My Poker Career.

• ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      As Alot of peoples reason for writing a blog, i'm writing for self-improvement and with the hope that other players can advise me on my downfalls. Before now, my poker career has been full awful BRM, bad plays, leaks but lots of ups and downs.

My biggest win in a MTT sng was placing second in a $12 buy-in, 180 player turbo on PokerStars winning a nice sum of $396 (For me anyway!) .. The same night before hand i'd won a $2.20 buy-in, 180 player turbo receiving $108. I decided to take my winnings to a $3/$6 (awful BRM) cash table and manage to double up to just under $1000 ($997) from pocket kings. Right then i felt on top of the world and no one could stop me!

I took most of my winnings into a $5/$10 cash table and reached an all-time high of $1800. However after a short break and being so close to cashing out, i decided to have one more go at winning more money to play with and again into a $5/$10 cash table but the harsh reality of my bad play and soon caught up with me and my BR slowly fell lower and lower.

Eventually i was left with nothing and was totally devestated. In the course of 48 hours i'd manage to move from $10 to $1800 and back down to nothing. At this point i was on the brink of completely quitting and leaving poker for good, however i decided to try sharpen up my (what i thought to be) Medium+ play and have keep on moving forward in the world of poker and this is where PokerStrategy give me hope.

At first i was dumbfounded at how bad my game really was and couldn't believe it. I recieve my free $50 starting capital and ignored all the articles on BRM and slipped back into my old ways. $400 dollars was my highest point but that quickly halved as i lost $200 to 56s with pocket kings. You could say tilt set in and my narrow minded approach of "Well it isn't my money" took over and true to character, the rest of my BR was gone.

I then reread all the articles on BRM, SSS and psychology i could numerous times and something finally clicked. I am finally ready to recieve criticism and and review my own game and bad play.

This is now where i find myself now. After putting a tiny amount of $11 into my PS account i've set out on making this a fresh start and a way forward. After a short 1 - 2 hours of play tonight following strict BRM and treating the SSS article as the bible my brankroll has increased to $13.05, a small sum but a good start.

My girlfriend decided she wanted to play $1.10 DoN for fun with my help and being the sucker that i am i agreed. We managed to cash in with a profit of $0.90 and a game in which i tryed to use all my knowledge from PokerStrategy to analyse plays, take position into consideration and also villain chip stacks. After this i decided to play 2 NL0.5/0.10 cash tables and as i said following the strict rules PS set. I managed to come across some hands that would help me improve my game with the feedback of others so i write them here.

Sorry for the wall of text, just a little background information of why im here and why i want to improve :D

Adam.
  • 6 replies
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.70
      BU:
      $6.10

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , K:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, BU calls $0.40, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) 2:diamond: , Q:spade: , Q:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.30 (All-In), BU folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.95

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of queens (Ac Ks)

Hero wins with a pair of queens (Ac Ks)

Was i right to C-bet in this situation? agains't unkown and with his fishy mid stack of $6.10 i thought he could've called me with a range of hands and with 2 queens coming out on the flop i thought the chances of him having a queen should be quite slim, So i moved all in as 2/3 of the pot would be way roughly half my stack, was this the correct move?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $11.40
      MP2:
      $12.80
      Hero:
      $1.70

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:spade: , Q:heart:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds, BB calls $0.40, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($1.15) 3:heart: , 5:spade: , 6:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.20 (All-In), BB folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.15

Hero shows high card ace with queen kicker (As Qh)

Hero wins with high card ace with queen kicker (As Qh)

Again this hand was almost simultaneous with the previous on my other table. With a low straight draw on the flop and no flush draw, i believed we both had over cards but i held the stronger hand, so again i moved all in, again was this the correct move?

The final interesting hand of the night was one which lead to my biggest profit. After previously folding 99 on my other table as BB to a raise, i observed from previous hands that this villain was quite a loose player with fishy tendencies. I assumed he had a mediocre hand and was just trying to steal the blinds so i planned on reraising but moved all in as this would equate to more than half my chipstack (over 3/4) to my suprise he called me and at this point i started to doubt as to wether this was the correct move.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.90
      BU:
      $10.90

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:heart: , 9:diamond:
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.90 (All-In), BB folds, BU calls $1.40.

Flop: ($3.90) 7:diamond: , Q:club: , 4:diamond:
      Turn: ($3.90) 8:diamond:
      River: ($3.90) 4:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.90

Hero shows two pairs, nines and fours (9h 9d)
      BU shows two pairs, fours and deuces (2d 2s)

Hero wins with two pairs, nines and fours (9h 9d)

I am uninterested in the result but more so the actual play with my assumed knowledge of this villain.

over stats for Day 1:

Start: $11
      End: $13.05
      BB/100h: 8.33

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Adam
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      nice blog
      i don't have any advice on your SSS play as i play BSS, SnGs and Fl.
      GL building your BR.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      ABShortland

The ak and aq hands were standard short stack play. Correct to move in after the flop. When a pot is raised by cutoff or button with no limpers in the pot they are most likely stealing. Sometimes these positions can have a legitimate hand. Nice resteal raise. Might wanna read the article on restealing if you haven't already.

What's your nick on stars? I also play NL10 sss. This level seems very fishy to me. Just apply the theory and you will be fine. Good luck.

