
      Basic
      Joined: 05.05.2015 Posts: 4
      Haha yeah, I know I'm a little bit of a novice though playing for 3 years coz I only play home games. Sorry if I didn't clarify, this wasn't an online game. It was a cash game at a friends place.

      So yes, I understand talking about luck is meh.

      So thanks I just wanted some confirmation that this guy is a station and if I get a hand, I should hammer him more often than not.

      Just that this particular game had become too big for me to handle and so I've been very upset and was wondering if I could've done anything differently.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Joined: 28.01.2012 Posts: 2,220
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      Umm... you're playing nl400... complaining about getting your AA cracked twice... talking about luck... playing for 3 years... come on, most nl2 players learn after the first couple of months not to complain about getting stacked in a poker forum.
      based on personal experience, live nl400 is actually very similar to online nl2 in terms of gameplay :f_drink:

      Originally posted by rickyca
      Just that this particular game had become too big for me to handle and so I've been very upset and was wondering if I could've done anything differently.
      Yeah...not played in it in the first place.

      If you get upset about getting stacked, you're probably not comfortably rolled for the limit and shouldn't be playing the games.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Joined: 24.09.2010 Posts: 702
      Well, live, where you play like 20 hands/hour its tilting to lose with aces twice... Btw looks like a nice game to be in blinds at 2/4 and open for 40 with rag ace. Was there a double straddle or something?
    • rickyca
      rickyca
      Basic
      Joined: 05.05.2015 Posts: 4
      No double straddle. Just that the longer we play, the more rebuys happen and the bigger the stacks get. So normal raise pre-flop is 7 to 10BB or so. And this guy against me was down by $1,500. Probably he was tilting or why would he call my pre-flop raise with an A3.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Joined: 24.09.2010 Posts: 702
      1. Play this:



      2. Read this:
      Originally posted by rickyca
      I've just had the worst poker day of my life. I've been playing Cash for 3 years now and this week I had unbelievable bad luck or maybe I played bad so I want to understand if I Did something wrong or I just got called by a bad player and ran into bad luck.

      For sake of convenience i'll keep the currency to USD ie. $

      6 player game
      Stack sizes about $500
      Blinds $2 / $4

      Game was on for a few hours and stacks were deep, the game had become aggressive.

      I was button. Player A raised to $40, action folded to me. I held AA so I re-raised to $120. He calls

      Flop came up 2 3 7 rainbow.

      He checks, I was vary of him so I Shove all in which is around $500. He calls and shows A3.

      Turn is 3 again and I don't even remember the river but I got beat. He says he called because he put me on an AK. I take the hit chin up, re-buy and get back into the game.

      --------------------------------------------

      An hour and a half later, game is even more aggressive and stacks are now around $2,000 average.

      Again I'm on the button with AA.

      He raises to $120, Action folds to me, I re-raise to $350. He calls again.

      Flop is 68T, rainbow. He checks and I bet $300 on the flop as it is not scary at all.

      He calls.

      Turn is J.

      He shoves all in which is $1,800.

      I can see he has been playing on draws and aggressively throughout the night. I'm sure he doesn't have trips or he might have checked to see what I do. I know I beat him so I call.

      River is Q and the board now is 68TJQ. He shows 99 and he rivered the straight. I get beat again.

      I know that in the second game, I might have played the Flop bet more aggressively to have him fold but isn't this devastating to happen to me against the same guy in the same session in a span of few hours? This was the first time I was playing against him. But I need to know how do I play this guy?


      3. ??????????????????????
      4. :profit:
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Gold
      Joined: 01.04.2012 Posts: 2,720
      based on personal experience, live nl400 is actually very similar to online nl2 in terms of gameplay
      I would say it even simpler than NL2 :)
      Live games are full of fish and fish regs, so fish at nl400 is still bad player