Card Odds - Pot Odds Equations

    • KingHouse
      KingHouse
      Basic
      Joined: 15.07.2015 Posts: 20
      Can I just ask, am I using the correct equations when working out the above when facing a bet whilst on a draw with the next card to come

      Using the ratio method.

      Card Odds

      Cards in Deck / Outs

      Pot Odds

      Current Pot / Amount to Call
  • 4 replies
    • KingHouse
      KingHouse
      Basic
      Joined: 15.07.2015 Posts: 20
      Anybody?
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Joined: 23.03.2011 Posts: 9,188
      Hey KingHouse,

      It should be unknown cards i.e. Cards in Deck + All opponents hole cards / Outs.

      Regards

      Laz
    • KingHouse
      KingHouse
      Basic
      Joined: 15.07.2015 Posts: 20
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey KingHouse,

      It should be unknown cards i.e. Cards in Deck + All opponents hole cards / Outs.

      Regards

      Laz

      I think I did actually mean that

      Unknown Cards / Outs

      ??
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Joined: 02.09.2010 Posts: 8,904
      Hi, KingHouse,
      I recommend the article The Basics: Odds and Outs

      There are charts in that article that express the odds of hitting various hands.
      For example:
      Assume you hold :9h: :4h: and the flop is :2c: :7h: :Ah:
      You have seen 5 cards, so there are 47 unknowns, and you have seen 4 hearts, so 9 of them are hearts
      9/47 = 0.19 this is the probability of hitting your flush.
      To express this as odds, you compare the probability of missing (81%) to the probability of hitting (19%)
      So 4:1

      This is more convenient because comparing the odds to the pot odds is a faster mental calculation than comparing probabilities.
      If the pot is $3.00 and a player bets $1.00 then you need to put $1 in to win $4 -- so exactly correct pot odds for the call.

      If you haven't already, I recommend that you follow the No Limit Hold'em lessons overview. It is a very good walkthrough of all the important concepts of poker.

      Hope that helped.
      VS