Burning my boat, and taking the island!

• cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Burning my boat, and taking the island!

This summarizes pretty much what this is all about. I have been writing on this first blog post for a month now and just postponed the moment of release because I knew that, if I will release it , I will have no way back, so I was scared of committing to actions.

But no more, today is Monday, June 1st, a perfect day to start a new "anything", I have the perfect excuse now. Perfect in so many ways, exactly 3 years ago I was starting my very first poker blog and I was learning to play poker the right way without having any results before, and I did it pretty good in a very short period of time, following some good and disciplined routines. So now I am putting my big boy pants, and put together what I have learned until now and I will make this blog a masterpiece of owning poker, health, happiness and life in general.

Now I have no way back and no excuses, I have burned the boat(i.e finally making this post), I will just have to keep track of everything right here otherwise I will look like a parrot.

A short overview of my poker career:

Started playing FR NL2 on 888 in June 2012, and with some hard work and dedication I managed in 7 months to succesfully play NL100 and in 8 months I managed to go from 50$ to 10k$. Short time after that I was also playing NL200(small volume there though). This is my blog in the romanian comunity with my evolution: http://ro.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=24083 (in romanian, if someone interested)

Anyways, I reached this peak and after that I kind of got stucked and didn't make the effort to go for the next level, and continued for the past year to play 100nl and 200nl, with a decent 4.7bb/100(wich is not so gread considering that I was playing on 888 and stars.fr where games are softer)

Here is my graph until the biginning of 2015:

Now
      So here I am more than one year later making my comeback to maintain healthy, poker and life, routines.

I did some big bankroll mistakes last year, I've spent more money than I afforded last summer: made some investments(including a staking business that I invested some money and a loooot of time that did not payed off as expected evetually ) and spent a lot of money on vacations and stuff , and combined with a constant downswig, and verry low volume I found myself barely being able to play 100NL, so , last autum I got down to NL50 and also shifted to SH games , and it was going decent until this spring when I had a decent BR and I decided to finally put my big boy pants and leave the country to go to Thailand, which was something I was thinking for more than a year. But life had a surprise for me, literally the next day after I bought the airplane ticket, I got into a downswing that kept for 1 and a half months during which I lost 40BIs. And then the time to go to Asia came. Fortunately I still had a good BR + I had as a backup the BR we had for staking players(it was me + BogdanPS and another partner ) so those money helped alot.

So off I was to Asia. Decided to go first to Malaysia to have my visa for Thailand and I ended up staying almost one month there, maybe I will share some of my stories I lived there , but later in the blog. Of course, poker volume was close to 0 when I was in Malaysia, and the little I played the bigger the loss I had :) ) but I really had some great times there. Now I have more then a month since I have been here in Bangkok and managed to play a little volume after I found an apartment to rent and settle down.

Poker Plans

In the last 1-2 months I tested out switching to HU, did some study and gradually starting to play some nl25/nl50 hands. So from now on I will be playing full time HU NL50 on Pokerstars, Fulltilt and some other small european network. I will start with these and will see how it goes.

Later this month I hope I can get my money together and start coaching with one of the most successful HU players around here, Pavel, or Ilidek. Now I know that if you want to be successful in any area, either if you want to be a great dancer or have great relationships with people or be extremely fit or run 100km or own your own business or win 1millon dollars at poker, whatever you want, the easiest way is to find someone who already did that and replicate their actions. So knowing this, it comes natural that I searched to work with Pavel to help me get there faster(at least on my poker related goals)

Poker goals:

:diamond: shot NL100 until 1st of August 2015
      :diamond: be a reg at NL100 until 1st of September 2015
      :diamond: be a reg at NL200 until 1st of November 2015
      :diamond: shot NL400 until 1st of January 2016

Life, wealth and fitness goals:

:heart: have a six pack until the end of august
      :heart: run a marathon until the end of 2015
      :heart: finish an iron man competition until the end of 2016

.....this list to be updated in the next 2 weeks tops along with the plan for them

The bulletproof plan:
      Over time I tried many things and I have seen many things working like charm and other failing majestically both on my personal experiences and following others experiences and results. Based on that I've developed what I called a "bulletproof plan" to keep me on track and safe from distractions and from falling into those many easy traps that prevents success.

