Villain on busted flush draw, checking behind on the river (also in general)

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hi I have a general question:

When you know your opponent is drawing and his draw fails when the river comes. Should you bet into him again or just check behind? Also when you out of position, check or bet?

Because right now I normally just check behind villain now since he won't call me anyways, unless I read him wrong and he has me beat with something. Should I instead do min bets or so to try to get him to call or induce a bluff raise?

Second part is should I check behind the river in general if villain keeps on calling my 2/3 pot size bets and if I do not have the nuts?
      (example Axx on the board, I am playing with AJ with pre-flop raises and villain keeps on calling)

I usually still win and think that maybe a value bet would have been appropiate.

And does this situation differ if there were no raises pre-flop?

Thanks in advance for your input
  • 1 reply
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Well, put Villain on a range and make the according decision.

If you are sure to be ahead - always bet, not matter if you think he is mostly drawing - sometime he is not. - you can also make a fake block bet and induce a bluff raise.

If your hand is mediocre and you do not beat many made hands check behind is fine.

Sometimes you can make really small bets to get called by A high or something really weird. But choose your spots well for that.

The AJ example depends on villain - how bad is he? Is he capable of calling 3 streets with a worse hand? If so, bet, if not, check.

If it's a limped pot you should always be a little bit more cautious.

You see, there is no fix way of playing mediocre made hands, I can just give you hints, but you have to evaluate the exact situation.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar