(HELP) Huge difference in NL5 Zoom FR to NL2

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Sup PS'erz,
      I've been grinding alot of NL2 full ring zoom on stars, and i've been crushing it 10BB+/100 over a 70k sample size.
      Now the trouble is, i've moved up to NL5 and i appear to be getting crushed. There is almost 10x more 3betting preflop, alot more aggressive play postflop and the skill level seems on a a whole new level compared with NL2.

I was just wondering what you're experience is with these limits, perhaps what stats you run, your BB/100 and how you might of adapted to overcome this limit. Any advice is appreciated! :f_love:
  • 17 replies
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      I was around the same WR @ NL2 zoom, but my WR @ NL5 went down to 3 or 4..
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      How many hands have in NL5?
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Hi Windar.
      I have around 40k hands (this was a while back) and i was at a complete loss.
      There seems to be alot more regs and 3bets going on then at NL2. Did you just stick to the same strategy? What sort of stats do you play?
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      Hey,

What strategy were you using for NL2. Made some little adjustments, have you tried the regular games?
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      You should be beating NL5 with no problems with a TAG strategy just the same as NL2, maybe with a lower win rate. If you're sticking to the starting hands charts it means you are leaking post flop. You're either folding too much, not folding when you should fold, cbetting and multiple barreling too much in the wrong situations or getting in trouble in 3 bet pots. You'll have to analyze this yourself. In general, avoid trouble and you'll be back to winning again. And yes, there are many more regs, most are very tightish, these are like 20 to 30% of the players and then there is a 10% of so of LAGs. The fish are pretty dispersed, with luck you have 1 fish a table, maybe 2 sometimes, it isn't crawling with fish like NL2. As a rule generally don't go allin without the nuts postflop and without AA preflop, unless you are up against a complete fish or very spewy players, but going allin without the nuts vs. regs you'll run into trips, flushes and straights just about every time with an overpair or even two pair. Get used to check calling to control the pot or even folding in some situations with overpair or top pair when villain clearly indicates he was picked something up. Good folds save money.
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      It will also help for you to indicate specifically what things you think you had problems with @ NL5, then work from there..
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      Do you have Skype DecMate? I just switched to Zoom and starting to stick this time. I played at regular games normally up to NL10..
    • totalfish
      totalfish
      Bronze
      Just adapt your game, if you see that they 3beting you a lot when you are stealing from late position then tigheten up your range or if they fold a lot pre,raise more. try to 3bet from LP, generally is very profitable but you should pick up carrefully your spots. also study about 3betting spots. But i don't think thats necessery beacause its not so much difference in NL5 zoom just play abc poker don't levelling your self, avoid tough spots, play big pots with big hands, try small bluffs usually when you are in position and thats it.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Hey, thanks alot for the feedback guys, but can i just ask, have you ACTUALLY played NL5 Zoom or are just talking to me theoretically?
      This isn't "in my head" or anything like this - i have a huge sample size at both limits and i've stuck to the same strategy and i appear to be getting absolutely crushed at the latter.

Here's my graphs:

NL2:
      (PRETTY PROUD OF THIS ;) )

NL5:

As you can see, this isn't something i'm exaggerating or over thinking.
      My skype is idecmate feel free to add me ^
    • totalfish
      totalfish
      Bronze
      i have played NL2 up to NL10 4tabling with decent amount of hands. i haven't see much difference between NL2-NL5. In NL5 i steal a lot from CO and BTN something like 40% of my range and if they play back to me by calling a lot or 3betting i tighen up my range and steal less (try to pay attention who is in the blinds, if i have rock type players i will steal all day even with a garbage hand). I try to play in position as much as i can. i try to bluff with the right flop by cbetting usually in potision and if im OOP i rarely bluff . avoid 3barrel or 2barrel bluffs keep the things simple. always keep in mind that BIG pots are for BIG hands.
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      I played both in zoom and regular. Though I play regular more, 1.2m in NL2 and around 800k in NL5. I agree with totalfish.
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      And probably the best advise you can get from this thread. Have you tried reading Crushing the Micros by Nathan?
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      NL5 is almost always below 10% players/flop - almost no donkeys. But full of bad nitty regs who play "by the book" which is pretty easy to exploit. Play a "6-max style", 3bet bluff alot and barrel their asses off. If you dont like it, just table select - there are donkeys on regular tables at all levels :f_thumbsup:
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Thanks again for the responses.
      Windar, i haven't! I'll try and torrent it or something, pretty skint atm :D

The hands i put in at NL5 were actually before my 70k hands at NL2. So i'm currently taking another shot at NL5. And so far so good, this is the graph for since i've moved up so far:

So i'm not doing too bad :f_love:

Windar, are those hands in FR or SH? Sick volume o.O!
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      FR: I've played at NL2 for 1.3m, 800k at NL5 and some at NL10. Yeah, sick volume, poor mindset that's why I'm still at these stakes. Give me your email I can send you some ebooks to beat this stakes consistently..
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Windar add me on skype too!

[Edited by Lazza61]

What's your BB/100 for both btw?
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey guys,

Exchange of personal contact information in the English community is not permitted under our our forum principles. Please use the community tool for this purpose.

Regards

Laz