What to learn after my ABC's...

• jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Over the last 6 months since ive found poker I have been pretty much learning how to play ABC poker against unknown players.

While this has been good practise, it doesnt help you to achieve the best possible winrate and only really works well on fishes.

I want to start to learn to adapt my play to different players and practise picking up reads rather than using a HUD, I thought the best way to do this would be to start playing hu sng's on pokerstars.

I deposited $100 last week and also $20 via player transfer, (thanks goes out to cardbender so i didnt have to wait for the deposit :P ), anyways since last week ive played 100 games and it went pretty well

My main goals are
      1. to adapt my play to gain the most value out of my oppenents
      2. to learn to play different board textures.
      3.To find a game type to stick with and learn all I can about it.

While these goals arnt really money orientated im still going to use a fairly agessive brm of 30/20 (move up with 30 stacks / down with 20 remaining).

Ive now got $156 roll and will be moving to $5.25 hu sng's soon.

I will post an updated graph each week and hopefully get a hand converter to post some interesting hands that i play during my sessions
  • 14 replies
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      they suck hard on
      $2 HU sng
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      GL on your goal...
      I have faith on you...
      Will take my revenge before you become too good HU... :evil:
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Made the jump to the $5.25 hu sng's.

Going pretty sweet so far

@ seednoir If you want a re-match bring it on :P

Edit: Sharkscope says im super hot so there.
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by vladnz
      they suck hard on
      $2 HU sng
      Thought I would go an check this statement out. I played 15 $2 HU sng yesteray winning 13. Not bad. I won a couple of flips, but I can confidently say that I got my money in with the best hand in both of my losses.

As for your project here jmackenzie - I wish you the best of luck. Think I will hit the $2 HU sng again next weekend when the fishes are most.
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      @kimber88 and vladnz I completely agree with you, $2 hu sng's on stars esp. have some of the worst players I have ever seen, and to be honest the $5 ones arnt really that much different.

Edit: Ahhh!!!!! Ive turned bronze!!!
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Ok its the second week so heres how its gone since last week.

Also played seednoir in some hu matches yesterday overall its 3-1 to me! :P

I have to say I dont like being a bronze member again as I cant see half the vids etc.

Which is why i have added another goal to my list

- To become a GOLD member -

So I can read and post in the hu hand posting section as the info I gain there is priceless.

To do this I will have to start multi-tabling using the sss again, I suppose I can post my weekly results on here aswell using the elephant.

I will still be playing hu sng's, just not in as much volume probly something like 20-30 a week.

My stars br now stands at: $211.31
    • lennert9
      lennert9
      Bronze
      I recently started playing HU sng's to (on titan) and I'm getting similar results, but I'm having a question:

How do you cope with the idiots who just go all-in every hand, what type of hand do you wait for to call them?
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      @lennert9

First off ive only had this happen to me once in which I got pocket jacks pretty early on so, easy call. (I lost ofc. :P ), but aslong as the blinds arnt relatively high compared to your stack size you can wait for fairly decent hands.

If say for example chips counts were around 1500 for each player with blinds of 10/20 I would actually play fairly nitty with a range of A8+ 77+

Seeing as youd get these hands 1/10 times you wouldnt be blinded down too much that often before you have a pretty big edge against your opponents any2.

Anyways good luck with the hu sng's!
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Been another week my br has grown steadily again, now stands at $254.

But other than that my week has been quite bad actually. My goal of becoming a gold member fast was stopped short, by my lame laptop thats decided to freeze literally every 5 mins when I play more than 2 tables.

I initially thought it was due to pokerstars as it wasnt happening with any other programs at the time. I was thinking of moving over to FTP for awhile, then decided to wait till I can take full advantage of the $600 first deposit bonus when (and if :P ) I get there. So I decided to go towards partypoker. I withdrew all the cash from stars in the thought that I could play sss and hu sng's lag free how wrong I was...

The $6 hu sng's have a wopping %20 rake so that obv wasnt gunna work out too well, and when playing sss with more than 4 tables my laptop started freezing every 5 mins so im kinda stuck in a dilema.

