Turning 20.000€ into 100.000€ by December 01 200NL+

• detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
      Hi,

I created a blog a few weeks ago and didn't update it because it had no substance. Anyways, this time I have a decent goal and am sure I will succeed. I will turn 20k into 100k. I will have about 6 months and around 25k€ in expanses. So I will need to make around 105k€.

I should beat my avg bb for 5bb/100 and put in around 60k hands / month. My goal is to increase the handcount to 70khands/month and I should be able to avg 1bb/100 more.

I played NL up to 5kNL regularly last year but went a little bit over the top with battling and brm. I've gotten a lot smarter in my approach so this year I will make things right.

I will try and update at least 1x/ week. Bankroll posts, graphs maybe some videos and livesession.

Anyways, I'll put in some theory and a session now

pce
  • 15 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Hopefully this blog of you helps you a lot to improving your game and will it not dead like your first blog :f_wink:

If you want to show pictures in your blog in the future you need to be at least a bronze member. The easiest way to be 1 is to use 1 of our free money offers and if your not interested in that you can also make a account on 1 of our other partner rooms you don’t have a account yet.

Further I wish you good luck with reaching a bankroll of 100k before December 2015 :gl:

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
      Some flex from today

1)

$2/$4 No Limit Holdem
      Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter
      Stacks:
      CO Player3 ($421.92) 105bb
      BTN Player4 ($400) 100bb
      SB Hero ($432.40) 108bb
      BB Player1 ($510.60) 128bb
      Pre-Flop: (6, 4 players) Hero is SB J:spade: 10:heart:

2 folds, Hero calls $2, Player1 checks

Flop: 10:club: 5:spade: 4:club: ($8, 2 players)
      Hero bets $4, Player1 raises to $16, Hero calls $12
      Turn: A:club: ($40, 2)
      Hero checks, Player1 bets $20, Hero raises to $106, Player1 raises to $216, Hero goes all-in $412.40, Player1 folds

Final Pot: $668.40
      Hero wins $861.80 (net +$429.40)
      Player1 lost $236

2)

$2/$4 No Limit Holdem
      Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter
      Stacks:
      UTG Player10 ($421.10) 105bb
      UTG+1 Player1 ($362.90) 91bb
      CO Player3 ($386) 97bb
      BTN Player5 ($177.10) 44bb
      SB Hero ($443.10) 111bb
      BB Player8 ($455.20) 114bb
      Pre-Flop: (6, 6 players) Hero is SB 8:heart: J:diamond:

4 folds, Hero calls $2, Player8 checks

Flop: K:club: 7:club: J:club: ($8, 2 players)
      Hero checks, Player8 bets $5.60, Hero calls $5.60
      Turn: 2:diamond: ($19.20, 2)
      Hero checks, Player8 bets $36, Hero calls $36
      River: 2:club: ($91.20, 2)
      Hero bets $45.60, Player8 folds
      Final Pot: $136.80
      Hero wins $179.40 (net +$88.20)
      Player8 lost $45.60
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      wow, who are you? playing 5knl on stars?
    • detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
      Yea, I played 5k mostly on stars but will keep my nick private
    • detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      interesting video, and surprising that you put something like that out there for free when a lot of people think even paid coaches are giving away too much strategy/info for it to be +EV for them.

isn't 55 and some of the other hands you put in IP range quite loose to call preflop HJ/MP vs a BB 3bet? (i assume you#re 3betting something like JJ+, AQ+ and various bluffs) or does the extra 20bb make a lot of difference?

you showed how larger sizes arguably increase EV for KK, but what about the other hands in your range, semibluffs/bluffs?
    • detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
      I don't think anyone who coaches can give away enough strat to change their EV noticably. There's a lot of mental ups that come with coaching so I would expect their ingame hourly to increase with coaching.

As for his calling range he will probably call 44+.

As for bluffs, assume we have a 00, so a hand that has 0% EQ and doesn't improve on any runout. We are forced to triple barrell regardless. The street where we are likely to have the highest foldequity will most frequently be the river. So we potentially generate the highest amount of EV by betting river.

Riverranges vs allins are usually static. Meaning our opponent will call 2pair+ to a pot jam and he will call a very similiar range to a half pot jam as well. So the lower the SPR for Hero is on the river the more money we make because our foldequity is static.
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      GL with your challenge!
      I will be following with great interest.
      Both hands are great. 1st one is standard IMO to bluff catch as you expect opponent to play weaker Tx and draws with raise turn in such a spot or turn pairs into a bluff (5x 4x). 2nd hand is more interesting as you turned your hand into a bluff with intention to fold Kx and perhaps even low flush (if opponent is folding those on river).
      Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but will do later.
      GL and keep on crushing!
    • detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
      Thanks,

here's the thing with H1. Most people have very poor check back vs limp ranges and especially on those stakes you will rarely see people check back suited hands. A suited hand like K3 usually goes into their raising range. Now thing is, he can still have a ton of 2pairs on that flop that beat me and he can still have a ton of equitybluffs. Those twopairs and bluffs play smooth vs JT no FD. This is something you generally want to avoid. A spot where your opponent plays his entire range very easyily and you get into tough spots where the best outcome is a slightly winning calldown.