Matt.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      wow talk about a big swing.

As for the plays the first two are good.

With 99 You are supposed to just fold. But I guess it would be allright if he is super fishy. There are so many hands that you are going to be in a race with.
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Thanks for the comments :) I Think i'll just try stick to the articles as solidly as i can.

Played a good few hours of SSS upped my BR to a nice $20.05 :) .. After coming home from work i decided to play multiple DoN's as a break from grinding and also because this is the type of play i would like to focus my primary game around.

Played 3 set's of 6, Cashed in 3 / 6 in the first set due to moment of stupidness, and 4 / 6 in the last 2 sets which i was pleased with :) .. bringing my BR $2.25, i then decided to try my luck in the $2.20 180 player turbo as a little reward to myself, but didn't do so well as i got into an awful situation of my QQ vs AA. I then decided to play one final set but for some reason i played a set of 10 (which i will Never! do again lol) although i managed to cash in 7 / 10 the chaos it brought to my tiny monitor was far too much for me to handle! That set brought a profit of $3 bringing my total BR to $23.05 however i must've played some more SSS as 25 cents has appeared unaccounted for! :) so an actual total of $23.25!

A hand that annoyed me today was a free play from the BB.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $6.20
      Hero:
      $1.80
      BU:
      $18.35

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7:heart: , 9:diamond:
      UTG2 calls $0.10, 4 folds, BU calls $0.10, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.40) 8:spade: , T:diamond: , 6:club: (4 players)
      SB bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, UTG2 folds, BU calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.70) T:club: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, BU folds, SB calls $0.40.

River: ($1.90) J:diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.00 (All-In), SB calls $1.00.

Final Pot: $3.90

Hero shows a straight, jack high (7h 9d)
      SB shows a full-house, tens full of jacks (Js Th)

SB wins with a full-house, tens full of jacks (Js Th)

I flopped a straight and pretty much thought i was going to win this hand for sure, so i decided to slowplay. With the second 10 on the river i was hoping he had hit 3 of a kind so i could draw as much money as possible from him, however the thought of a fullhouse from a pocket pair did cross my mind, i was still sure i had the best hand, only for the river to bring him his full house. Was slow playing the right thing to do? Or should i have just sticked to the aggressive nature of the SSS and tried to win the pot there and then?

Thanks in Advance

Adam!
    • Gambitwd
      Gambitwd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ABShortland
      As Alot of peoples reason for writing a blog, i'm writing for self-improvement and with the hope that other players can advise me on my downfalls. Before now, my poker career has been full awful BRM, bad plays, leaks but lots of ups and downs.

My biggest win in a MTT sng was placing second in a $12 buy-in, 180 player turbo on PokerStars winning a nice sum of $396 (For me anyway!) .. The same night before hand i'd won a $2.20 buy-in, 180 player turbo receiving $108. I decided to take my winnings to a $3/$6 (awful BRM) cash table and manage to double up to just under $1000 ($997) from pocket kings. Right then i felt on top of the world and no one could stop me!

I took most of my winnings into a $5/$10 cash table and reached an all-time high of $1800. However after a short break and being so close to cashing out, i decided to have one more go at winning more money to play with and again into a $5/$10 cash table but the harsh reality of my bad play and soon caught up with me and my BR slowly fell lower and lower.

Eventually i was left with nothing and was totally devestated. In the course of 48 hours i'd manage to move from $10 to $1800 and back down to nothing. At this point i was on the brink of completely quitting and leaving poker for good, however i decided to try sharpen up my (what i thought to be) Medium+ play and have keep on moving forward in the world of poker and this is where PokerStrategy give me hope.

At first i was dumbfounded at how bad my game really was and couldn't believe it. I recieve my free $50 starting capital and ignored all the articles on BRM and slipped back into my old ways. $400 dollars was my highest point but that quickly halved as i lost $200 to 56s with pocket kings. You could say tilt set in and my narrow minded approach of "Well it isn't my money" took over and true to character, the rest of my BR was gone.

I then reread all the articles on BRM, SSS and psychology i could numerous times and something finally clicked. I am finally ready to recieve criticism and and review my own game and bad play.

This is now where i find myself now. After putting a tiny amount of $11 into my PS account i've set out on making this a fresh start and a way forward. After a short 1 - 2 hours of play tonight following strict BRM and treating the SSS article as the bible my brankroll has increased to $13.05, a small sum but a good start.

My girlfriend decided she wanted to play $1.10 DoN for fun with my help and being the sucker that i am i agreed. We managed to cash in with a profit of $0.90 and a game in which i tryed to use all my knowledge from PokerStrategy to analyse plays, take position into consideration and also villain chip stacks. After this i decided to play 2 NL0.5/0.10 cash tables and as i said following the strict rules PS set. I managed to come across some hands that would help me improve my game with the feedback of others so i write them here.

Sorry for the wall of text, just a little background information of why im here and why i want to improve :D

Adam.
      hey Adam :)

Your wall like you said is my old reflection in the mirror, by now im sure you know that you havent been the only one having horrible BRM and its a must to respect. I will keep on reading your blog just got time to read the wall for now teehee ;)

catchya later

Christine :heart: