Pro player goes apeshit with nonsense hand and wins!

• Madolite
      Madolite
      Global
      Short story:
      I'm on SB with AK offsuit, I raise. Pro-ranking opponent 3Bets back, I 4Bet him, he then goes all-in and I call.
      He shows A9s and flops a 9.

Good Game! And with that, I'm gonna take a break from poker. I also lost to 5 full houses in a row, but I can imagine that's common for all of you guys. At least that's what you guys keep telling me. QQ
  • 10 replies
    • Owl64
      Owl64
      Bronze
      Meh. To dry up your tears search something like "wsop worst bad beats" or something like that and watch few videos.

Then just continue with your life.
    • rompas
      rompas
      Hi Madolite,

I will not lie to you,, yeah this things happens all of us,, and yes i can understand and feel your pain when this happens time after time, sometimes i feel the same , been playing online for around 15 years so belive me it happend alot to me,

what i try to do is focus on what i did not the results, how did i play the hand, did i do some mistake and most of the times i didnt but if i keep playing good and doing right decisions over longer time results will be good. and thats it,,,

poker is not a sprint race its a rollercoastermaraton with up and downs and mentaly not everyone can take it but its up to you to show you can!

Antonio Esfandari told right after he lost deep in a wsop tournament now with AA versus KK,

“The most important concept to realize is that once the hand is over there is nothing you can do,
      It’s up to you now to decide how strong you want to be emotionally, to either let it go or sort of linger in your system.”

so take a break now if you want and recharge and get back and show them how to play poker :f_wink:

Gl/ Rompas
    • Madolite
      Madolite
      Global
      Hey, can't a brotha get a lil' hug, eh? :f_tongue:
    • rompas
      rompas
      Originally posted by Madolite

sure if it helps you fight the demons :f_wink:
    • Madolite
      Madolite
      Global
      Well, in Spring 2016 I will be fighting a shit-ton of demons on Mars. But that's another story. :f_p:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Madolite,
      I'm glad to see that you've recovered at least a bit of humour over this situation.

I'm guessing that it was not just this single hand that blew your valve -- am I right?

If so, I suggest getting "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler.
      There may be other books that give practical advice for strengthening your mental game but TMGoP is the one I used, and I gained a lot from it.

As to the hand itself:
      According to Equilab, the pro was actually ahead of your possible range with his :As: :9s:

Equity     Win     Tie
      SB     41.85%  39.30%   2.55% { 22+, A2s+, K7s+, Q7s+, J7s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, 76s, 65s, 54s, A2o+, K8o+, Q8o+, J8o+, T8o+, 97o+, 87o, 76o, 65o, 54o }
      BB     58.15%  55.61%   2.55% { A9s }

That assumes you were playing fairly loose from SB.
      If you were playing fairly tight he was only slightly behind...

Equity     Win     Tie
      SB     53.63%  52.68%   0.95% { 22+, ATs+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
      BB     46.37%  45.41%   0.95% { A9s }

If he assumed he was slightly behind, the 3Bet/4Bet gives him a chance to win by getting you to fold.

I'm guessing you already knew all that...

Best of luck,
      VS
    • Madolite
      Madolite
      Global
      Definitely not just this one hand, but yeah I was pretty surprised when he played like this. But I guess he either had a read (and just unlucky I had AKo) or he was tilting himself. Or I simply outplayed a Pro preflop, which would be some nice solace, I guess.

And yes, I did play loose, but Pros should know that small ballers like me are never either a loose or tight player, in general. I play according to position and according to the opponent (well, most of the time lol). He's a Pro, I would never treat him like an idiot. So maybe that's why I succeeded, because he thought otherwise.

I actually considered folding my AKo to his all-in, because it totally scewered my idea of what he might have. But at that point I was just so tired, fed up and slightly committed, so I called him.

But yeah, from the SB, if I even bother to play from that spot, I just flat-call like everyone else with a dominant suited connector or pocket pair to mine a set. Or just any nonsense hand, if they're passive enough to fold on the flop or easily bluffed on a wet board.
    • Skodljivec
      Skodljivec
      Bronze
      The "pro" probably played on a stake he doesn't care about money in this spot, so you should be just happy you made a good play
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      But at that point I was just so tired, fed up and slightly committed, so I called him.
      Hi, Madolite,
      I'm guessing that the "so tired and fed up" aspect of your mental state is really what caused the reaction it did.

I don't know you at all, but from this thread (after the first post) you seem to have a good grasp of the game.

Best of luck,
      VS;
    • Madolite
      Madolite
      Global
      Yeah, pretty much. I'm gonna be a lot stricter with myself in that regard, then I think I'll be fine. I usually double up in within the hour, on a balanced streak.