MiddleMan on MTT, career

• MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      Hi!

My name is Janis, i am 24, and i am student from Latvia. :D
      I am starting this blog, to keep myself and anyone interested up to date, on how ones poker career can develope.

I will try to review my success here, and i will ask for a little advice too. :)

/Sorry for my english, its not too good. :) /

I started out some 9 or so months ago. i liked SnGs, so i was trying to play them as mutch as i can. Then i got my BR busted on Titan, so i had to invest some of my own money. Overall i think i invested something like 150$ on stars and party. in summer i got my stars BR ftom 70 to something like 220$ playing SnGs. But it was mutch too slow for me. :) I was doing good on partypoker, and i tryed out omaha, and tripled my BR in like 3 days. I know BR management, but i was to dumb to understand that. :) But that money gave me a good start in real life. After that i won sattelite to WCOOP omaha event for 1050$, but i traded the T$ to meoney, since i was realy short on cash in real life, and that is a big problem for me these days. After tht made few good finishes at other omaha tournaments on stars, and put some of my BR in Full Tilt. Now i have been playing MMT most of the time on FT and PS, and omaha cash games on party. Cant say my BR is growing too fast, since i have to cash out from time to time, to survive in real life. :)
      Had one good finish in FT on 3$ NLHE rebuy 5000$ guaranted, finished 3rd, but after bubble i had only one BB left. :) Ending wasnt that nice since my AK got busted by A4 on river, but still, i was happy.
      So now i am trying to make my living from poker, and i want to ask some good MTT player for some advice on BRM, tournament selection, rake generation(since i play mostly MTTs, i cant generate too mutch rake. and thats not too nice :) ), maybe any other advice you can give me, and maybe evealuate my results.
      My nearest goals ar to better my MTT endgame, and realy shorthanded game, since i know i am not too good at that. I will order a few books to better my omaha game, and keep reading Harringtons book.
      My BR on all three poker rooms that i play in is around 500$ each, and i plan to withdraw around 600-800$ every month, depending on my success. Maybe it is too mutch to ask, but i know, it is not impossible.

Here are few screenshot, dont have all of biggest wins, but they can be seen on - official poker rankings. My screen name on stars and FT - MiddleMan84

I will try to update my success, and thoughts about MTTs here.

Any advice is welcome :)
  • 17 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Is good to have blog of omaha player ;) You should also now and than give us some tips;)

Good luck with your poker pro life,

slikec
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      This is not a omaha player... but just MTT player. anyway omaha MTT's are rare like FL ones, so it's not EV+.
      GL on your quest...
      I would love to help but now I'm still on the learning side. Maybe in a month or so when will be more establish, I can help. You seem to do better than me anyway :) .
      Again GL
    • MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      For the record. :) I am omaha player. but for MTTs, it doesnt realy matter for me, since i think i am doing pretty good at both, Texas holdem, and omaha.
    • MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 1seednoir1
      anyway omaha MTT's are rare like FL ones, so it's not EV+.
      For me, omaha MTTs have been only +EV. Fields ar not that big, but still you can make good profit, at least i have. Although i cant complain about my Texas Holdem tournament finishes too. :)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      . anyway omaha MTT's are rare like FL ones, so it's not EV+.

Uhm... I don't see any connection between quantity and expected value... Omaha MTT's are profitable since no one that plays them knows how omaha nor mtt's work... I've played few but it just came way to marginal when you reached push or fold... PL omaha btw...

Nice blog I'll regularly read
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Hi nice blog.

Where do you play omaha mtt? I can't find anything below $5 on stars or fulltilt. only pot limit omaha hi lo or fixed limit omaha
    • MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      Big thx to everyone who is reading this, and thx for comments. This will motivate me even more. :)

Hlynkinn - You should read about omaha starting hands on internet, there are a few good topics on that.

alejandrosh - Usualy on Stars or fulltilt. And i think, there are no PLO Hi MTTs under 8$, on fulltilt maybe around 5$.
    • MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      Hi everyone again.

Hope you all dont think i am lazy. Its just end of the year, and i have to get my studies together, and a few other personal problems.
      But still, got a few things to be happy about.
      Yesterday i recorded my first victory in PLO tournament! :rolleyes:

And here is the winning hand - http://www.pokerhand.org/?3565623P

I am realy happy about it.
      But stull i am realy concerned about my tournament play. This time my TAG style worked perfectly, but is that the best way, i realy dont know.
      Had a few other tournaments, where i cashed in, but i dont think it is worth mutch of attention.

In omaha cash games i havent been running too goog. Havent lost anything mutch, but no great winning sessions recorded either.
      Still waiting for soem books on omaha and tournament play. Hopefully greater future is ahead. :)

I will write a short review about Greensteins "Ace on the river", but only after i have finished with my studies in a few weeks.

