The start of a never-ending journey into the land of poker wisdom

• ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Hello, my name is Tapio and I think I'm falling in love with poker. In order to celebrate the blooming devotion I set out to start a poker blog.

I wrote an introductory message to PokerStrategy forums a couple of months ago and you can find the thread here. There you'll find some information about me that I thought to be suitable to be shared with you. In this blog I shall be considering, reflecting and discussing things that mainly relate to poker, closely or remotely. Poker is a game of widespread dimensions and aspects and there surely is a huge number of things that at the first glance do not have any connection with poker, but in truth these things are fundamental in the beautiful game of poker. This plentiful scale of things that matter in poker is one of the main reasons I am so excited about this game.

Why poker?

Let's get down with the most initial question, why to play poker at all in the first place? The idea behind the game is to win, and earn, money. Some people are so good in poker that they can have a poker career as their only job. Some other are so good that playing poker means a big upgrade in quality of life in monetary means as they grind significant bonuses for their bankrolls in addition to what they earn from their employers. However, most people that play poker do not belong into these two groups. Some are winning somewhat measily amounts of money, some are breaking even and for every won buck there have to be one lost so there surely are those players who are losing money in poker. Before starting playing, I did not have an idea that into which group I'll belong - well, not maybe into the two first I mentioned.

When the idea of the game is to win money, I am technically trying to achieve it as well. But I am not playing poker in order to EARN money. For me, money in poker is the way to keep score who is winning and how much. It shows the ranking and success of players, which is the main thing of every known game played; to see who will compete best with given rules and frames. I am not trying to pretend that money would not mean anything to me, but hey, this far I have made 260€ by playing poker and my hourly rate is something like 1,5€... and that is not very much, at least in Finland, where everything else but rainy summer weather is very expensive.

As I mentioned in my introduction thread, I like to play board games. My favourite games are Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Carcassonne, Bohnanza and Risk. In addition, I basically like to play any game, if the game just makes some sense and is logical and the gaming company is nice and is trying to play as well as they can. However, I was lacking gaming company and even though some of these games have online versions, the player pools are small and software quite poor. Then I knew that online poker is out there. I had never tried poker and somehow felt a bit intimidated by the idea that I would play something for money. If I can remember right, I had never before made any sort of gambling where money is at stake. However, I started to give it a try and made an account to Unibet, where I got free starting capital of 10€ without depositing anything, so technically if I was the worst poker player in the world, testing still would not have cost me anything else but time. This happened on January of this year.

So, to answer the question, I play poker, because I enjoy competing with others and poker is a great form of competition. It requires skill, it has random variables (which, in my opinion, is important for the games to some extent), it has reliable way to measure results and mostly everyone is trying to play the game as well as they can.

In addition to playing games, I like to learn things. By learning things I mean that in my free time I like to study some useful and occasionally less useful things. Last autumn I studied programming in a massive online open course. Currently I study my brother's school books on the field economics. Before that I learned how to knit a scarf. These learning missions may take different amount of times. Some take two months, others a couple of years. It mainly depends that for how long I feel interested in about each theme. So now I am learning how to play poker, let's hope that this rush will stay for long time. I think that learning things, even things that may look quite useless at first, add something to your overall knowledge of life and world and it surely will be beneficial to you. Learning the game of poker includes a lot of elements that will benefit me in my life.

Why to write a blog?

I decided to start writing a blog for a couple of reasons. Probably the most important and practical aspect is that here I can reflect my game and thoughts about poker. Maybe someone will even answer. The blog could be seen as a learning diary. I am a bit lazy and tend to procrastinate, but the public pressure of keeping a blog will encourage me to study game more in depth and systematically.

If we compare online poker and live board gaming, there is one point where board games beat poker 100-0, and it is the social aspect. I play board games with my friends and it's awesome to chat with them and enjoy their company. There is nothing of this in online poker. However, we have a nice community here at PokerStrategy and this is my impact on it.

One secondary reason for the blog is also to learn language. I feel I am not too good in producing English text, but there is a quite good way to learn it: writing. And write I shall.

