Which poker books should I buy?

• indigotiger
      indigotiger
      Bronze
      Of course I love learning about poker here on Poker Strategy, but i'm wondering what your guys' reading lists are for poker?

Are there any MUST read books (specifically for improving in SNGs)?
  • 12 replies
    • Swiezak
      Swiezak
      Bronze
      best books for sng:
      icmizer or holdem resources calculator
    • Dadramel
      Dadramel
      Bronze
      I wouldn't recommend any book. Nowadays, theres no book that could provide you with live informations concerning online poker
    • CuietErik
      CuietErik
      Bronze
      I agree with Swiezak and Berezovaya.
      PokerStrategy.com has all you need.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Swiezak
      best books for sng:
      These are not books btw.

Not sure if any strategy books are relevant nowdays. You could learn some basic things from books though but you can learn those also from videos and articles and forum from our site. However I strongly recommend Mental Game of Poker 1 & 2 and maybe some poker mathematic related books.
    • Dadramel
      Dadramel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      Originally posted by Swiezak
      best books for sng:
      These are not books btw.
      I think he's aware of that :)
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Bronze
      Maybe not what you are searching for but it could help your ITM and HU play:
      Expert Heads Up No Limit Holdem Volume 1 and 2 by Will Tipton
      There are no particular strategies (for example he doesn't tell you "73s is a 3bet bluff hand and K9s is not"), but he tells you how to construct your range against your opponent tendencies, what part of it plays better with aggression/passiveness. And everything is calculated /almost/ perfectly!
      GL :f_thumbsup:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, all,
      Not exactly about Poker itself, but "The Mental Game of Poker" by Jared Tendler is an extremely good guide to managing and avoiding tilt.

I bought an electronic version and it was about half the price of the paper copy.

VS
    • indigotiger
      indigotiger
      Bronze
      Awesome. Thanks all :)

I'll get The Mental Game Of Poker & Expert Heads Up No Limit Holdem, and a copy of ICMIZER
    • PokarFace
      PokarFace
      Basic
      Read every article, watch every video, and discuss on poker hand analysis here on PokerStrategy.com =-)
      You'll learn a lot...

By the way, my favorite book is Harrington on hold 'em. I read it when I was 16 years old and won 1st place at a home poker tournament after that. LOL, but I'm being serious.

I have Gus Hansen's every hand revealed which will give you a great idea on how to discuss hand analysis here on the forum and how to think about everything that can affect your gameplay besides your two cards in hold 'em

I also have Phil Gordon's little green book. It is also a tournament poker book like Harrington's, but Harrington's book has a better layout and has more examples on how to play hands.
    • Lulush
      Lulush
      Bronze
      And which poker books would you recommend for better understanding of the mathematics in NL Hold'em?
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Bronze
      Books like Applications of NL HE by Mathew Janda is pretty good for beginners and advanced also ;)
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PokarFace
      I have Gus Hansen's every hand revealed which will give you a great idea on how to discuss hand analysis here on the forum and how to think about everything that can affect your gameplay besides your two cards in hold 'em
      This is actually pretty good book for someone who play MTT's.