About downswing

• PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      1 whole week straight without a single cent of profit, basically just down down and down. Everyday I'm trying to play my best, think through every hand that I played, analyse if anything I did wrong, but nein: I just keep on getting bad beat. I only play one table now, and I manually recorded hands that i played. Opponent hitting ridiculous draws, not getting playable hands for hours, and once I get premium like kings I got cracked or coolered.

I had been keep on telling myself it's just variance, and watched lots of videos on how to stay calm. I'm not tilted, but I'm just getting exhausted of losing and forgotten the feeling of making a profit.

Is this kind of downswing normal...?

E: My bankroll just downed 30% for this week.
  • 12 replies
    • tukioppilas62
      tukioppilas62
      Diamond
      You may even play 100k hands with positive expectation cash games and end up losing.... And you probably were tilted - you just didn't notice it.
    • rompas
      rompas
      why dont you try to post some hands in the hand discussion? that way you will get some feedback about your hands,

i dont know how long you have been playing , what limits you play,,
      but yes downswings is normal, coolers happens and i do understand its very frustrating when it happens day after day,, i myself tend to play more aggresive or overpassive when i feel i am running bad , and that way i attract even more (coolers), sometimes it just helps to take a few days off from poker, do other things , recharge yourself
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      Couldn't agree more
      Post a few hands
      :-)
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      Hmm okay I'll have to write them down manually as well though. The site not software-based but is on Indonesian website.

I'm playing about 0.20/0.40 USD, had been playing poker for few years, after busted twice $50 deposit, I had been turning some profit on the micro. Here's my graph on Stars, after FTP Black Friday I turn to there, Stars also shut down on Malaysia, not much hands but yeah.
      http://www.sharkscope.com/#Player-Statistics//networks/PokerStars/players/kohtianyi
    • PaTaPaTaPoNn
      PaTaPaTaPoNn
      Bronze
      Last night
      9 handed 2500/5000 Rupiah
      Opponent: MP1 with 90,000 R
      Me: Button with 485,000 R with Queens.

Opponent limp, two others called, I raised to 25k, opponent called, two others and blinds folded.

Flop came J 3 7 rainbow, opponent checked, I raised 2/3 pot about 55k, he called.
      Turn came 5, he shoved his 20k behind and I called, he showed 64o.

This site I am playing, the tables are always full of players with minimum buy in of 20bb. I used to make consistent profit here, but this two weeks I just keep on losing non-stop.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      yes, you are tilted. try moving down for a bit and see if you can win a bit just to get confidence back
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      You could reduced your buy ins to 40bbs and play MSS. That way, you can play a tight range and be happy to get it all in with a premium hand, knowing the downswing won't last forever, and if you get sucked out on, you lose just 40bbs instead of 100.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by PaTaPaTaPoNn
      This site I am playing, the tables are always full of players with minimum buy in of 20bb. I used to make consistent profit here, but this two weeks I just keep on losing non-stop.
      Hi, PaTaPaTaPoNn,
      I play on a similar site -- lots of players with v small stacks.
      Some things that help:
      :diamond:   If you have a hand (QQ would be OK) just force the short-stacks all-in pre. For example, if you have three limpers ahead of you with 40 BB each, make your iso raise 30BB. You will likely get folds, and if not, you're likely ahead. If you bet too small, you give the players behind you pot odds that are so good they call (even w/ 64o) so now you're multiway with only an overpair and a big pot. Yuck. It's best to get at least SOME of them to fold.

Playing vs lots of limpers is indeed difficult, but the very WORST thing you can do is join the limpfest hoping to "flop a hand". You will hit some decent hands for sure, but you'll lose in the long run. Play solid hands, in position, and aggressively.

For the tilt issues, have a look at
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/25155/

And yes, downswings like this are normal...

Peace,
      VS
    • T0MST3R
      T0MST3R
      Gold
      Hi,
      might sound funny, but what I do, when I get lots of bad beats, is to go a couple of levels down, sometimes to the lowest possible. I play the lowest limit
      my best game until I feel that I run normal again. Sometimes I change completely to a different game, such as sit n go's for instance, also lowest limit. A good
      way to get rid of the aggression as you push in AQ+ ie ... I just need to reach a point where I feel good again.

Maybe not an expert advise but an advise from somebody who had quite some really really bad times ... this really got me out ...
      V.
    • SuicideQueens
      SuicideQueens
      Basic
      I think, changing stake level or game style while having a downswing is not a right move. It makes more sense to make adjustments or changes after having enough hand samples to analyse (aprox. 100k hands, some says this is not enough too). IMO, it is better to play trough the downswing with game plan that you always trusted. You can loose all of your BR or some percentage, it is not important. Important thing is "Do we know that we don't know?"

I am not an expert, i am a fish, who tries to be a better fish. I wrote what i learn from books etc..
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      I don't think its a good idea "to play thru it"

What I do when I feel the need to belt out is go in a 1cent rebuy and just wail out on the world
      :-)
    • SuicideQueens
      SuicideQueens
      Basic
      Is there a difference between players and games at 25nl and 5nl? Yes, there is.. So if i am sure that i have enough skills, experience, knowledge to play at 25nl, why will i return 5nl when i have a downswing?