Short Stack Strategy

• CustardKid
      CustardKid
      Bronze
      Hello, I am currently learning the short and midstack strategy to make me a better big stack player I need a few questions answered about the short and mid stack strategy.

Question 1: why does the short and mid stack strategy only apply to 7+ players and why not 6?
      Question 2: when playing the BSS but there is short midstack and big stack left to act behind, witch strategy do you play the effective big stack or short stack?

thanks
  • 3 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      I’m not a cash game player and looks like they are not willing to answer you’re questions yet.
      So I will take a shot on it :f_wink:

1. Not sure why that is, but I expect you have a pretty tight pre-flop style if you play with a smaller stack and that works better on the full ring tables.

2. I would play BSS ranges first and if you end up with the short stack I would change my game.

Hopefully helps this a little bit.

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I would agree with SDK1987. I play cash games myself and I would apply BSS anyway to learn this strategy. SSS is good but when you grow, your stack will not keep short anyway (which is the good news).

When you do get short stacked, you indeed need to understand how to play this. However, this comes along with it and the strategy is less wide than BSS in my opinion. However, I am not yet an experience player so wouldn't take my answer for granted. Just take into account another player's experience.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Dont waste your time. The strategy is awesome, but if you play in PokerStars, their policy is that if you re-enter tables with minimum stack and leave when that stack grows, they will up your minimum buy-in. So read it, so you know how to play against a small stack, but play BSS.
      To answer your questions:
      1. you play like 9% of hands. And at full 9 men tables you have to play like 11% to not lose from the blinds. The MSS works, because there are alot of bad players, not caring if you play 20bb stack or 200bb and if u play 80% of hands or 2%. Also there are some bad BSS players that dont look at the size of your stack and make mistakes calling hands like suited connectors or low pocket pairs against you.
      2. Ofcourse you should consider the lowest stack in hand as the effective stack. And cash is not like tournaments where big stack can pressure the low stack - actually often it is quite the opposite because MSS often play bigger variance game, stacking off with underpairs. To make an example:
      40bb raises in the HJ
      You call 88 in the BB
      flop is T42r
      He can have a JJ+, TX, 99, 88, 77, 66, AK, AQ, AJs with a bd fd and with this range hes most likely going to stackoff. Your decision with 88 is rly tough and high variance. Me? I wouldnt fold it even if my life depends on it, but thats just the gambler in me :f_biggrin: