pokerstars proposing rule changes to 3rd party softwares, rules updated 21/9

• 39 replies
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      For me, the big issue is enforceability - Pokerstars should ban the maximum amount of software/aids that they are capable of enforcing relatively reliably - as soon as they cannot enforce a ban, then the software/aids need to be permitted in order to keep the opportunity for all players to utilise the same tools. If the banned tools are available only to those who are prepared to break the rules, and pokerstars are unlikely to catch them, then I don't feel it is reasonable to ban the software.

As it stands, I have relatively low confidence that existing rules are sufficiently enforced (and I believe Stars are substantially better than anyone else on this).

I don't know what the answers are, but I view it as a major problem.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      would this mean you can't use pokerstove/equilab while playing?
    • SeagalSteven
      SeagalSteven
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LemOn36
      Other programs would also be affected. The following are examples of other tools that would no longer be allowed to be used while the PokerStars client is open:

• PokerStove
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SeagalSteven
      Other programs would also be affected. The following are examples of other tools that would no longer be allowed to be used while the PokerStars client is open:

• PokerStove
      • SessionLord’s Preflop Chart
      • Holy Grail of Poker
      • Poker Academy
      • HEM2’s LeakBuster
      • FlopZilla
      • Odds Oracle
      • PokerStove
      • NoteCaddy as is would require changes. It is permissible for HUDs to filter / drill down via street, but not by action facing or hole card / communicate card values.
      • PT4’s Leak Tracker

Personally, I think this proposal sounds pretty good so far.
    • Svinhugg
      Svinhugg
      Gold
      What can you do with Leakbuster live?
    • rompas
      rompas
      Will banning some of this software really help? or will this give people that breaking rules a bigger advantage? i think this subject is really hard but think if stars banns any software they will need to be sure they can dectect if someone is using them otherwise its no point in makeing changes
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rompas
      Will banning some of this software really help? or will this give people that breaking rules a bigger advantage? i think this subject is really hard but think if stars banns any software they will need to be sure they can dectect if someone is using them otherwise its no point in makeing changes
      Stars software has a way to detect what other software is running on your pc. E.g. try running crev while your stars lobby is open and you'll get banned.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by SeagalSteven

• PokerStove
      Yeah equilab is basically pokerstove with additional features
      so looks like it'll be banned while playing
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      Am I right in thinking Poker Stars does not offer HUD free zones like many other sites?
      Yet they are not offering this as a solution?
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      What about starshelper?
    • Zanardi1
      Zanardi1
      Bronze
      Am I the only one to think that the main line now in online poker is dumbing down everything, under the affirmation that games got tougher? Soccer, another zero-sum game, got tougher today, comparing to 1900, but nobody complains about it.
    • bonecore
      bonecore
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vonki
      What about starshelper?
      its allowed
    • vonki
      vonki
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by bonecore
      What about starshelper?
      its allowed
      At the moment yes, but if no other softwares will be allowed Starshelper may not be either?
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Zanardi1
      Am I the only one to think that the main line now in online poker is dumbing down everything, under the affirmation that games got tougher? Soccer, another zero-sum game, got tougher today, comparing to 1900, but nobody complains about it.
      I see what you're saying - but is poker about person v person, or about "technological warfare"? Should the best aids/tools/programmers win money, or the best players?

In some ways its similar to what's being complained about in Formula 1, where the aids/tools/teams have made it too easy for the drivers who are just passengers managing the systems...
    • rompas
      rompas
      What about starshelper?

if the goal is to stop 3rd party softwares that gives in real time help and advices , i would belive starshelper would not be allowed,, but i have no experince with it but if i look at page for it, i would say it will not be allowed
    • asimos
      asimos
      Coach
      Coach
      Full Tilt will be affected as well?
    • rompas
      rompas
      Hi Asimos,

havent seen or heard anything that full tilt also planning some changes

Rompas
    • raydoyle
      raydoyle
      Bronze
      good
    • Zanardi1
      Zanardi1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 8runo
      I see what you're saying - but is poker about person v person, or about "technological warfare"? Should the best aids/tools/programmers win money, or the best players?

In some ways its similar to what's being complained about in Formula 1, where the aids/tools/teams have made it too easy for the drivers who are just passengers managing the systems...
      OK, maybe my example was not too great, but I don't like the fact that everybody tries to cut the possibility and the access to information. It's a form of censorship, in my opinion.

The possibility that all software will be banned while Stars client is open is not such a great handicap, because I can analyze my play away from the tables. Plus, I am sure that HEM will have a functionality to export different stats directly into the notes file, which is a text file. While I play, I will have the opponents' stats, with a small delay.