Poker survey

• jdsdog10
      jdsdog10
      Basic
      Hi everyone,
      I am doing a little bit of research for a project I'm doing for a college course. It is on mathematics in poker and how it impacts performance. It is a short 9 question multiple choice quiz that shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 minutes. If you would just fill it out, so I could use the results for my project, that would be extremely helpful! If you're concerned it will be anonymous. It is contained on a google drive form which has a link attached.
      Thank you!Link Text...
  • 8 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Hello jdsdog10

Welcome to the PokerStrategy forum :welcome:

I have done your survey, but I had a question about the question ‘What percentage of tournaments played do you get paid?’
      I can’t filled up the right answer there, because I cash most likely around 18% of the tournaments I played. So I think it’s better to make that a ‘open question’ or change the answer possibilities.

Further I wish you good luck with you’re survey :gl:

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • jdsdog10
      jdsdog10
      Basic
      Thanks alot for your participation!
      I will have to tweak that out. That is actually one of my pet peeves when it comes to surveys, when the answer you want to put down is right in between the two offered answers. I will have to either add a couple more options, or either add an extra option where you can type in the result.
      Thanks for the tip!
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jdsdog10
      Thanks alot for your participation!
      I will have to tweak that out. That is actually one of my pet peeves when it comes to surveys, when the answer you want to put down is right in between the two offered answers. I will have to either add a couple more options, or either add an extra option where you can type in the result.
      Thanks for the tip!

Cheers
      Nice easy survey format
      Couple of things:
      Q1 Assumes poker player understands his own range as a fraction, usually understanding would be % This will vary by game type, the answers you get cannot be compared to each other unless in the same game.
      Q2. Player who monitor or are aware of their own PFR will understand it in term of %,
      Q3. The old sliding self qualifying scale. Players who know their aggression rate will be able to give an accurate figure for the game they play
      Q4 Not sure Y you have 3 calculus choices, why not add trigonometry and imaginary numbers for their irrelevance to poker (unless you are after knowledge of broader concepts.

Later adds, integral calculus, differential calculus and for me calculus and analytical geometry was my third class.

Q5. some player will understand mathematical concepts in many ways you have not presented eg draw odds, outs, roi bb/100 etc, equity, opportunity
      Last question
      The answer to this question gives different values depending on game format played eg 55/50 tournaments might give 55% (losing player) and 1 in 10,000 (won one world poker championship) Many player will know their ROI however, this is a mathematical concept that will give you a consistent answer across many game types, unlike the ones you have chosen to use.
      Hope that helps
      Regards Michael.
      Ps It is usually the responsibility of the surveyor to report back findings to participants
      If this is not possible the future owner of the data should be identified.
    • jdsdog10
      jdsdog10
      Basic
      Thanks for the participation and the input!
      As far the the first two questions, I was originally going to put it as a percentage. It would have been easier for players who track their stats, but for those who don't, it is easier to think in terms of "I play x out of y hands" rather than converting it to a percentage. For the third Q, I realize that it is a pretty subjective question. Q4 was mainly to see how advanced one is in math courses. I will be doing an analysis to see if their is any relation to higher math knowledge and poker success.
      Q5, I am aware of that, I was mainly after some pretty basic concepts. And your last question, I do realize that, and it is a weakness in the survey. I will not be looking at that statistic individually, but it will be compared with the payout question as well.
      Thanks again!
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      Q4 Is usually captured with level of education
      Q5 mathematical success is not the same as financial success
      (please consider Return on investment)
      also be aware that "poker players" I suspect like all gamblers dramatically overestimate their success, certainly enough to discredit the results of any user survey

imo the best way to run this survey is start with groups of players who's stats are known (which will be close to all of them online;-), and then do a math test/questionnaire. For this all you need is a username
      :-)
    • HennieP
      HennieP
      Bronze
      Participated.
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-30/new-approach-to-treating-problem-gamblers-uses-mathematics/5928796

Dear OP, could not find much in the way of previous research on this question, so a worthwhile inquiry for your college project.
      :heart:
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HennieP
      Participated.
      +1

Pretty easy and simple. :f_thumbsup: