Bad Luck Or Do I Suck?

• RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      I'm struggling to work out whether I suck or am just the most unlucky player around. At least twice in the past 24 hours made a set of Q's only to be beaten on the river by someone making a Straight, at least in one case with runner runner, in other case one of the two remaining Q's making him the straight when I was 95% (not that I pay attention to odds so much, but was massive favourite) - getting to the point now where I feel to call is to win. Just now bumped out making my straight on the river while the other guy made the nut flush ... I play on Sky as I like the MMT's there and the BH's .... but starting to feel I should just take my money into the street and throw it away ... surely I'm not the only one to suffer these shitty suck outs etc .... looking at my profile on Shakescope etc I am an abomination to Poker, but I know from experience that my monster hands rarely pay off and then I see guys winning with a pair of 8's when my straight / trips etc can't get the job done ... am I cursed? Starting to think so!
  • 7 replies
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      :Ts: :Jd: :3x: :Qc: :9c: :6s: :8c:

:5c: :Ac:

yazzy16 won 4075.00 with a Flush to the Ace
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      :Qx: :diamond: :Qc: :8c: :Kx: :diamond: :Jh: :Ts: :Qh:

:Ac: :6h:

seanyx won 680.00 with a Straight to the Ace
    • Hesticus
      Hesticus
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Personally, I think books will help you a great deal to cope and understand the long-term principle in poker. I also have these things many times (coincidentally, today bumped up to AA with my KK twice within an hour). However, some articles about psychology to begin with and maybe buy a book of the mathematics to poker will maybe show some perspectives of strategy, normal distribution, EV, etc. Above all, I would always stay within the limit and apply the bankroll guidelines given by PokerStrategy.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables!
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Hi Hesticus,
      Thanks for that. I also think my betting sizing sucks badly, as you can see I allow myself to be outdrawn, mind you it's impossible to get some to fold so might as well shove all in pre flop while I'm at least ahead!
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Did I miss something here? If you had set of Q's and fourth Q came in the river you beat villain's straight with your quads.

Sometimes you just suffer multiple bad beats. Only thing you can do is to make sure you did best possible decisions against your opponents. It`s all about the long run, gl!
    • RKBB65
      RKBB65
      Bronze
      Hi Nutz,
      It might not have copied clearly, but I had :Qd: :Qc: vs :Ac: :6h: and the flop was :8c: :Kd: :Jh: Turn :Ts: and the final fisting :Qh: I guess I could have coped better if I'd not been called by A 6 but as you say I can take some small comfort that I got it in with the best hand .. but you really do tire of the 'any Ace ' or 'any King' mentality.
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RKBB65
      Hi Nutz,
      It might not have copied clearly, but I had :Qd: :Qc: vs :Ac: :6h: and the flop was :8c: :Kd: :Jh: Turn :Ts: and the final fisting :Qh: I guess I could have coped better if I'd not been called by A 6 but as you say I can take some small comfort that I got it in with the best hand .. but you really do tire of the 'any Ace ' or 'any King' mentality.
      Well I thought you hit the set on flop and there was fourth Q on river. :)