How to learn to play multiple tables

• Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi all,

I now play at 2 tables at the same time and that goes fine. However, when I play 3 tables it goes bad. I just did and make some loss. However, sometimes I have the feeling that I didn't do anything wrong. But this is probably an illusion, isn't it?

If you have experience with the same thing, could you recommend a book as well? I would very much hear some more experience about this because I am reading too little about this topic! :) Let me know you guys!

Thanks in advance!
  • 7 replies
    • k0kki3
      k0kki3
      Bronze
      Well, why not just stick with 2 tables and continue doing well. I personally hate the idea of multitabling just because everyone does it and so everyone think they should too.

Nowdays there are tons of poor breakeven masstabling game dryers staying in microlimits forever. With less tables and bigger winrate, it is much easier to move up in stakes and develope as a player. Skill of multitabling is the least important skill you need to success.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi Hesticus,

We do have an article on multitabling. It's just an introduction, but it might be helpful if you haven't seen it already.

I agree with what k0kki3 said, there is absolutely no reason to force yourself to play more tables. Your winrate is what really matters, so just stay at two tables if your winrate is higher that way.

Also, you mentioned that you don't feel like you were making too many mistakes. If that's the case, then maybe the situation isn't that bad after all? Remember that short-term results are often a poor indicator of how well you are really playing.

In any case, if you do want to increase the number of tables in the future, I believe you could just keep playing with whatever amount of tables you feel comfortable with for now, and then slowly add some additional ones when you're confident that you can make good decisions in a short amount of time. It's all a matter of experience, really. But as k0kki3 pointed out, there is really no reason at all to force things. Improving your game is more important than adding more tables.
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      This really helps me a lot guys. Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

I made 1 mistake I could've avoided in my opinion. I had K8 on SB with 2 callers and 1 minraise on the button. I called this one. Flop was AK6, Button raised, I called, the rest folded. Turn card a K, he checked, I bet, he called. River a 3 (or something meaningless at least) and he checked, I bet and he went all in and I called. He showed AA so he won.
      I think I could've avoided this one if I played on 2 tables only.
    • Owl64
      Owl64
      Bronze
      Quick guide by me:

Play on "x" tables and when you can't find any mistakes in your play and get bored - increase "x" by 1.

If you start making mistakes decrease "x" by 1.

Repeat and profit.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      I second Owl64's advice.

I also advise to get as good hotkey software as possible and to watch my favourite Pokerstrategy video of all time: 'How To 30-Table: A Guide to Mass Multi-Tabling' by the SnG legend Collin Moshman (featuring a live laptop 40-tabling session by his wife Katie Dozier :f_cool: ). You don't have to end up playing at a zillion of tables, but his tips are helpful every time when you try to increase your table count.

If you don't want to get the Silver status needed to watch it (which is way cheaper to do by playing 9 days a month at a partner room, raking $2-3 to earn 10 base SPs + 90 bonus, than by purchasing directly), you can purchase that video at the shop for $3.99 and store it forever. It's well worth the money.

Originally posted by Harrier88
      I agree with what k0kki3 said, there is absolutely no reason to force yourself to play more tables. Your winrate is what really matters, so just stay at two tables if your winrate is higher that way.
      The hourly winrate is what matters, and in most cases it increases at least slightly when more tables are played, even if we take into account that tighter bankroll management has to be used then because of a lower ROI or bb/100 winrate.

Don't be afraid of mistakes, everyone makes them. That you play suboptimally in some rare spots (always fix your leaks in frequent spots first) is more than offset by the fact that you take a bigger share of the deposits of the recreational player base as a whole due to increasing your presence in the pool as opposed to the other regulars.

Moreover, the fact that regulars generate more games by playing more tables entices more deposits from recreationals because the latter get a game running faster and also lose money at a not-so-ridiculously-high rate, which increases their pleasure and willingness to reload. Hence the poker economy gets bigger and more profitable for the reg pool as a whole than if every reg was bumhunting at few tables.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      The hourly winrate is what matters, and in most cases it increases at least slightly when more tables are played, even if we take into account that tighter bankroll management has to be used then because of a lower ROI or bb/100 winrate.
      It's true, thanks for pointing that out. I should have been more precise on this.

You have to decide for yourself whether or not the increase in volume is worth the drop in performance, and see which method earns you the most money in the same amount of time.
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Thank you very much. This is utmost helpful and will read along to analyse it a bit more. I also will think about to buy the video since I am now poker on a different site on which I am with Pokerstrategy. I also don't know how to change the pokerstrategy account to link with that website.