I'm not clever enough

• hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Finally lost what money I had left at PKR so now I have no money in any account, like I said above I'm not clever enough to win in the long term sure I can win hands but I never leave with more than I started with.
      If anyone out there reading this has a decent argument against cancelling my poker accounts then please leave a reply.
  • 25 replies
    • KingHouse
      KingHouse
      Basic
      Are you sure that you're not raging when you are playing and making more emotional decisions as opposed to decisions where you have followed the process?

I'm not sure what level you're playing at but I feel anybody is definitely cleaver or smart enough to do OK at the lowest levels.

What level are you playing at, maybe the players there are just to strong for you and that's why you are losing your bankroll.
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      I guess, I can't go any lower than £0.01/£0.02
    • Drew94
      Drew94
      Bronze
      It's not for everyone, but anyone could do it.
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      read mental game of poker, understand and apply it.
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Thanks booomm will do, having read some of your blog what happens to me is nothing new, having read through some other posts on here I haven't played anywhere near enough hands, so from now on tilt over and I need to set my stall out and get serious will do some swatting up like you suggest and see where it takes me.

To anyone who's following please take no notice of my rants, I won't be doing anymore, thanks for putting up with me!
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hardlife66
      Thanks booomm will do, having read some of your blog what happens to me is nothing new, having read through some other posts on here I haven't played anywhere near enough hands, so from now on tilt over and I need to set my stall out and get serious will do some swatting up like you suggest and see where it takes me.

To anyone who's following please take no notice of my rants, I won't be doing anymore, thanks for putting up with me!
      I'm really glad that you already improved your mindset :) now all you have to do is work hard on your game and win some $$ :) )) best of luck to you mate.
    • Hazardi90
      Hazardi90
      Bronze
      :f_o:
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Thanks Booomm I know your following and thanks guys VorpalF2F and others who've given me advice in the past, reading your posts has put me on the right track just played 2 tables @ NL4 and after an hour I'm up $8.10, small world when you can see who else is multi tabling, it's nice to have you guys in my corner, catch you later.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi hardlife66,

It's really great that you're on the right track now! Congratulations on your winnings as well!

Just a word of caution, it is important to always stay objective both in good and in bad times. Results-oriented thinking never helps, no matter whether the results are positive or negative. Make sure to keep evaluating your decisions based on their expected value, and not on the amount of money you won or lost.
      But let's not be too negative, it's great that your efforts finally paid off!

If you're serious about your play, maybe you want to open up your own blog in our dedicated blogs section? That way, you could update us about whatever is happening at the tables and receive advice from us. I'd certainly stick around and chime in from time to time if I can help.

In any case, best of luck!
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Thanks Harrier88 I will be objective from now on maybe I will do a blog but not yet, give it a week first as had some internet connection problems but it's all sorted out now.
    • OMGimbroke
      OMGimbroke
      Bronze
      Nah man, if you really love the game then you can try to study and read alot to improve your game, otherwise its just a waste of time. Games are so hard these days.
    • hardlife66
      hardlife66
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OMGimbroke
      Nah man, if you really love the game then you can try to study and read alot to improve your game, otherwise its just a waste of time. Games are so hard these days.
      What books would you recommend?
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi hardlife66 ,

I would recommend reading a article 'The quick guide to skyrocketing your (poker) productivity' by Schnitzelfisch found Here.
      Also a good book also in audio book format is The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler.

Backing up what Harrier88 said. Starting a blog really helps you keep track of your progress.
      One good place to start is in the beginners forum, and the 'Learning to win' section found Here

If you are looking to challenge yourself a great challenge called 'get rich or die tryin' is worth a go.

Good luck in your games.

Regards

Matt
    • OMGimbroke
      OMGimbroke
      Bronze
      How to beat microstakes by blackrain79 is a good one.
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Double2 series is a super series imo! It's modern for today games! Gl.
    • johnmartin01
      johnmartin01
      Basic
      I feel very bad and sorry for your big money loss. Please do not invest if you are capable of playing poker and if you do not have gaming strategies and tricks. Why don't you take an assistance from an experience gamers like me?...it may prevent you from big loss.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by hardlife66
      I guess, I can't go any lower than £0.01/£0.02
      Technically, $0.30 jackpot SnGs are even lower stakes, I mean, they're playable even with a $10 starting roll, which you can just borrow from a friend.

Of course, more than 33 buy-ins will be needed for higher stakes, but I imagine how fishy the opponents are at the $0.30 level (especially at PKR that is fundamentally a /freshfish pond due to the 3D graphics), it won't take much thought to beat them, start by reading the basic status article 'Twister Poker: Let's Go!' and probably some good old books about general poker basics like David Sklansky's 'Theory of Poker' and Andrew Seidman's 'Easy Game' and you'll be fine.

Of course don't take concrete ranges from those books - they're much tighter than needed because cash games are played with 100 bb but jackpots - with 25 bb. Just pick general concepts like pot odds, Sklansky's theorem ["one profits at poker in the long run if and only if one prompts the opponents to make mistakes and doesn't make bigger mistakes himself"], the gap concept ["reraise or call a raise with a narrower range than the one you would raise if everyone before you folded"], and purposes of a bet [for value, as a bluff or to 'pick dead money' - make the opponent fold a hand with which he would have made an odds call if he saw our cards].

(Don't read the 'Spin & Go beginner strategy' in the MTT section - it's for total dummies who have never ever played poker, and following it thoughtlessly brings far less, if any, profit, than taking notes on the opponents and applying the general SnG knowledge and the brain in any sensible way.)
    • Svinhugg
      Svinhugg
      Gold
      I'm not the one to give any advices when it comes to play poker but ...

The players at PKR isn't good. Actually they are really bad sometimes. But that doesn't make it that much easier to beat them if you are not-so-good-player yourself. I prefer to play at Pokerstars where the players actions are somewhat easier to predict. There you can assume that players are thight in early position and looser late.

At PKR you can't really assume anything. You also have to addapt to the fact that almost every hand turns to a multiway pot. Somebodys bound to hit something.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      At PKR you can't really assume anything.
      are you kidding? if about ranges - you can assume that they will enter from EP with loose range for example :)