Midstages of tournaments

• slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Silver
      Hi,

I always seem to fade away in the mid stages of a tournament, I usually start off tight and am around average then on the occasions when I get myself above average I then seem to struggle to keep myself there.

I've read the articles about 3betting / shoving around 25BB etc and I think I have a fairly good grasp of this but I dont seem to be making enough deep runs into the money.

I have been reading about 3betting light, but I find it hard to know when to do this. I do it more against late position raises as this seems more obvious, but often in the tournaments I play you get people who never raise any hand, so you mind up with 3 or 4 callers in front of you then when I shove they flip over AA or KK. I know this doesnt happen all the time but it has happened enough to question this tactic a little

Any advice welcome,
      Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      That depends on what kind of stakes you play. At micros 3bets should be decent hands and usually shoves at around 30bb or...
      Play 'small ball' - call with bottom of your 3betting value range is a good idea because players are so bad at postflop decisions (comminting themselves with bluffs with no equity or betting without any kind of a purpose, etc..)
      At bigger games 3betting 99-JJ and AQ,AK are often good plays because you will either make your opponent fold their good enough equity or you will see all 5 cards.
      At micros 3betting those hands often mean you will have to make a decision on the flop whether to commit your tournament life with your A high or 2nd/3rd pair.
    • slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Silver
      Thanks for your input
      I play micros, generally MTT's up to 5$/€.

YOu suggest shoving 30BB, generally I have read start 3bet shoving at 20BB so is this just a micro thing to shove sooner?

Usually I have been 3betting AK, especially mid to late stage when its a shove, but early on I have been trying out just calling as often I 3bet & still get called by 2 or more players and then never quite know if I'm ahead or not on the flop even when the A or K falls.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Yes, exactly. People just like clicking the call button with dominated hands, so charge them more - push deeper. Of course when you have deeper than 30bb stack its good enough to wait for good opportunity to apply your postflop edge.

Now, whatever you read - its not a rule, its more of a guideline.
      For example - if Phil Ivey 3bet pushes with as high as 22.5bb, that doesnt mean that your 3bet push with AQo at 35bb is a mistake. It could very well be. But it would also be extremely profitable exploitation value push against a fish who would not fold any dominated hand. Just be observant when someone shows an "unconventional" holding and make a note.
      And always experiment. If the GTO says you should value bet exactly half-pot OTR, you wouldnt make a mistake to do so, but it would be a better option to go with exploitative route and bet 3 times the pot if your opponent "has his Fold button disabled". Thats 6 times more value! :s_thumbsup:
      GL :f_cool:
    • slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Silver
      Originally posted by nsavov
      Now, whatever you read - its not a rule, its more of a guideline.
      You've just hit the nail on the head there, I think I need to trust my instinct a bit more against theses really fishy players and not necessarily always make normal sensible poker theory bets etc