Every 2 weeks:
      80/20 analysis every 2 weeks (I will tell you more about this later)

Every Week:
      weekly "live play video" (play a session and record it)
      weekly review of previous week "live play video" (record again with coments)
      database review for last week hands
      weekly productivity report analysis

Every day:

session review(previous session or previous day)
      -marked hands
      -big loosing hands
      -every hand at tables were I lost the most
      do Equilab/Flopzila exercises
      set daily poker goals
      watch one poker video
      wormup before session
        -prepare you desktop+water + eat if you are hungry
        -read evaluated hands and take notes
        -read skill leak doc
        -read working on doc
        -write goals for sessions +priorities
      cooldown after session

Now finally I am done with the blog, I feel good now and I am confident that I will have succes, I am a man of challanges, I remeber that in 2013 I had a challange to run every day for one year with no break, no matter what. And I did it. It didn't mattered that it was Christmas or Easter, or too hot or to much snow or rain, I was there every day for 365 days. I was insane and I miss having a challange as big as that one, and this is the one my friends, in poker in life, in fitness and wealth I will have the money I never had, the body I never felt, the relationships I never experienced, and the life that I deserve.
  • 58 replies
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Post reserved for things that I might have missed in the initial blog post.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Post reserved for a summary of important post troughout this blog.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Post reserved "just in case", as I am a OCD freak! :) )
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Now lets look a bit at my result playing HU.

So NL25, considering the rake of 25,5bb/100 hands that I payed and that the EV WR is 5bb/100 I consider a good starting point.

NL50. This does not look so good but It's a small sample so I dont jump into conclusions yet.

Today I played a few hours in the morning and then I got busy finishing this blog. I played kind of bad, will make a review tomorrow and see what happend.

Also tomorrow I will have a friend from couchsurfing coming from Spain to visit Thayland. She will stay at my place so I plan to go out with her exploring the city it will be hard to keep on my daily tasks but I will find a way.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      So one of my weekly goals is to make the productivity analysis.

Let's look at the last week:

51%,,,iihhh not good enough. I have to cut down the facebook time and other shitty "soicial" applications that are distracting me. We are living in react to whatever world asks from us, always responding, always checking the phone, answering emails etc instead of acting toward something, consciously doing actions that will prompt us straight to our goals.

Anyways, the important think is that I improved over last week, and definately improved over my hole year . Looking at the hole year until now I have a really shitty productivity pulse.

So guys, if you wonder what this is about send me a message and ask me about it as I am not allowed to post it here.

Gonna play a session now! 6am here, hehe life is good early in the morning!
    • Annda1
      Annda1
      Basic
      Frumos, iti doresc multa bafta si nu uita „where focus goes energy flows”! :f_thumbsup:
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Hello cleoclaudiu

I’m afraid the Romanian forum principles are different than the English forum principles. In http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/thread.php?threadid=187546 isn’t allowed to post referral links and that’s why I removed your link.

I hope you understand it, but if you have questions about it don’t hesitate to ask them.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      So here are my results for today:
      X session review(previous session or previous day)
      X do Equilab/Flopzila exercises
      X set daily poker goals
      X watch one poker video
      X wormup before session

I wake up at 5, did played like 1k hands and did some sesion review until 12 and after that I have spent all day with my friend from Spain around Bangkok. I managed to finaly get a hair cut because I had almost 3 months since I had one as I don't relly trust this thai girls who dont even speak english and it is hard to explain how you want them to cut your hair. More than that they usually sit on a chair and cut your hair wich looks totaly unprofessional. Anyways I found a cool girl in a mall, and showed her a picture with my last hair cut and it was good eventually.

• cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Results for today:

X set daily poker goals
      X watch one poker video
      X worm up before session

When I say results as you can see I dont post graphs as those are irrelevant. I did not played much but I did checked 3 greens so I am working my way up.

I was still pretty busy with the girl from Spain. Interesting girl, she just started her 6 months trip around Asia, with verry few money, mainly trying to coachsurf(that is the way she found me) . She is brave, like she trusted to stay in my apartment even if I did not have any reviews on couchsurfing. She has some balls. Anyways it was fun meeting her, I am curious how her trip will end up.

Tonight we went here in the neigbourhood in a spanish restaurant with some other friends of mine from England and drink some beers and Sangria. It was first time when I drink that and I can tell it wont be the last :) )

Good night people, here its 12pm so time for me to sleep, tomorrow wake up at 5 and play some poker.

• wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      I added you as friend, I want to ask you something about some stuff
    • rommycaRNMD
      rommycaRNMD
      Bronze
      Ten cuidado con la chica espanola.. :) it won't be long until ... she want to learn some poker.. he he do you know what i mean.. !
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      @wazawanga accepted your request

@rommy Actually she just left my home now, shes going in the north in a monastary for a few weeks to meditate. She will meditate there like 9 hours a day every day . Its crazy. Anyways it was my first experience hosting someone from couchsurfing and it was nice helping a stranger, it feels really good.