I don't expect V to have a lot of flushdraws on the flop. I don't expect V to raise a lot of flushdraws on the flop. I don't expect V to half pot his flushes on the turn. That pretty much means V won't have Flush. The pot on Turn after his bet is 60$ and we have like 400 behind. Can V risk 400 for 60 with weak 2pair on a flushed vs uncapped Hero? No. Solution -> We turn things around and get opponent into a spot where we play very easily (x/r turn shove river) and now he has to make a huge calldown with low expectation.
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Great stuff!
      Watched the video which I will get back to in a minute but some stuff about 1st hand.
      I agree about their raising limp ranges, most guys would raise any Kxs in such spot BVB, I am surprised that even on higher stakes people don't include at least some % of them in their check range pre flop. What do you think about Jxs 9xs 8xs and all the lower suited hands pre flop? Do you feel that pre flop he raises those as well or has them in check range? If he has them in check range then post flop he has FD more often then he doesn't of course. On flop of course he then has tons of bluffs in his range mostly (BDFDs or 2nd,3rd pairs) . How sure are you that he might not raise flop with very weak flush IP, cause this can change EV of your play a bit. So turn play becomes significantly easier to play because if he doesn't raise flushes flop, he certainly doesn't have any Ax in his range (all of them are ISO pre flop?) and your turn play is standard value play. You only use vs stronger Tx (which he would ISO pre flop most likely) and loose to T5,T4 2 pair type of hands. He will still try to bluff you on turn feeling that A and flush that got there are great cards for his range but in reality he has weaker Tx , FDs, SDs and very little value.

The most interesting part about the hand is that you x/r turn from 20$ to 106$ which seems like a overkill and bluff which is probably what made him 3 bet you on turn trying to take it down. Great thing was that you were level above him and probably figured it out that to massive x/r turn he would more likely try to bluff then vs say 50$ or 60$. Also you didn't want to give him good prize for his draws and made him stack of with weaker hand to such sizing. Really well done job on the turn, you owned him :)

Can you talk about what you expected in his turn raising range, why you choose such sizing? Do you balance this play out for value or do this exploitably vs this particular opponent who you have reads would be aggressive in such spots? Your adjustment if turn doesn't complete a flush - do you continue bluff catching by river expecting that he would bluff enough combos after he raised the flop ?

KK hand in 3 bet pot was very interesting and also very common spot. Things you mentioned in your video I have been thinking about for past month or so heavily. There is so many board textures and run outs where opponent will simply in practice be over folding that 3 barrel bluffing becomes very +EV in general. In this particular texture opponent never assigns you any sets except on the river perhaps (if you 3 bet QQ vs EP as mixed strategy or merged 3 bet range but he can also have QQ in his flat to 3 bet pre flop). The only real value hands that you have is 4 combos of flopped straight and 4 more JTs (if you use it in 3bet pre flop) which gets there on the river + 98s 3 combos , total 11 combos of clear value really. So if he has any set it makes sense for him to play it the way he did and extract maximum value since you also have KK and AA which I feel is profitable call if he has bluffing frequency on river (missed flushes and straights or turning 8x or gutter into a bluff which has no showdown value). The question here is, would you protect your river check range with some of the 11 combos of value or not? If you don't then he can always know you either have bluffs or bluff catcher never straight or set which potentially is very bad if he picks up on it. So I feel in those spots it will be very difficult to balance, cause by not betting your value hands you loose tons of value vs hands that he might call such as TT and JJ that he might not potentially turn into a bluff when you check, but if you check he gets away in a way that he can bet only strong value river and check all the rest :)

Your explanations are superb about PTSR in such spots and I have been in doubt about such things for past 10 days or so. I read and studied that 2 tone or flops with two flush cards are not textures that we want to value bet massively with the reasons of getting paid by flush draws because on such textures we are never very strong favorites but we should rather think about other hands in opponents range that we beat. So in this case opponent can have TT and JJ which he pays of 2 streets for sure as well as gutters 77 66 and those are pretty much only things that we get paid off 2 streets along with FDs that he calls IP. Since this is his calling range 2 streets, with what frequency would you say that he calls his FDs flop and turn? Does he have some of FDs in flop calling, turn raising range ? It would help a lot to determine his actual river range. Goes without saying that AK calls flop, folds to double barrel here unless he has reads that you are very bluff have and he has a spade blocker. AQ and AJ call flop, fold turn, KQs is the same in such spots.
      So his range when he calls 2 streets is capped to either very strong hands (2 pairs +) or draws (fds with just some sds but it is less likely, more fds then sds of course) + some bluff catchers (TT,JJ, 66 77 from which he folds 66 on the turn or even flop most likely cause of reverse implieds). So the range he gets to river is not bluff heavy enough and your bluff catch purely depends on what his tendency will be with his bluff catchers that are now showdown value (JJ TT, 77) as well as busted FDs (very few Ax ones. So it generally seems to me that bluff catching this river is -EV play because he needs to turn hands into bluff and if he doesn't do that you loose full stack in such spot.
      This was such a great analysis from you, thank you for it, it just cleared my doubts about playing over pair on flush type textures with draws when we are never really ahead vs his range that calls down 2 streets.