Today I decided to make use of some of my fpp and play some satellites I won a seat to the sunday 200k and a seat in a $35 ept sng. I cashed out the sunday 200k for tourney dollars and found that I couldnt cash out of the ept sat. so I played and lost.

Thanks to this, my sharkscope graph looks bloody awfull lol which is why I prob wont be posting it for quite some time.

So i am going to either

1.Get laptop sorted
      2.Find a way to make enough points for gold member by playing under 4 tables
      3.Get a new comp/laptop (could be kinda hard as im a full-time student/full-time bum)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      I got my laptop half sorted I can do about 8 tables on stars before it buggers up again but if im going to play sss i want atleast 12 tables running.

Played 14 $2 180 turbo sng's on stars today didnt cash once players are really bad and theres alot of potential to make good money their but the variance is obv. gunna suck like hell.

I was thinking about going towards fl as I can produce enough rake to get to gold status fairly quickly.

br is at about $225 now...
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Seeing as I got my laptop atleast half working the past 2 days I have been 8-tabling sss nl 25 with very nice results!

Stars has some of the worst players ive ever seen ill give an example of 1 nice hand

Known players:    
      BB:
      $7.60
      MP3:
      $18.05
      Hero:
      $4.65

0.1/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:diamond: , K:heart:
      UTG2 calls $0.25, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, CO folds, Hero raises to $1.50, SB folds, BB calls $1.25, UTG2 calls $1.25, MP3 calls $1.25.

Flop: ($6.10) 5:diamond: , K:club: , 2:club: (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $3.15 (All-In), BB folds, UTG2 calls $3.15, MP3 calls $3.15.

Turn: ($15.55) 3:heart: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($15.55) 2:heart: (3 players)
      UTG2 bets $1.00, MP3 calls $1.00.

Final Pot: $17.55

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, kings full of deuces (Kd Kh)
      MP3 shows two pairs, kings and deuces (Ks 6d)
      UTG2 shows two pairs, tens and deuces (Ts Th)

Hero wins with a full-house, kings full of deuces (Kd Kh)

While looking through the video section to watch a sss video to help get back in swing with playing, I stumbled across tribuns nl sh video series from low to midstakes, which I had put a few suggestions in a thread he made seeing what people wanted in the vidoes, so i decided to watch it. I have to say hats off to you tribun that was one good video.

After watching I decided I had to give nl 10 sh a try and im loving it ALOT!

anyway heres a couple of nice hands playing sh so far...

Known players:    
      BB:
      $9.95
      Hero:
      $22.50

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with T:heart: , T:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) A:spade: , 4:spade: , T:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.60, BB raises to $1.80, Hero raises to $22.10 (All-In), BB calls $7.75 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($19.95) 4:diamond:
      River: ($19.95) 8:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $19.95

Hero shows a full-house, tens full of fours (Th Td)
      BB shows two pairs, aces and fours (5s Ac)

Hero wins with a full-house, tens full of fours (Th Td)

Known players:   
      Hero:
      $14.30
      MP3:
      $10.00

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , A:heart: . MP3 posts a blind of $0.10.
      MP3 raises to $0.30, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, MP3 calls $0.70.

Flop: ($2.05) J:heart: , 6:heart: , 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, MP3 raises to $5.00, Hero raises to $13.30 (All-In), MP3 calls $4.00 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($20.05) 4:club:
      River: ($20.05) 4:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.05

Hero shows two pairs, aces and sixes (Ac Ah)
      MP3 shows two pairs, sixes and fours (Kc Td)

Hero wins with two pairs, aces and sixes (Ac Ah)

Known players:  
      Hero:
      $25.80
      BB:
      $4.40
      MP3:
      $7.85

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:spade: , T:spade:
      MP3 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.05, BB raises to $0.30, MP3 calls $0.20, Hero calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.90) J:spade: , 7:club: , 7:spade: (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.80) 9:spade: (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, MP3 bets $1.00, Hero raises to $3.00, BB folds, MP3 calls $2.00.

