I wanna be the Hero!!!

• PokarFace
      This will be my poker blog and learning journal where I'll log in my progress learning from books, articles, and videos; along with how I apply that knowledge on the tables :f_drink:

I'm currently playing NL10 while managing a conservative bankroll of 50 buy-ins.
      If I manage to build 25 buy-ins for the next level, NL25 ($625. I'll have to win $125 at NL10), I'll gladly move up :f_biggrin:

I'm standing at -$17 after playing 1,022 hands short-handed. I actually was at -$57 since I started at the NL25 and Zoom tables. I was either outplayed or experimenting variance on my first couple of hundred hands. Whatever the reason, I decided that my mediocre game was no excuse to prevent getting educated and learning the game in-depth, and that's why I'm here today =-)

By the way, my thread is titled, I wanna be the Hero!!!
      I named it after the ridiculously insane video game, I Wanna Be The Guy. The Movie: The Game, and as a reminder of how difficult and fun both poker and this game can be.

This game is free to play, just Google it and you can try it out if you're feeling adventurous :f_thumbsup:

Let's get ready to play poker. I wanna be the Hero!!!
  • 15 replies
    • PokarFace
      Raised my BB/100 to 8.53. Hands played at NL10 short-handed =1,241. I'm still waiting for variance to punch my face. It kicked faster at NL25 though.

Highlights of the day:
      I've been learning more on post-flop play and I've been experimenting CO and Button ranges.
      I gotta start figuring out how to defend my SB. Defending the BB is more straightforward since you're ultra limited on your range without Villains information.

I made a sweet check raise bluff OOP on the flop based solely on HUD stats :)

Unfortunately, I lost that profit chasing dreams while holding TQo in MP, my raise was x4 in position against SB who called it.
      Board was Jc 4d 3d board,
      I got offered 4.6:1 odds by the SB bet and called it,
      turn was 7c and SB continued aggression, this time only offering me 3.8 : 1 and probably drawing dead.
      I had no info on Villain s-=

Cracking aces-mid kicker?

CO: Hero ($7.49 in chips) VP 32 / PR 25
      BU: ($6.12 in chips)
      SB: ($9.90 in chips)
      Villian BB: ($10.21 in chips) VP 20 / PR 12

UTG: ($42.93 in chips) This guy was on a killing streak!!! VP94 (31/33!!!)
      MP: ($2.79 in chips)
      SB: posts small blind $0.05
      BB: posts big blind $0.10

*** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to Hero [Kc 6h]
      UTG: calls $0.10
      MP: folds
      Hero: raises $0.20 to $0.30
      BU: folds
      SB: folds
      Villain: calls $0.20
      UTG: calls $0.20

*** FLOP *** [Kh Ad 7c]
      Villain: checks
      UTG: checks Killing streak bro!
      Hero: bets $0.47
      Villain: calls $0.47
      UTG: folds

[/b]*** TURN *** [Kh Ad 7c] [3c] [/b]
      Villain: checks
      Hero: bets $0.94
      Villain: calls $0.94 Well, the rainbow flop shows Villain is ahead. I would have played a lower pocket the same way since Villain hasn't replied back.

*** RIVER *** [Kh Ad 7c 3c] [Kd]
      It was either this or check/fold blanks.
      Villain: checks huh?
      Hero: bets $2.08
      Villain: calls $2.08

*** SHOW DOWN ***
      Hero: shows [Kc 6h]
      Hero collected $7.54 from pot

*** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $7.93 | Rake $0.39
      Board [Kh Ad 7c 3c Kd]
      Hero collected ($7.54)

Villain asked me on the chat box if I really triple barreled a K before calling my river.

Do you guys know of any hand converter that takes Bovada hands?! I'm using Bovada's card catcher and it might be using an unconventional format. It seems to imitate PS hand format, but copy pasting it in WeakTight.com doesn't do anything s-=
    • PokarFace
      Running hot. I managed to build my bankroll at 6-hands NL10 only missing $8 from my original deposit. I thought that it was time to retry NL25 (I broke my promise of winning 12-13 BI @ NL10, but I only opened 2 tables at NL25).

hand count = 2,170
      BB/100 = 12.45 (LOL, variance. Need more hands)
      +38.83 above initial deposit including bonus being dispensed as I play.

Right now, I'm reading articles/watching videos on what to do when the Villian takes initiative after the flop. One lesson at a time Beer

I have a really good hand that is the perfect example of what NOT to do on the turn. It assumes player is loose, counts dead cards as outs, miscalculates pot-odds, bets in position against Villians check. And the best part is that I made those mistakes =-p

the lesson cost me around $2 @ NL10. Let me go search it and post it here x-D
    • PokarFace
      4,434 hands total
      BB/100 = 6.09 (now it's starting to look realistic)

986 hands in NL25 actually isn't enough to determine I'm the punching bag at that limit. I'm down -$58.34 in that limit. I really owe much of the loses to going on tilt after making a HERO all-in call on the turn with top two pairs (K T) vs. top pair (K, J). Villian caught the jack on the river and everything went down hill after that. I kept calling with wrong pot odds, called polarized villains, etc.

