I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully - Zoom MTT edition.

• Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      This is not my first blog here, but I hope it will be the last - i.e a blog that I will continue to keep for many years to come.

My previous attempts have been dismal failures - I have, for the most part, been unable to keep even the modest goals as far as poker was concerned. Then I remembered that I used to play Rush MTT's at Full Tilt, before the full fury of every alphabet agency was released upon it. I actually did considerably well playing them back then, so figured why not try those few games that run on Stars.

I actually did my first tournaments yesterday. Cashed some $3 from a $1 one, and some $14 by coming 19th in a $2.20 one. Lost a $2.20 game today. This is the good part, however. Played a $8.80 in addition to the $2.20 game, and came third. :P I was actually THIS close in making the final table yesterday too, for a first place of over $400. Ah well. :D

Surely my sample size is non-existent, but thus far the games have been very easy to play. This particular format is simply more than just poker, and few players know how to adjust.

Long time goals:
      • Increase my current bankroll of €100to €∞ (withdrew most of my winnings)
      • To prove that the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

Short time goals:
      • Try to play on as many days as I can, as many (Zoom MTT) tournaments as I can.
      • Wake up at 08:00, or before.
      • Tilt less.
      • Re-re-read The Mental Game of Poker.
      • Exercise at least 1 hour per day, all muscle groups. (Watch, or re-watch any good series at the same time) :D
      • Study (read, listen to) at least 30 minutes of psycology and philosophy.
      • Write at least half a page of my book. <- This helps me to express myself better and is a nice output for any stress I might endure.
      • Maintain a life. :D
  • 16 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Styr
      Nice blog!

To prove that the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.
      I think that it is certainly possible: http://www.dccomics.com/characters/aquaman :coolface:

The other long term goal is a bit more interesting. It is OK to have "increase my bankroll" as a goal, but IMO it is better to just let it happen. The danger is that if we think too much then it becomes a short-term goal, and that way lies madness. Play should always be about the hand in play (with some thought to table image perhaps).

I have some comments on your short-term goals also:
      :diamond:   "Try to play on as many days as I can" sounds rather vague. Why not schedule playing days and non-playing days? If you schedule things, then when you stick with the schedule, that alone brings a feeling of accomplishement.
      :diamond:   "Wake up at..." -- Set an alarm. I had an alarm set for 06:30 for so long that I no longer need it. I still get up then, eat, and I do only "productive" things before 11:00. After that I can do anything I like. Poker happens after 11:00. Except on Sundays :D
      :diamond:   Don't just read "The Mental Game of Poker". Most chapters have things in them that you should DO. Read the chapter, then DO the things mentioned.

Your blog has a good start -- I'll be following...

All the best,
      VS
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Thanks. :)

Well, I believe that I should have a long time goal of making money, or I would not play on the Internet. :) It can't be a short term goal, however, as everything can happen. Especially on Pokerstars. :D

Well, my schedule can be truly erratic, so I simply prefer to rid myself of committing myself to play at certain times. As for waking up... I had days when I woke up after 13:00 pm. :) No amount of alarms (fire alarm excluded) won't help me here. :P I am training myself day by day, and am pretty close to being able to wake up at or close to 08:00. :)

You have a good point in doing the things Jared writes in his book. :P It seems however that I have forgotten quite a lot, thus the need to re-read it... and then to do it. :P

PS. I never knew of such a character as Aquaman. :D I was merely paraphasing G.W.Bush. :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Styr,
      Well, you got one on me -- Aquaman was a comic book character when I was a kid -- so not surprising you've not heard of him.

I had never heard that Bush quote though. It is indeed hilarious!

thanks,
      VS
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      2 zoom tournaments, did not make it. Two super progressive knockouts, got money back in one - without any knockouts, mind you. Had a deep run in a slow $2,75 tourney. Busted on 10th place. About as degenerate as it gets.

So I am up about 50 cents today.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      No money from the two Zoom MTT's I played. Did a few regular speeds and a few Hyper Turbo MTT's.

Deja Vu. No final table for me.