Questions!
      On NL5k, or anywhere from NL200+, what do you feel is general tendency of V in such a spot when you check to him?
      How would this hand be played differently if you were IP vs EP? Would you now lean more towards betting less and pot controlling vs building the pot and pricing yourself to make river +EV x/c like in illustrated example?
      Can you introduce yourself a bit, maybe not birth certificate and such but stuff like how long you have been playing and your road in general? I feel it would be super useful and motivating especially for people who will see you as an idol and follow your footsteps.

The part about giving away edges and secrets, I somewhat agree with you. Coaching is always +EV because you as player develop multiple angles to approach a certain topic and by doing that and teaching others you teach yourself a lot in the process. The thing about high limits and good opponents, it seems that who ever works more and is better at constantly readjusting, he will make most money in the long run.
      I am curious at what point of your poker journey was it most difficult for you to bridge that gap of uncertainty about your plays vs tougher field etc?

I hope you continue to post hands and videos, I am very grateful to what you have done so far and once all the best with your challenge this year it seems like you will crush it easily!

P.S. Get some status going so that you can post graphs and connect via community tool for Skype conversations and such :)
    • detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
      Don't have much time right now and would have to think about the differences IP vs EP. Def interesting to figure out. Doing those comparisions is really good.

As for myself. I got serious about poker at age 19. 22 now. I ran my roll up to 5k. Battled a lot. Basically always tried to become the best player and not make the most money. So although I knew I was likely to be -EV in the strong 5k 3handed lineups I still said, well I'll learn so much blabla. I mean at that point it felt like there's a 10% chance I go on a 200k heater and I can lock things up right now and make a point financially. And on the other hand I could lose a few buyins and move down, grind back up. And I took it.
      Then there was a session on Full tilt with Hayley fish and a reg who was breako on 1k. We played 6 tables 5k and I got rekt. Next day, I'm now definitely not rolled to battle this lineup 4handed. But sat down again and lost a lot. Proceeded to lose another 60+ buyins on 600-2k and gg. I lasted about 3 months on 5k I think and I battled almost always.

But yea, it's just nuts to play 3handed topplayers with less than 80 buyins.

I am curious at what point of your poker journey was it most difficult for you to bridge that gap of uncertainty about your plays vs tougher field etc?

Comes and goes :)
    • detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
      Something to work on..

Okay so, goal for right now is to get in 5 days straight with 6 hour grind and 1 hour+ theory. After that I will increase my hours a bit but first things first.
      As I'm struggling a bit with that I will make a list of things not to do to hit my hours.

Go to gym and training same day -> stupid. Gym takes around 1.5hours training around 1hour + 2 times eating and 1 hour relaxing -> 4.5h-5h. Also leaves me too tired in my last session.

-> Solution only go to gym or training and make sure to be home before 4.30pm

-> watching series or reading book before sleep -> keeps you from sleeping and kills your rhythm

-> 5pm 2 h grind 2h break 9pm 2h grind 2 h break 1am 2h grind eat sleep
      This should be easy

-> Also cut training to max 5x/ week and put 2 trainingdays on offdays -> leaves 2 free grinddays.

-> Other than that, start doing theory at least 20 mins before session, don't drag it out too long.

As for this week I went gym today, training tomorrow. Then Friday and Sunday off (ONEFC and UFC :f_thumbsup: ) So Wed and thursday grind and no training.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      How it’s going with you’re the challenge the last 2 weeks?
    • detrhone
      detrhone
      Basic
      Hi,

I will update properly in August. Last few weeks have been really good. I think my lowest point BR wise was April with around 9k and monthly expanses of 4.5-5.5k. That was a little bit too scary so won't let that happen again. We are sitting on about 45k€ now and I spent around 15k€. So around 50k€ profit last 4 months. Solid.

I never felt this good with my grind and the biggest factor is definitely the much tighter BRM. Most of my pokerlife I've been shotting with 30 buyins, sometimes even 25 if I saw a fish and my 'shots' would usually end up in me battling 2 regs 6 tables the next day. That caused me to go through huge swings especially mentally. It's just too easy to lose 5-8 buyins in a session. And there's no way it's healthy to lose 15-25% of your bankroll in 2 hours.

Right now I play 200-1kNL and I sold 10% of my action on 1k. So my shot stake has 50 buyins and I keep myself from battling before I hit 60 buyins without selling action.

I keep messing around with my DB's a lot as I tweak some things I'm not happy with, then start a new DB and see how my stats evolve. My current DB has 35k hands and I'll post a graph when I have 100k hands. I might start posting daily or weekly profit updates. Not sure, will think about something.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      woah, monthly expenses of ~5k? how? i'd have to buy a ton of luxury stuff to spend that much.
      i think spending too much per month is a huge danger and hinderance for good poker players.

don't post daily profit updates, they're just lame + not supportive of good mindset imo

do you have a PG&C thread too?