Small update about my current poker status: I am playing only NL at Unibet and currently I play NL10 at Unibet. My bankroll is now 264€. I have been playing NL10 after I had 120€ for the first time - before that I played NL4 - and luckily I have avoided big downswings this far. However, now I will take more conservative bankroll management and I don't plan going to NL25 before having 625€.

See you around!

ruastinraata

PS. By never-ending in the title I shan't mean that I would never stop trying to learn poker, I mean that I will hardly ever get there completely. No one gets.
  • 17 replies
    • SDK1987
      SDK1987
      Hello Tapio

Nice that you have started a cash game blog.
      How it’s going on the moment?

Further I wish you all the best to beat NL10 and beyond :gl:

Cheers,
      SDK1987
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Hello and thanks for the reply.

After writing the initial message of this thread I have not played a lot. I am currently on a summer vacation from my job and have been travelling and doing other holiday stuff so I have played only a very little in last two weeks. Still a week to go and then I am going to hit the tables again, as well as studying and updating the blog.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Sunday 9.8.2015

Holiday is almost over and tomorrow I have to be sitting in the meeting at 8.00 AM, sigh...

My three-week summer vacation was pretty nice. I relaxed big time and also visited Amsterdam with my wife for a couple of days. A very atmospheric and sort of a cozy city. We had to stand in line for three hours to get in to Anne Frank Huis but it was worth it.

As I mentioned above, I did not play very much during my holiday, only a couple of short sessions occasionally. I did not play very well either, I lost something like 3 BI combined. I think that's partially due to a lack of concentration during the sessions. One should really focus onto playing to make profit, even at low limits. However, I managed to grind everything back during yesterday and now my BR at Unibet is 275.58€, which is more than ever before. Everything is going fine and I think I am able to play quite much during the rest of the month (and autumn).

On poker room selection

As I have mentioned a couple of times, currently I play only at Unibet and haven't played anywhere else. Unibet is a bit different online poker room in comparison to most other big rooms in that that it does not allow any sort of tracking software, its hand history is not in a format that could be copied and it allows players to use different table names and change them three times in a day. Also, one cannot choose a table or a seat, all he can do is choosing the limit he wants to play at.

How this affects the game play at Unibet? In Unibet's words, these features make their poker room more attractive to recreational players when the most tools of regular players are banned. For players like me, this certainly has its pros and cons. In general, I think that it's good that Unibet is like it is. The most important thing is of course that the player pool is quite soft. Not too much regulars and lots of loose or otherwise exploitable fish. It's easy to play profitably against this kind of players, albeit one will have to suffer from bad beats and variance quite frequently.

However, as I am just a beginner, it might be possible that my strategy and decisions are not completely flawless. At Unibet, analyzing and improving your game is a bit difficult, because you really cannot use stats, notes etc. For example, any sort of extensive database review is practically impossible. Unibet does not even show the number of hands you have played during a given time period. You can review single hands from history but that's it. I cannot copy hands to the hand review discussion, I cannot see my red, blue or green line, I don't know my VPIP rate and major or minor leaks in the game. All of these things are in my opinion mandatory for me to improve my poker play.

What I am planning to do, is to grind at Unibet NL10 until I have like 600€. After that, I think I will create an account at Pokerstars or Full Tilt and purchase also some tracking program. I'll move some of my BR from Unibet to PS (or FTP) and start playing there and get some material to learn from. I am not going to abandon Unibet however, due to reasons I mentioned, but I think that playing at other sites will improve my game played at Unibet as well.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Tuesday 11.8.2015 - Crushing heads-up SNG through connectivity edge

Unibet has had some problems with their servers and there has been a lot of blackouts yesterday and today when everyone has been disconnected. At first I thought that it was my Internet connection but later it became obvious that it was not just me. Unibet's thread at twoplustwo was piling of the messages concerning disconnections.