Poker Stars $5.00+$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25000/t50000 Blinds + t10000 - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BB: t163592 M = 1.31
      UTG: t1477293 M = 11.82
      CO: t301416 M = 2.41
      BTN: t367671 M = 2.94
      Hero (SB): t117443 M = 0.94

Pre Flop: (t125000) Hero is SB with J:spade: J:heart:
      UTG raises to t1467293 all in, 2 folds, Hero calls t82443 all in, BB calls t103592 all in

Flop: (t464627) 2:diamond: 4:spade: Q:spade: (3 players - 3 are all in)

Turn: (t464627) 3:club: (3 players - 3 are all in)

River: (t464627) 3:spade: (3 players - 3 are all in)

Final Pot: t464627
      BB shows 8s Ah (a pair of Threes)
      UTG shows Qh 8d (two pair, Queens and Threes)
      Hero shows Js Jh (two pair, Jacks and Threes)
      UTG wins t92298
      UTG wins t372329

Then again, I am up €20 today. Still, Pokerstars should add puking bags to their VPP store. I am sure they would be immensely popular.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Busted on the bubble in the only Zoom tournament I played. 18th place in A Hyper Turbo tournament. Up 5 euroes. :D

I should probably change my focus to Hyper Turbo tournaments. They do actually run from time to time and I seem do be doing better there - in general.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Styr,
      What is it about the Hyper Turbos that give you the edge?
      They don't suit my tight style at all...

Best of luck,
      VS
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Hi, Styr,
      What is it about the Hyper Turbos that give you the edge?
      They don't suit my tight style at all...

Best of luck,
      VS
      I have played a lot of single table hypers, with a 1,6% ROI over a sample of 25000 6max games and 2,6% ROI over a sample of 28000 9max games. This experience likely helps. I do lack in hitting skills, however - which the villains have mastered. Lost all MTT's today - most of the hands I was dominating pre-flop. Did play a few 6max single table hypers, though, and won most of those which helped to recover some of my losses.

Am down by 30 euroes today.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Up 40. One 28th place in a $5,10 hyper out of some 900. 72th out of 4056 in the Big $5,50 on Stars.

The big monies will come. :D
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      -55eur. Need a break from this degeneracy.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      None of the games I lost today with were Zoom tournaments.

Registered for a $2,20 one. So much for my chances for a final table.

Was low on chips, and obviously my K9s was screwed into the rectrum by BB's 98o.

At least recovered $20
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      $120 down in the last three days.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hang in there!
      The big trick to weathering a downswing it to avoid letting it change your play -- assuming you were playing well of course.

One hand at a time!

Best of luck,
      VS
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Took a period of rest, playing a few SnG'es inbetween with no noticable results.

Late registered to a $2.20 Zoom MTT and got 5th. I was hoping to get to top 3, but I am not complaining. :D

• VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Styr,
      Nice finish!

Best of luck,
      VS
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      Thanks, Vorpal. :)

Did two games the day before yesterday. One slow speed MTT and one Super Progressive knockout. Made money in the former, and almost got my money back from knockouts in the latter. Some $5 in profit.

And today I saw a 33rd degree grand imbecile. :) @$5,50 Slow MTT.

Poker Stars $5.00+$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds + t20 - 8 players - View hand 2765186
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG: t9312 M = 20.24
      UTG+1: t8195 M = 17.82
      MP1: t21765 M = 47.32
      MP2: t21883 M = 47.57
      CO: t7698 M = 16.73
      BTN: t9195 M = 19.99
      Hero (SB): t10805 M = 23.49
      BB: t13847 M = 30.10

Pre Flop: (t460) Hero is SB with A :club: A :diamond:
      3 folds, MP2 calls t200, 2 folds, Hero raises to t800, BB calls t600, 1 fold

Flop: (t1960) Q :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets t1372, BB calls t1372

Turn: (t4704) 2 :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets t1800, Hero raises to t8613 all in, BB calls t6813

River: (t21930) 7 :spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t21930
      Hero shows A :club: A :diamond: (a pair of Aces)
      BB shows 2 :spade: 5 :spade: (two pair, Fives and Deuces)
      BB wins t21930