Now I will do some worm up, looking over some hands and I will pun in a few poker hours.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      About poker day. I played around 1k hands today, pretty decent. I started sitting on regulars today. Before I did not want to do that but I think about it and I realized that most regulars that are just waiting for fish don't have enough experience playing othe regulars especially at NL50, so I thought I can benefit from that. I was right, they are scared money and uncapable of adapting, for example at some point I had 100% fold vs 3bet as I really didn't got a decent hand but the opponent was only 3betting me like 15-20% only. The better regulars have a better mindset and at least dont play with other regulars because they know they are underdog most of the time. Anyways, its not like I am the best over there, I am not, because I also sit with some good opponents , and when I realized that are better than me I just quit them.

Lets have a look over my actions for today:
      X set daily poker goals
      X watch one poker video
      X worm up before session

About life.

I just came back from the floating center. For those of you who don't know what that is, please watch/listen this video:

Today was the 6th session I did in the float tank, I did it once on the new years eve in Belgium and I did it every week since I was in Bangkok. I am getting there, I learn to realax more and more. I had some insights about poker. I was getting nervous in there, I was kind of bored at some point and wanted to move around in the tank, I was feeling exactly as I feel sometime when I play poker and I am anctious about getting the money from my opponent faster, like they allready belong to me. And I realized that nothing belongs to me, I should have no expectations from poker, accept everything and expect nothing. And then the anctious feeling has passed, I just let it go and reaxed in there.

Now lets aply this to poker. Go to sleep now and wake up tomorrow 5am ready to rock.

Some picturesc from todays float session:

• cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Interesting thing today. I literraly played every regular on the platforms I played except pokerstars as on the other 2 I have a deposit bonus and I prefer playing there. So I took them one by one and all sitout in the first 0-20 hands exept one that I quit on him after 40 hands as I could not find a clear way to exploit him and he had some unconventional lines that I don't know how to respond to.

I think I have to find a 4th platform to play on so I can have action.

Today:
      X set daily poker goals
      X watch one poker video
      X worm up before session
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Today I took another day off as I have an old friend visiting from Pattaya. She was a colegue of mine back in Romania in university and we havent seen each other in 4 years. We went today to a couchsurfing event. We were like 15 people from all over the world and bought some food , cooked it, eat it while having some beers. I met interesting people. Life is good.

Here are some pics:

• cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      It has been a crazy day in Bangkok today. Tomorow will make the weekly report and everything. For now, the results for today:

X set daily poker goals
      X watch one poker video
      X worm up before session

Pretty much nothing poker related although it should have been a poker day. I will have to regroup from tomorrow and start getting things done.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Hi guys, it's time for my weekly report, my first weekly report.

X weekly "live play video" (play a session and record it)
      X weekly review of previous week "live play video" (record again with coments)
      X database review for last week hands
      X weekly productivity report analysis

So I didn't do the video analysis part, and I did not do many of the daily tasks that I had to. Looking back it looks pretty bad. But it's okay, it's just my first week, and the good thing is that I have traked all down and I can measure the imprvements. So study wise I have been kind of lazy, only checkt 12 out of 25 tasks for the week, wich means 48%.

Volume/results wise doesn't look so good either. Here is last week graph:

4k hands/week it's low, I would aim on 7k or something, but considering the number of days I played it;s okaay, I don;t care much about volume now as I care about studying the game.

The productivity report doesn't look so good either, but at least I did not spend time on facebook wassup or tinder and other time waisters like last week. But still 50% its not good at all.

[img]

Some conclusions after this week:

1. I have to find another platform where I can play
      2. I need to set up the first coaching with Ilidek as I have a lot of questions and hands or situations I want to ask him about
      3. I will do the reviews in the same day as the session I want to review because it is verry important to have fresh in mind the game dinamic in certain time of the game. Othewise if you look at some hands after a week in complete vacuum it;s whatever.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      Todays results:

X set daily poker goals
      X watch one poker video
      X worm up before session

I have to take more serious this list as I am not consciously thinking about it troughout the day. I get anctious to play and I end up saying to myslef " I just sit at the tables and meanwhile I will do the wormup" and everytime I do that I get instant action and I skip the worm up. About watching a video again, I was just postponed it to "later" and now its too late and I have to sleep. This is not the way to go, tomorrow will change things a little bit.
    • cleoclaudiu
      cleoclaudiu
      Bronze
      X set daily poker goals
      X watch one poker video
      X worm up before session

A green day today. I managed to also put in some volume. Money wise not verry good and not green at all, but I am working on it although I feel kind of frustrating that I can't put 2 winning days one after another. I have to keep doing what I am doing and the result will follow though.