Mostly the connections have been OK however, and I have been at the tables. Today the cash game was not going too well and I felt tired so I decided to try some heads-up sit and goes, because I happened to watch Colin Moshman's video that was on the front page and it enthralled me greatly. I played four 1€ HUSNGs and ended up winning three of them, and on the one I lost, the result was due to a huge suck out on the river. All that I won were of course due to my superior skills... Well, actually during two of the matches connection problems appeared again and in one of them the opponent could not connect back again. I did not know what to do, did not know whether there are some unwritten rules concerning these kind of situations or not. I tried to tank as long as possible on every hand in hopes of him reappearing but he did not and the increasing blinds ate his stack. Not the most noble of victories.

My bankroll is growing comfortably, now it is 321,58€ at Unibet.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Thursday 24.9.2015 - Two swings at the price of one

It's been a way too long time since the last update. One and half month ago I seemed to have BR of 320€. A quick update to that is that currently I have 373€ Unibet, a frustratingly small increase in comparison to last update.

Last two or three weeks have not been easy in poker. I have not been able to play decent volumes until the previous week and the games have not been going very well. Even though I have been winning, there have been long periods when anything has not gone as planned. Now I've lost 5 BIs in two days. The big picture seems to be so that I play marginally losing game for a couple of sessions, then win everything back and little more in a single session and then fall back to apathy. Now these last couple of sessions have been terrible. Not have I only been sucked out but also made some very bad plays by myself.

The other swing of the post title is of course the downswing in monetary holdings at my bankroll. The other thing going down has been my mindset. Once I thought that nothing would tilt me, but I was wrong. I think this affects my games in two ways. The first thing (and this has happened in cases of earlier swings as well) is that I start to play more passively and conservatively. I don't dare to bluff or make thin value bets. The second leak appears in the form of some big hero calls that I have been making a couple of times recently against bad loose aggressive players, when I have decent made hand (TPTK type of) and make a big call on the river. At Unibet there certainly are players against whom this is profitable but now I think I made four big and bad calls that have cost me at least 2 BIs and at least three of them were not reasonable by any means.

I don't get mad because fish sucks out on the river. I don't get mad if the aces get cracked during preflop all-in. But what makes me play badly is the situation where I just can't make a hand for a long time and am forced to fold vs. an aggression. I isolate PRF, a fish limp/calls and then donks the flop and forces me to fold. One time in a session is not a problem, two times, no problem, not even ten missed flops in a row do make me mad, but when this has been going on and going on and I start to think that there must be something wrong in my overall strategy and I think the lost money and how long it would take to win that much back and... the bad play begins. In general, I think I have been developing as a player and I have made some big exploitative laydowns on gross boards, but then after some point one starts to think that surely they can't have it EVERY time. Probably they don't but it's still going to be -EV to make big calls in these situations.

I have been reading Tendler lately and got some consolation from there. There are guys that play for living and suffer way much worse downswings than I do and still manage to overcome them. Think it for a minute, five buy-ins is a very small downswing. Concerning Tendler, I think that my type of tilt is the hate-mistakes-tilt, or even hating the observed (but possibly not even actual) mistakes. Apparent mistakes are the big calls against clear value bets on the river. The more contradictory mistakes are the laydowns against aggro fish, who are not worth bluffing, but when I certainly so not have a hand to call three barrels. Most probably laying these hands down is not a mistake but result oriented thinking makes me think that they are. Again the problem with these are that I think that I am exploitable and to some point that is true but nothing really to be bothered too much against NL10 pool.

I could analyze my mindset and mental profile more, but I think that I'll do it later. This was a sort of a therapeutic post to make me get over the bad mindset and bad playing and I don't bother even make spelling and grammar check for the post. I think I'll spend the rest of the evening with misters Tendler and Iggulden and spare the games for some other day.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Tuesday 29.9.2015 - at the other end of the spectrum

As last update was all cry and no joy, the bankroll is now on the top again: 446,80€.

