preflop - equity

• slimy3
      slimy3
      Bronze
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A:hJ
      MP2 Raise, MP3 Call, Hero ???

MP2: preflop raise = 12%
      MP3 is extremely loose with VPIP = 100 (I know that it is impossbile, but take this assumption for this example)

Equity: MP2 vs Hero = 44% vs 40%

So we haven't equity for 3-bet. Can we make a coldcall?
      a. Hero is better than MP2 postflop
      b. Hero and MP2 have the same experience in postflop game

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:hJ
      MP2 Raise, MP3 Fold, Hero ???

MP2: preflop raise = 12%

Equity: MP2 vs Hero = 54% vs 46%

So we haven't equity for 3-bet. Can we make a coldcall?
      a. Hero is better than MP2 postflop
      b. Hero and MP2 have the same experience in postflop game

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:h9
      MP2 Raise, MP3 Call, Hero ???

MP2: preflop raise = 8%
      MP3 is extremely loose with VPIP = 100 (I know that it is impossbile, but take this assumption for this example)

Equity: MP2 vs Hero = 17% vs 64%

Equity says: 3-bet.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:h9
      MP2 Raise, MP3 Fold, Hero ???

MP2: preflop raise = 8%

Equity: MP2 vs Hero = 54% vs 46%

The same equity like with AJo. Our equity is not good enough to make 3-bet. Theoreticaly, more chances, that we will have the best hand on the show down, we have in HU game than in 3-handed, sa in HU we should make 3-bet.

But mathematicaly in HU game we are a slight underdog before the flop so it's not good situation to make 3-bet preflop. When we are in 3-handed game then we are big favorite before the flop so then 3-bet is more than good.

How we can exploit PFR in preflop? How we can play in these 4 situations?

P.S. Sorry for my english. ;)
  • 3 replies
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Hi slimy3,

assuming 100% VPIP is a lot and makes your calculaton most of the time to be wrong.

You also need more than the average equity to 3-bet a hand. That means that in a HU situation ou need more than 50%.
      Calculation: 100% / 2 = 50%.
      Now you are 3-handed in two situations so you need to divide the 100% through 3. 100% / 3 = 33%.
      So you need just 33% equity for a 3-bet in a 3-way pot.
      Thgat is because you gain money from the 3rd 100% VPIP guy.

Alright I'll answer your equitions based on that.

1) A coldcall with A-high is nearly always wrong. Either 3-bet or fold.

So the 3-way hand is a 3-bet and the HU situation a fold.

2) The same as in 1) applies but 99 can be coldcalled in a multiwaypot sometimes. At least 1 coldcaller behind the raiser is needed for that. I prefer 2 coldcaller.

Could it be that you made a mistake by the calculation?
      Here is what I got 3-handed:

Board:
      Dead:

Equity Gewonnen UnentschiedenVerloren Hand
      Spieler 1: 44,240% 43,590% 1,413% 54,998% 77+, ATs+, KQs, AJo+
      Spieler 2: 18,633% 18,223% 0,932% 80,844% random
      Spieler 3: 37,127% 36,617% 1,133% 62,250% 9h9d

I think your numbers (PFR and VPIP) isn't real but in MP2 you should take a lower PFR for calculations than the PFR stats tells you. That is because nearly everyone rasies more on the later positions.

You have to be a lot better to make profit with worse hands so I would go by equity only.
      You can start trying to outplay them if you notice leaks in their play. For example if they fold pretty much postflop. Or if he is passive so that you can get a freecard if you don't improve. Etc..

I hope I got all your questions. If not please ask again. :)
    • slimy3
      slimy3
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith
      Could it be that you made a mistake by the calculation?
      Here is what I got 3-handed:
      Oh, yes because I made enumarte simulation and didn't wait for the end of simulation, my mistake. Thanks a lot, now I know something more about equity :)
    • PokerHammer
      PokerHammer
      Bronze
      Position counts for a lot as well. Sometimes you can 3-bet with slightly less than the required equity if you'll have position on your opponent post-flop, which you would in your examples. Particularly as ciRith mentioned if you think you can outplay your opponent after the flop.
      Also, having the initiative is important.

A lot will depend on your confidence in your postflop skills and if you believe you have an edge there or not. If you don't feel your postflop game is good enough then even small equity edges preflop can soon be lost after the flop.

I don't think that you need concern yourself too much with these preflop equity calculations, the approx charts do a great job of that for you.