LHE. Became profesional-Long way.

• GussGuss
      GussGuss
      Bronze
      Post 1. Introduction.
      I am "Guss Guss" at PokerStrategy. I'm from Spain, but now I'm in London, so my written English is not particularly good.

I am player of Limit Hold'em (LHE) on PokerStars. I started playing poker three years ago; After a year I left to focus on my career as a semi-professional golfer. 3 months I left the semi-professional golf, and I focused on my future career as a poker player (this is my goal, to be professional).

These three months I have been studying, analyzing and working daily on my game. I beaten the levels 0.05/0.10$ - 0.25/0.50$ and I am currently playing 0.5/1$, but also I open some tables of 0.25/0.50$ to select the most good tables. I've beaten every level following the rule of pokerstrategy: generating 500BB (Big bets) of the next level. (I play 6max tables.)

My goal for this summer is up to 1/2$ with 750BB (1,500$). My long-term goal is devote poker professionally (January 2016). Play the best tables between 0.5/1$ - 2/4$. It is difficult and risky, but with dedication, enthusiasm and motivation anything it is possible.

My results after returning to poker:

0.05/0.10$ -> Hands: 14.000. Winrate: 5,00BB/100 Profit: +70$ Bank: 120$
      0.10/0.20$ -> Hands: 23.000. Winrate: 3,00BB/100 Profit: +130$ Bank: 250$
      0.25/0.50$ -> Hands: 14.000. Winrate: 3,75BB/100 Profit: +250$ Bank: 500$

Actually Im playing 0.5/1$. I´ve played 8.000 hands 1,29BB/100. Actual Bankroll: 575$ (without rakeback).

My goals this month is to play a minimum of 30.000 hands month (mostly FL100 and some tables of FL50), keep working on my game a lot, and achieving gold status on PokerStars.
      I do a weekly summary with graphic. I hope to receive visits, I appreciate it. Good luck to everyone in your challenges :f_thumbsup:
  • 10 replies
    • excitedpoker
      excitedpoker
      Bronze
      I wish you best of luck, however i wouldn`t put my efforts in a dying game with huge rake when i can barely put decent volume in due to traffic.
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      I have not lived in London, but it seems to be a bit of a far fetched idea playing FL 2/4 for a living in one of the most expensive cities of the world. Anyway GL.
    • bonecore
      bonecore
      Bronze
      I worked harder than anyone for a few years to finally get the very good payed job that i wanted and after i got it i was not motivated and did not enjoy it, only the money in a part. After i saved some money , i made a big decision, quit job for poker and now i play NL5 and have good hopes for the future.

If you think about work every sec you will be the best at it because it enters into your subconstious and it becomes natural.
      Any thought, plan or goal held continuosly in the conscious mind will be brought into our lives, into our experience and into our reality, weather positive or negative. This is why we should imagine only what we desire to come into our lives.
      The only question is do you have the discipline ,the control ,the perseverence ,the persistence and determination to HOLD your goal, ambition or aspiration clearly in your mind long enough for it to come into reality.
      Superconstious creativity - Brian Tracy
    • GussGuss
      GussGuss
      Bronze
      @Kavboj84 In January I would go to live in Portugal, good weather, friends, good lifestyle and close to Spain. I think the same as you. Living in UK this income would be almost ridiculous. Ty anyway!

@Bonecore Total agree with you! Ty!
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      Ahh so you are Portuguese ? That makes it different, although the last time I checked it the costs of living weren't too low there either. How much are you planning to make in a month on average ?
    • GussGuss
      GussGuss
      Bronze
      @Kavboj84 Im from Spain, but Spain it´s regulated (pokerstars.es low traffic) Portugal is very close to Spain, and gaming taxes are not paid. I think I can get 2,000$ (selecting the best tables between 0.5/1$ - 2/4$) with rakeback. What do you think? I want to learn also mtt's in the future and further progress in LHE..
      I'll have enough money to live without relying on poker for the first months. For now I focus on training as a good player.
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      You have to be pretty good and also play a shitload of hands to make 2 grand a month. On 2/4 only that would be around 35K hands in a month if I calculate with 1 bb/100 (~700$)+ 30% RB (~1300$), with 80hands/h and 22 days/month and 3 tables that's around 6,6 hours of uninterrupted play, which is around 8-9 real hours at least due to table selection, low traffic,breaks etc... + you'll need a few hours for background work like analyzing your own and your opponents game. So I'd be rather a bit pessimistic and say it takes 12 hours of work each day and if it takes 12 I wont be surprised if it takes only 10 then I'm good.

Now that's only taking 2/4 play into account, if you want to play lower that means obviously + hours or lower income with the same factors(# of hands/month, winrate, #of tables etc..). Plus you have to be prepared for not winning 2K in each month. Sometimes you lose around 2k in a month sometimes you win a lot more than 2k. Because your edge is getting smaller and smaller, the higher you climb on stakes the more variance affects your short term results (everything below 100-200K hands).
    • GussGuss
      GussGuss
      Bronze
      @Kavboj84 This you say is true, It is absurd to decant professional life to this salary. But if I play LHE game is to train as a solid player and then spend the NL. I also want to learn MTTs and then cash game. if I can maintain this rate of profit as a method of temporal life, I will be satisfied. Should add the HU/HUHU of other romos with fishes, you think I can increase significantly the winnings, maybe 10% of total? We'll see what my future holds.. LHE is only a method.
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Hey GussGuss! Nice to see that you've started a blog!

You can definitely make $2,000/mo playing FL, but you'll probably have to play a bit higher than $0.5/1$ - $2/4 to do it. I guess it is possible, if you play a lot of hands in a month (multitabling 6+ tables). Once you reach 3/6 as your average stake, making $2,000/mo becomes relatively easy for a good player, without having to play long hours or several tables at once.

Best of luck to you!
    • kavboj84
      kavboj84
      Gold
      Originally posted by GussGuss
      @Kavboj84 Im from Spain, but Spain it´s regulated (pokerstars.es low traffic) Portugal is very close to Spain, and gaming taxes are not paid. I think I can get 2,000$ (selecting the best tables between 0.5/1$ - 2/4$) with rakeback. What do you think? I want to learn also mtt's in the future and further progress in LHE..
      I'll have enough money to live without relying on poker for the first months. For now I focus on training as a good player.
      Or you could move to a different country with lower costs of living. If I were Spanish like you, I'd try Uruguay or Chile, or Columbia maybe, you can ask Thoma about it. Or maybe North Marocco-Gibraltar region, tho I'm not sure about this one, I'd like the weather and all the stuff there, especially that its close to Europe, but to be honest IDK anything how expensive that would be.