I managed to adjust the course to the right track at NL10 and today I participated Unibet's double trouble freeroll for those who have lost over 20€ during some time period (a week I think) and according to the name I doubled the lost 20€ and added 40€ into my roll.
    • la55i
      la55i
      You have a nice blog! I really enjoyed reading it and definitely will start following you. I like the way you write and your English skills seem very good to me. You were thinking about changing a poker room and getting a tracking software. Stars and FT are both very good options. I have played on both and currently playing on Stars. Just remember to create your account using the pokerstrategy link so you get tracked and receive strategy point. And what comes to the tracking software, I also think it is mandatory to have as it will definitely help you fix your leaks and develop your game. Also it would be awesome to see some graphs from you. :) If you did start with 10€ bankroll and now have around 450€ I can tell you are doing amazingly. What comes to your tilt problem, we all have them. The most important thing is to recognize that you are tilting and then try to deal with it. When I get sucked out I just think that 1. If that never happens, there would not be bad players. 2. Poker is a endless continuum and it doesn't matter what happens in one hand. Good luck, keep us posted. :f_drink:
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Originally posted by la55i
      If you did start with 10€ bankroll and now have around 450€ I can tell you are doing amazingly.
      This is something that I have to remember during hard times. Also if comparing the actual results to my expectations before starting playing, I'm doing quite well, because I just thought that I'd bust my roll into dust quickly because I could not play, but the competition is not really that tough. The videos, forums and articles of PokerStrategy also might have something to do with the modest success of mine.

Originally posted by la55i
      Good luck, keep us posted. :f_drink:
      Thanks, best of luck for you as well!

Saturday 3.10.2015 - Setting the goals for October

It's easy to report and update the blog when running hot. A couple of good sessions and the BR is now 519€. If the poker could just always be this easy...

As it's considered a good general manner to have other than result-oriented goals in poker, I don't really have such goals set. At Unibet one cannot see the number of hands one has played, so I have been lacking that information. My plan for October is to grind the shit out of NL10 at Unibet and then consider moving to NL25 or trying PokerStars with a HUD. So, to establish a good indicator for the volume of my play, I shall try to become a gold member here at PokerStrategy with StrategyPoints that I gain from Unibet.

The level of gold membership is 500 SPs and for the last three months I've had like 300-350 points per month so to reach the goals I should tune my volumes up 30-40%. I think I'll be able to do that because I shan't have long breaks during this month and only one or two weekends and one short business trip when I won't be able to play. The latter half of the September was good and if I had been able to play with similar volumes during the first half, I would have got the gold member status.

Trying to achieve the gold status is good also in that sense that I'll be able to watch the most of the rest of the w34z3l's videos then. w34z3l's 6 max walkthrough has been the main object of my studies during the last months. confidant91's course for beginners was good, but w34z3l's is he best!
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Tuesday 6.10.2015 - And everything was going so well...

When the game showed its good sides for long enough, I got dropped down very quickly. I started today's session and lost three buy-ins in just ten minutes and only one of them was truly a bad beat, two of them were just sickeningly bad play. In the first pot I overplayed pocket jacks in a way I should have learned to avoid since the last time and in the other one I overplayed second nut straight against a donk who had of course the nuts.

I don't normally get into so much trouble with second best hands (well, see the reference of pocket jacks and the last time, no good things come with that hand!) , but it might have something to do with the session of late yesterday evening when I played against an overly aggressive maniac and had to make big calls and raises with the hands I would not normally play that way. It was a swingy business, but I managed to profit about it, though now it's not going too well. At the moment of writing, BR at Unibet is 511€.

At least one point is good with this sort of mistakes and it is that I'm still a winning player and if I manage to fix these leaks, I'll be winning even more.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Sunday 18.10.2015 - Three ways to lose your money

The object for October was to grind the shit out of Unibet's NL10, but halfway through the month, it seems that NL10 is grinding the shit out of me. BR is currently 473€ and last sessions have been quite painful.

There seems to be (at least) three kinds of bad runs, sequences of events at the card tables that make you lose, even though your proven skill makes you winning player in the longer run. The number one is that you get good, playable hands very rarely and are forced to fold preflop so often that it feels unfair. Frustrating but easy to handle, just fold and wait for the better cards. The bad run number two forms of series of good starting hands but bad boards, and you are forced to fold against aggression or then just lose at the showdown. More frustrating than the first one and makes you feel you're run over or just can't play anymore, because you must be bad player to play losing poker with such starting hands. Still, during my short poker career, I think I've experienced this so many times that I know how to get over it. But now I've just discovered the third form of bad temporary luck; I have good starting hands and even make good hands on the flop,the opponents just make even better. The story of my last session. The end. Aces cracked. Kings cracked. Top two pair cracked. I want to go home.