I didn't know I was too sensible to tilt, but the lesson cost me a little bit over two buy-ins. I don't mind losing a stack when I'm over played, but when the villain get the last card that can help him on the turn, I automatically click on fold after the next BB, and take a brake. I just feel crushed :f_ugly: (note: after 4,343 hands, I think it's happened to me around 4 times already on such a small sample, yet the hands remain so vivid throughout the day).

NL10 is starting to reflect that I belong there. It still shows the ultimate HERO stat of 20.31 BB/100 after 2,708 hands!! Can you believe that!?
      I gotta play more hands at the same phase; this time I'll be ready when reality punches my face, and I'll walk away when I get river sucked :f_ugly:

I'll keep reading articles and watch training videos.
      I'll start analyzing "cooler" hands, bad beats, and everything in between once I reach 5,000 hands. I've already analized a couple of them, and wow, I really made some bad calls in the first hundred hands :f_o:

Surprisingly, I think my biggest problem so far is the tilt factor. Everything else seems statistically possible :f_thumbsup:
    • teddypoker
      HI PokarFace,

Welcome to the BR Challenge and wish you best luck achieving your goal :s_thumbsup:
    • PokarFace
      @teddypoker. Challenge accepted!

I wanna be the Hero!!! :f_tongue:

Update (making it more fair for everyone)
      Starting bankroll $750
      Reach $3,750
      and at least a 3BB/100 rate @ 10-20k hands.

Changed my goals because I had a $250 initial deposit bonus above my $500 and rakeback being disposed as I play. So everything above/below $750 will be netted as % increase or decrease :f_thumbsup:
    • PokarFace
      Milestone: 1,000 hands won out of 6,057 played
      9.38 BB / 100
      sessions won 41.98%

I stopped playing for today cause Villain called pot odds of ~2.5:1 twice in a row to catch a gut-shot straight vs my set. Which he caught in the river =-p
    • PokarFace
      My first 10,000 hands and the stats!!

Too many bad beats, but that's still no excuse. I need another 10,000 to prove I'm either the Hero or the Zero.
      I'm going to review some hands. I've been calling lately original raiser holding suited connecters hopping that anyone else will tag along and give me the implied odds, but it hasn't worked recently! I'll have to wait until at least 1 person tags along with original raiser =-s
    • PokarFace
      Week 2
      hands: 4,073

profit: $24.5
      bankroll: 822.70 :f_drink:
    • iSoOwnYou
      Hey nice blog, and congratulations on booking another week of profit.

Nice comparison with poker to that video game, it did look kinda hard, and also fun - like you said, just like poker at times! :f_drink:

Good luck with your move back to 25nl when that happens!
    • PokarFace
      @ISoOwnYou, Hey thanks for stopping by! I'm trying to make my blog standout, but I spend most of my time outside of work grinding and studying Poker :)

I started playing PLO10 and 25. The swings are brutal. I'm liking them! But I'm about to reach negative!! I'm not worried since PLO swings are more dramatic and NLH, hehe
    • PokarFace
      I'd like to thank PokerStrategy.com for the amazing status-upgrade giveaway which I ended up winning :f_thumbsup:
      Link Text...

I really enjoy the site and will access the new content I've been missing. Please forgive me if I haven't signed-up to any of your deals, but the thing is that I live in the U.S. and can't take advantage of them :f_cry:
      However, I should mention that I bought Poker Tracker from your website when it was on sale at a great discount!!

The 10NL brag before the soul-crushing sessions at PLO25 :f_drink:

VPIP: 25.51 AFq: 50.80
      PFR: 18.51 WTSD%: 23.35
      WSD: 56.83

Note: I am being demoralized at the PLO tables!! I'll play 20k+ hands for consistency =-)
      I'm almost done with my first 10k hands at NL25. I'm down -55.94 over there.

Week 3
      hands: 8,031
      lost: $55.03
      bankroll: $767.67

For week 4, I'm probably going to finish extracting an additional sign-up bonus based on my volume of hands. Most of my loses actually come from PLO25 :f_p:

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make my forum blog more interesting. I want to post hands but I don't want to just post coolers and bad-beats, haha. Maybe I can record whole sessions, post them online, and comment while playing. That will definitely offer more insight on my current level and thought process:f_pleased:
    • PokarFace
      Week 4:
      Hands: 4,294
      Profit: 68.28
      Bankroll: $835.95

Most bad-beats ever! I didn't get to play enough hands this week cause I was hanging out with friends and had to work extra hours :f_zZz:
    • PokarFace
      I have a strong feeling the reporting time zone is based somewhere in Europe. Maybe London's time zone, so I'll go ahead and report:

Week 5:
      Hands: 6,924
      Profit: $40.45
      Bankroll: $876.40

^^ Just cause of the bonus being released as I play. In real life I'm getting obliterated at NL25 and PLO25. Volume of hands played takes care of that ;)
    • PokarFace
      Week 6:
      Hands: 9,108 (Zoom poker is wild!)
      Lost: $-16.16
      Bankroll: $860.24
    • SvenBe
      He PokarFace,

how is it going with the challenge?
      We were kind of missing your weekly update - Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread
      Please supply us with hands, graphs and many good beats :-)