Question about SSS

• Tubbies
      Tubbies
      Bronze
      Been playing SSS on NL10 for 2 weeks now, so far i'm only using the strategy in the basic articles. My question is about trash hands. According to the articles you're supposed to raise 2/3 of the pot if you raised before the flop and you're alone with an opponent(and go all in if the raise is more than half your stack).

The thing is, this is working out fucking horrible for me and i've lost a lot of my bankroll this way. More often than not they either call me or reraise me, and when i don't hit anything on the turn either if i have any money left i'm forced to fold.

I'm pretty sure that it actually will pay out in the long run, or else it wouldn't be in the strategy guide, right? So my question is, can someone show me some kind of proof? As of now i'm actually starting to doubt my decision every time one of these situations arises, and i know fear sucks for your bankroll as well :(
  • 7 replies
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      A continuation bet on the flop will definately be +ev in the long run, you are playing on the fact that you showed strength before the flop, and with only one opponent, you have a lot of fold equity in this situation.

Think of it this way: preflop you had a strong hand, the opponent didn't have a hand strong enough to raise you, so they just called. When the flop comes down, a strong continuation bet is like saying 'I still have a strong hand, if you don't you will have to pay to see another card'. Sometimes they do have a strong hand, and to call a contibet they should have a strong hand, if they don't, it's -ev for them to call, unless they have trash and see your contibet as a last attempt to steal the pot.

On NL10 the players aren't that tricky though, a contibet to players on NL10 represents strength, and a call usualy represents strength also.

For proof...see the below hand.

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9:spade: , 9:heart:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.80, 4 folds, BB calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.70) J:club: , 7:diamond: , 5:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.30, BB folds.

Final Pot: $3.00

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of nines (9s 9h)

Hero wins with a pair of nines (9s 9h)
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      The guy that is calling you or reraising you don't know what you have, you could have AA for all he knows. So be happy when they play back at you. The conti bets builds your image and make you hard to read, because if you only bet with strong made hands people will not call you.

On the other side some people at NL10-NL50 are just very bad and sometimes theywill call with anything Q6s with nothing hoping for something like 6 on the turn to take out your AK...so if the opponent is really bad and you know he is not going to fold then you dont have to contibet every time. You should be confident that the guy is capable of folding against a short stack.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      also pick your battles some times it is wise to check if you raised a caller with KQ on the BB and the flop comes A 9 10 two suited it might not be the best time to lead out with a conti-bet vs. a tight preflop vilian
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      You need to post every hand that you are unsure of in the SSS forum.

I use an all-in conti-bet when the bet = 40% or more. That way they have no room to try and bluff, and fish with no clue love to bluff. Even if the fish has a pair you still win 25% or so with just 2 overcards.

AK is often the hand that makes you say grrrr. You bet, IP, you miss, they donk into you and you have to fold. Sucks yes? So if you master the odds n outs chart you will be able to push in +EV situations, like on a QT3 board or a T54 with BDFD as some loose examples.

At the low limits always c-bet vs one villian, as you move up you will get reads, notes and stats and be able to make case by case descisions. Until then just keep playing and keep learning, the more hands you see the better you will get. And post, post, post and post some more hands, plus read the hands of others and ask questions. Attend coachings. It is all right here for you, this site can teach you alot.

We cannot give you any proof the strategy works, other than the sheer amount of members that will tell you it does, myself included. Stick with it, and prove it to yourself. I did.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bkbart
      also pick your battles some times it is wise to check if you raised a caller with KQ on the BB and the flop comes A 9 10 two suited it might not be the best time to lead out with a conti-bet vs. a tight preflop vilian
      It's a great flop, a tight preflop villain won't call a shortie raise with an A... they'll reraise AK and fold the rest. They might call with a small pocket if they're bad (or misread your stack and called for set value or somrthing), which they will fold to your contibet... you have so many aces in your range so that ace is more likely to hit you than your opponent.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by davidangel
      You need to post every hand that you are unsure of in the SSS forum.
      Yes this is the key for a solid SSS poker player

AK is often the hand that makes you say grrrr. You bet, IP, you miss, they donk into you and you have to fold. Sucks yes?
      With an unpaired hand you will hit 33% of the time a Pair, so that makes missing the FLop 66% of the time :)

At the low limits always c-bet vs one villian, as you move up you will get reads, notes and stats and be able to make case by case descisions. Until then just keep playing and keep learning, the more hands you see the better you will get. And post, post, post and post some more hands, plus read the hands of others and ask questions. Attend coachings. It is all right here for you, this site can teach you alot.
      This part has it all, stick to this and you will go up:)

Oh and last note

Never Ever (evah) be Results-Orientated in the beginning, who cares if you lost $2 or win $2? It's all about learning how to play now, if you play good, the big blinds will come eventually!

Good luck,
      Gerv
    • Tubbies
      Tubbies
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers guys! Allthough i still hate it and i get reraised most of the time i'll trust the statistics and stick with it :O