Hey from Canada!

• metalhe4der
      metalhe4der
      Basic
      Hey all,

Joined this site a few weeks back, found myself coming back now and then, figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm a 25 year old dude who got introduced to (too much) poker in highschool...maybe at 16. Back then it was all about conquering Zynga Poker so that I could procrastinate on school work because challenging myself at poker was more interesting.

Fast forward a few years, I spent my university years rarely touching poker. I was learning and investing my time in learning the ins and outs of the financial industry. I traded stocks and currencies. Whatever experience I had from poker, kind of helped in principle.

Few years later, today, I work full time. Given how dead public market conditions are, I decided to "invest" in poker instead. Funny thing is, now my investing/trading experience lessons of risk management and psychology are helping me in poker. You will rarely find me on tilt. It'll take a handful of bad beats probably lol.

Put in $600 about 3 weeks ago. I mostly play SNGs ranging from $7-60 (I played $100 once and won 1st place, but didn't touch it since). I had a few experimental learning games (where I mostly had ups and downs), but feel like I'm getting the hang of it. Here's what my chart looks like:

I'll play cash games at times, especially if I want a change of pace. That's more of a mixed bag so i can't really comment on that yet. I was mostly horrible when I started earlier, but once I got into the general groove (as you can see from the point it bottomed out).

Fun fact: I almost cashed out and gave up when I got to that low point. I told myself "no, I won't give up. You put in $600 because you could afford to lose it. So you play 'til you make it or you lose the rest."

I've managed to come out of my low point by grinding it out in SNGs and just aiming for consistency. Now I sit at a net profit of $100 today :) - feel happy about : 1. the comeback, 2. the fact that it wasn't one big win - as seen earlier, but the fact that I had to grind it out.

One word that resonates = Commit.

Feel free to ask things :) See ya guys around. Hopefully I keep coming back to this place haha.
  • 4 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Hello metalhe4der

Welcome on the PokerStrategy forum :welcome:

You made some crazy swings on the SNG’s on a low sample so far. What kind of Bankroll Management are you using, because I use always 100 buy-inns on these stakes?

It looks like your still a basic member and than you can use 1 or more of our free money offers on poker rooms you don’t have a account yet. If you’re a bronze member you can post pictures as well. Now I have fixed it for you.

Further I wish you a pleasant stay on our forum and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask them.

Best regards,
      SDK1987
    • metalhe4der
      metalhe4der
      Basic
      Hey, thanks for the welcome, SDK1987.

Im trying to keep it at a 10% max risk per buy in. Initially I figured I'd try lower, but personally things weren't working for me because I wasn't able to take those games serious enough (aka the $7 buyins). Now I occasionally do 7s for warm up or if I feel hesitant for some reason.

Listening to your gut helps too. So now I'll also play the variety of buyins in my affordable range based on my gut feeling. It also helps during my games when reading peoples and hands n stuff.

Thanks, I'll definitely try the free offer on a different site. Originally I wasnt sure how to take advantage, considering I'm already past those offers on pokerstars and 888.
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      10% is risky. How many tables you play at the same time?
      I’d like to play between 6 and 12 tables depending what kind of format I’m playing. Than I don’t get bored.
    • svonja
      svonja
      Bronze
      Hi, greetings from Serbia and best of luck at the tables!