TAG or LAG for live poker ?

• ahmshere
      ahmshere
      Bronze
      Good morning everybody ! I've been always wondering why the players who play a lot of hands have a big castle of chips in front of them everytime... I used to be a TAG type of player but everybody from the table avoided me when I raised ... Beside this, I was making very small profit and sometimes none.. And also those LAG players were so unpredictable ... It is also believed that playing more hands helps you to get experience much faster than being TAG... What do you think , which can be more profitable in the long run TAG style or LAG style ?
  • 5 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I would take a TAG approach with a lot of LAG players at the table. I think that works the best to earn money of them, but overall isn’t that a great table to play on without other playing styles on the table I think.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      LAG erry day all day
    • LuckyLucianooo
      LuckyLucianooo
      Bronze
      Play TAG against weak players and play LAG against TAG players!
    • teddypoker
      teddypoker
      Bronze
      Hi ahmshere,

I've played quite a lot live cash in the past 3 years and what I can tell you is that playing LAG is not the optimal strategy that I recommend. Unless you pay very much attention at the table in the first 2 hours, make strong reads on each opponent and have a very clear idea how to exploit them posflop. But this only with very strong reads.
      Playing TAG is the most optimal strategy that you can apply. Why? Because if you open marginal hands PF, especially in early position almost all the time you find yourself posflop OOP in a multi way pot. Players at live tend to be very loose PF. In late position you can play more wide but with big caution.
      It is also believed that playing more hands helps you to get experience much faster than being TAG
      doing that will expose you to high variance swings, you learn the game faster if you play online, at live the sample is too low to help you learn the game proper
      I also face the same issue playing TAG, players at the table where complaining that i don't play any hand and sometimes they even announce that out loud when I was raising. The solution for this was very simple: every time you join a game make the buy in if is possible to be bigger than the largest stack at the table, or at least maximum that they allow you to make it. Trust me, no one at the table will not mess with the biggest stack and you will get plenty of value even if you play 1 hand/hour ;) Also very +EV for your because you will have better pot odds for set mining and posflop you can put more pressure.
    • WhiteWalker
      WhiteWalker
      Bronze
      For me a TAG strategy is easier to apply, less knowledge is required and you can afford to enjoy yourself at the table without mentally draining yourself trying to keep track of playing tendencies and exploiting them constantly as a lag. I am not saying you don't do this as a tag but it is much more simple to play and you can obviously bluff squeeze in dream spots but when your table image allows it.

For me I feel TAG is the option due to the live games available to me, 10% Rake!. Thats rediculous and I find if I play LAG and commit 30% of my stack to the pot then a large percentage gets taken off the table it is not good for me or the game. As a result I play TAG and choose wisely when to put my money in to the RAKE PIT.