It's just incredible in poker that how during downswings I start to doubt my skills and that how could I ever win again. Even though I knew my opponents were worse than me and just got lucky occasionally against me in the last of couple of sessions, it's still painful despite the logic injected what suggests that if there were not an element of randomness in poker, there would not be any games with real money. I already know in advance that once the fade will turn, I'll start to think that poker is the easiest game ever and I have an ATM in my hands. Maybe I'll go and read MGoP for the third time.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Wednesday 21.10.2015 - Limping for the nuts

Not a long time since the last update and nothing too special has happened. BR now 496€, so reloading is in progress.

I just played the sickest hand of my career so far, it's so special that I thought it's better to share it with you. Sorry for not converting it, but Unibet's hands are not in such format that it could be done.

I meant to fold that hand of course, but misclicked and ended up calling preflop, and hand just got better on every street and on the river it seems that the opponent might have just gone for a little too thin value shove here.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Sunday 25.10.2015 - The night is long and full of tempting poker formats

A short update to start with: BR at unibet is 491€. How I feel currently is that I play solid poker, but am on something that is a sort of a bad run. In the last session, I got coolered and bad beaten and the BR has not increased as much as I wished it had. However, now for the last month or so, I feel that most of the time I am losing, then hit a couple of good hands in big pots and then hop again into a curve that points gradually downwards. The goal for October was to gain a gold status in PokerStrategy and currently it seems that I'm gonna do it.

As I mentioned in the first message of the blog, I am really keen on playing all sort of games. This far, I've played hardly anything else than 6 max NL holdem cash games, but there are many interesting formats of poker that appear to be so interesting to me. I've tried PLO cash for a couple of hundred of hands and I've accomplished some challenges at Unibet and got tickets to SnGs and MTTs and played these as well.

So the formats I'd be most interest, in addition to NL 6 max holdem cash games, are PLO cash game, FL holdem cash game, NL holdem HU (SnG or cash) and the tournament play for FL and NL holdem and PLO. So, there are so many interesting formats, but the question is that should I focus on what I've been doing so far and try to become better in it, or should I stretch the scale of the games I play and start studying these other formats. Unibet does not offer FL games, but does offer PLO 6 max cash games and some tournaments as well. I think I'll exclude the tournament play out of the selection but I am really erring on the side of starting to study PLO and FL holdem.

To optimize the hourly rate in the short term, the right answer on the game format selection is probably to stick with NL holdem cash game, but I am not actually sure whether I am interested in optimizing the hourly rate. I've downloaded PokerStars client and been watching FL, NL and PLO games and they seem so cool. As I mentioned some posts ago, I am planning to start playing in PS as well with a HUD to boost my learning, but have not done that yet. I have not got even an account at PS, but I am gonna make that soon. I think that I'll play just 6 max NL holdem to the end of this year and then reconsider if I want to give a try for PLO or FL (or NL HU, another interesting format).

Well, speaking of studying other formats, I've actually been watching the videos of... what was the name of that guy again?

E: corrected some linguistic mistakes
    • la55i
      la55i
      I would try to learn one format at a time. The strategy is pretty much different in NL cash, PLO and tournaments. I think there is a lot to learn in NL cash games at least for me so I don't want to mix things and try to learn optimal tournament play at the same time. Ofc if you feel bored and want to try something else, go for it. If you play and learn 2 different formats at the same time it will probably lower your hourly rate and it might lower your learning curve also. You could try to switch to PLO for a couple of months and try to learn just that and then switch back if you feel like it? =) Good luck!
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Yeah, I think it does not make any sense in messing with learning multiple formats at the same time. The problem with optimizing and learning NL strategy is that there is no limit in learning no limit (duhh). So where will I draw the line like "now I now enough NL, it's time to concentrate on other formats"? There are always people who are way better and more experienced than I am. But as I said, I'll reconsider this the next year and try to make my mind whether I want to start playing PLO or FL. I think if I start playing any of them and for some time have a complete break from NL, I'll start missing IT. That's poker folks.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Wednesday 28.10.2015 - The Nuts