And little something for everyone to enjoy - QUAD Aces

• MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      And now!
      If you want to suck out on someone, this is the way to do it. :D

PartyPoker, $0.25/0.50 Omaha Cash Games, 9 Players
      Hand Converter by Pokerhand.org

Board:
      MiddleMan_84 (BB): $11.50
      fido_82 (UTG+1): $48.11
      doormat (MP1): $30.02
      Poparallo (MP2): $9.50
      golfnutty (MP3): $70.83
      Pronichev (CO): $103.15
      bkaste (Button): $27.05
      EATYOURBRAlN (UTG): $76.29
      Tuttinunnen (SB): $71.75

Dealt to MiddleMan_84 K:club: 8:diamond: A:diamond: A:spade:

Pre-flop:
      (2 folds), Poparallo calls $.50, (4 folds), MiddleMan_84 raises to $1, Poparallo calls $1

Flop: ($3.25) Q:club: Q:diamond: 3:diamond: (3 Players)
      MiddleMan_84 bets $2.31, Poparallo calls $2.31

Turn: ($7.87) A:heart: (3 Players)
      MiddleMan_84 bets $3.74, Poparallo all-in $5.69, MiddleMan_84 calls $1.95

River: ($19.25) A:club: (3 Players)

Results:
      [color=red]MiddleMan_84 Showed [/color]K:club: 8:diamond: A:diamond: A:spade:
      Poparallo Showed 6:spade: ,Q:spade: ,3:heart: ,Q:heart:
      MiddleMan_84 wins $18.29
    • MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      hi everyone!

Sorry, for beeing away for so long.

Life outside poker isnt going too good, have to cash out allmost all of my winings, and my BR is still around 2000$.
      Probably i could use some advice, on how to slowly build my BR, and still be able to cash out enough money for everyday stuff. Maybe any advice, on how to handle these things. Just please dont tell me to get a job, if you would know the economical situation in Latvia, you would understand, why i have to live from poker for now.
      I have noticed, that even after reading few articals from - The Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide: Tournament Edition, i am realy doing better in tournaments. Even in holdem tournaments, but i still think omaha is better game for me.

I hope to update my blog more often from now on. And get some more interesting stuff here, bet just for now, a litle graph from SS on how i am doing at FT, it is not too acurate, since i have lost a little at cash games, but i just like the way it looks. :)

• Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      nice.

I think the pokerstrategy articles are much better than most books, especially stuff like harrington, and better than ftp articles.
    • MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      Can't agree with you Kruppe, since i haven't seen any real articals about MTTs here.
      PS helped me alot when i started playing SnGs, and some of these skills are usefull at MTTs too, but i dont see a way to realy learn playing MTTs just from PS articles.
      No offence to PS staff :)
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I have to agree with Kruppe about how good ps MTT articles are. I have learned a lot from them and had some nice success.

Also good luck to you with those MTTs.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      if you have enough cash to spare, I'm pretty sure poker X factor (pxf) is the best MTT training site, and is the best tool for getting better at MTTs.
    • MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      Hi again! :)

Wanted to report on my success and about adjustment i have made to my game regarding things i play.
      I am mainly concentraiting on MTTs, but i have also started playing SnG on stars. since i had good enough BR for 6$ turbo SNGs, so i started playing them. First 80 games where brake even, since i had to get used to SnGs again, but i think i adjusted prity well, and now i am making some profit.
      But biggest success so far, was 6th place in 3$ rebuy tournament.

It didnt give mutch boost to my BR, and i dont realy think i need it right now, since i will be playing 6$, untill i feal comfortable, and only then i will move up. but with the money i won, i finaly can buy a new monitor, and chair. :) since playing on two 17" monitors, realy sucks, since both of them gad different resolution, and refresh rate. and i think, it realy damaged my eyes. And i needed more comfortable char, so i could play for 10-12 hours, and wouldnt feal tired.
      And most of all, i dont have to worry about money for the next month :)

And, Kruppe, thanks for advice about PXF, i looked into it, and it looks like right thing for me. Thank You.

But now i will go and enjoy my new 25.5" HD monitor. HD movies look realy realy great! :) And multitabling is mutch more easyer, then on two 17" screens.
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      congrats
    • MiddleMan
      MiddleMan
      Bronze
      Hi everyone.

Just wanted to report, how i am doing at 6$ turbo SnGs.
      ROI is slowly getting close to my goal at 10%, it is now at 9%, i am makeing decent profit, and this limit is good for me.
      Since i have to cash out some 600$ every month, i dont realy like my BR for moving to 16$ SnGs , bet in a few months i think i will be able to do that.

No real success in MTT for now, realy not running too good, but i hope, that it will change.