River: ($7.80) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.40, MP3 calls $4.25 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $16.30

Hero shows a flush, king high (Ks Ts)
      MP3 shows two pairs, jacks and sevens (Qc Jd)

Hero wins with a flush, king high (Ks Ts)

So yeh been a good past 2 days

Heres a gragh of my sh nl10

Running at 94bb/100 hands so obv. a hot runner.

Gunna leave sh alone for awhile though as id rather learn 1 thing at a time tbh.
      Stars bankroll $393
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      don't lie man :evil: It was 2-1 the 3rd you're talkin about didn't count. Anyway I'll make it 2-3 very soon. :evil: Just let me know when and how do you want it X( .
      I can beat you in 3hands like the last time we played :P
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Why Didnt it count???

I won it fair n square!
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Had a great christmas this year but you can tell your getting older when all the prezzies your parents get you are clothes.. :P

Ive also moved up a limit with sss from nl25--->nl50!

Got to $400 and decided to move up. Took a few days to get a database sorted out by which point I was at $420...

And so I started nl50.

I havnt mentioned this before in my blog but i have a stop-loss limit of 5 bi in which I take a day break and today I had to use it...

I've since checked over the lost hands to make sure I wasnt playing like a fish or something and actually it doesnt look too bad. The oppnenents on the other hand are bad lol! check out some of the hands...

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $25.80

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with K:diamond: , A:heart:
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $2.00, 5 folds.

Flop: ($4.75) K:club: , 6:diamond: , 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, MP2 calls $3.00.

Turn: ($10.75) 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.00 (All-In), MP2 calls $5.00.

River: ($20.75) Q:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.75

Hero shows a pair of kings (Kd Ah)
      MP2 shows a flush, ace high (4c Ac)

MP2 wins with a flush, ace high (4c Ac)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $24.15

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:heart: , A:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, 3 folds, BU calls $2.00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($4.75) 8:spade: , 6:diamond: , T:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, BU calls $3.00.

Turn: ($10.75) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.00 (All-In), BU calls $5.00.

River: ($20.75) 7:club: (2 players)

Hero shows a straight, ten high (Ah As)
      BU shows a straight, jack high (Jc Kh)

BU wins with a straight, jack high (Jc Kh)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $57.40
      BU:
      $73.50

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:diamond: , A:diamond:
      4 folds, CO calls $0.50, BU calls $0.50, SB folds, Hero raises to $2.50, CO calls $2.00, BU folds.

Flop: ($5.75) 9:diamond: , K:heart: , 3:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, CO calls $3.00.

Turn: ($11.75) T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4.50 (All-In), CO calls $4.50.

River: ($20.75) 5:spade: (2 players)

Hero shows a pair of kings (Kd Ad)
      CO shows a straight, king high (Qh Jd)

CO wins with a straight, king high (Qh Jd)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $8.50
      MP3:
      $64.85

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:spade: , A:diamond:
      2 folds, MP3 raises to $2.00, 2 folds, Hero raises to $8.50 (All-In), BB folds, MP3 calls $6.50.

Flop: ($17.50) 7:diamond: , 8:spade: , 7:spade:
      Turn: ($17.50) K:club:
      River: ($17.50) Q:heart: (2 players)

Final Pot: $17.50

Hero shows two pairs, queens and sevens (Qs Ad)
      MP3 shows two pairs, kings and queens (Qd Kd)

MP3 wins with two pairs, kings and queens (Qd Kd)

There were other bad-beats today but not as funny, so not worth a post.

While blinding out due to my stop-loss I actually won 2bi's back but I've decided to keep to my stop-loss limit regardless of what happens while blinding out.

Heres a graph of todays results

And a gragh of ssnl50 so far

This limit is obv. beatable but I will move down if i drop to below 30bi which is $300

With regards to being a gold member I should be one anyday now so that goal will be completed, so I will probably be playing hu sng's again soon.

Would like to know what the readers think about stop-loss limits and whether if you go back over the stop-loss limit while blinding out is a good enough reason to carry on playing..

Stars br $373