7 Card stud H/L

• winnerke123

Are there here players who play this variant? How do you have learned it?
      I'm started on the low limits (§30). Is it possible to built up with this variant? Of is there not much information available and is it very difficult to built up?

• 2 replies
    • Lazza61
      Hey winnerke123,

I am an occasional player now although I did try to grind cash games on Stars a couple of years ago. There isn't a great deal of info out there. I learnt mostly from watching videos of ex PokerStrategy coach RainmanTrail. Unfortunately these videos are only available to Silver+ status.

I also played hundreds of Eddington freerolls on Stars to further hone my game. The first thing I can tell you about Stud H/L is don't play hands for purely low value. You must always be looking to scoop. 752 may look nice (in Razz but not Stud H/L) but it is a trip to a possibility of getting your money back (less rake).

As Stud Hi/Lo is often seen as both Stud Hi and Razz, you can fall into the trap of playing the same Hi and Lo hands that you normally play in those variants. It took me a month of 4 tabling 12 hours a day to realise this :facepalm:

Your starting Hi hands need to be stronger than Stud Hi as you will often only receive half the pot. Your starting Lo hands should always be able to compete with the Hi hands.

Also there are a lot of low hunters at the micros, so whenever you get a starting Hi monster (rolled up trips, big pair big kicker, suited broadway connectors), you must bet and raise and cap if possible. Low hunters must pay to try and draw to their weak lows.

• YohanN7
      Yeah, it's a fun game. Lazza's advice is solid. There are more points like that one should burn into the brain. Suppose you have a one-way hand and you are a 60% favorite to win "your half" in a 3-player deal on fifth. Should you continue? No, fold. Winning half the pot 60% of the time is not enough. There are a bunch of situations like this one learns to recognize. Like when and when not to try to make a player (assuming 3-ways again) fold by raising or check-raising. If you can make the high hand fold when you have the best low, its gold worth. Etcetera, etcetera.

But surprisingly, Stud Hi/Lo is not anywhere near as complex as Stud Hi.