I just wanted to say hello and present the NUTS:

Did not get paid though. BR at Unibet is 531€.
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Saturday 31.10.2015 - Concluding October

So, that's it for October of 2015. I reached an object set for volume and gained a gold status at PokerStrategy. Result-wise the month was disappointing, as I managed to score just break-even result. A month ago I had 446€, now BR at Unibet is 389€, but I withdrew 100€ to be deposited on PokerStars so the combined poker BR at the moment of writing is 489€. So, to some point I can be contented with October, but to be honest, the month left a bad taste in my mouth.

However, I'm still learning in making difference between bad variance and bad play. During this month, I certainly experienced bad variance, but I am also quite sure that I played suboptimally in very many spots. Also, what is related into this aspect is the ability to recognize the skill of an opponent. There are some aggressive 3-bettors at Unibet's NL10. Some of them are spewwy maniacs, but some are actually relatively good. In addition, I have difficulties in adapting against aggressive pre-flop 3-betting and this might have been the biggest leak in my game during this month.

Unibet had a sort of a task point collecting challenge during this month, what, according to speculation at twoplustwo forums, might have caused some NL25 regs lowering their stakes to gain task points from lower levels, so there might have been more good players at NL10 than there have been earlier. However, this is not an excuse for the bad play for me, because I'm supposed to beat NL25 in some time myself and on the other hand, I still saw very many crazy plays at Unibet that are so easily exploitable. In addition to few regs, there are still so many fish in the sea. Two big things to learn in future are adapting to aggressive 3 betting and recognizing the skills and tendencies of my opponents.

I'm going to make an account at PokerStars tomorrow and I think the next month will be spent there, but more about it in the next post. I've unlocked a huge amount of learning resources by becoming a gold member, so there will be lot to learn in the next month. I think the next steps in learning are the rest of w34z3l's 6-max walkthrough videos and after them, I might be digesting the red-line rampage course.

See ya,
      ruastinraata
    • ruastinraata
      ruastinraata
      Bronze
      Wednesday 4.11.2015 - Zooming in

I created an account to PokerStars and also downloaded a trial version of Poker Tracker 4. In order to get familiar with Stars software and PT4, I've started by playing NL5 Zoom. I'm going to grind 10 000 hands at NL5 zoom and then I'll do something else, probably change to regular NL10.

I have not played zoom format earlier and here are some thoughts about it. It's good if you want to play many hands without sitting at like 10 tables. I'm not sure about the actual numbers, but I think that by playing tight at zoom tables, you can play approximately three-four times more hands than in a regular table. This is good for the situation where I am now, as I want to have an overall picture of the player pool at micro stakes and get used to software. But basically, I think regular tables are better. They allow you to play against your opponents, not just populated assumptions of the player pool from a specific stake.

After I've completed my 10 000 hands at NL5 zoom, I'll have to start studying and configuring the HUD of PT4. I have not done that yet, and there is not much of a use of HUD at NL5 zoom. It'll be the next step.

Also, I could not resist a temptation of trying to fulfill my secret dream of becoming a poker millionaire. I've played seven $0,50 Spin&Goes and actually won six of them, despite having no idea how one should play them. Flopping good is probably a sound strategy. Sadly, none of them were for million bucks, could you believe? But at least I am up $2,50, because every tournament has been for one buck so far. To be honest, I am not planning to play them anymore. I don't like the format, I haven't studied tournament type of play and in my opinion, the results are less dependent on skills in this format due to multiplier lottery.

In order to learn the game, I have started to post hands to the hand discussion forum. I try to post a hand every day I play and I've already learned quite a lot by doing that. Of course, I have been reading posts earlier as well, but maybe you see your own hands and thought processes bit differently than when the hand being evaluated is someone else's. Thanks for everyone who has commented.