MP1 ($1.85)
      MP2 ($7.35)
      CO ($2.00)
      Hero (BTN) ($11.85)
      SB ($7.25)
      BB ($12.44)

Pre-flop: ($0.15, 8 players) Hero is BTN 9:heart: A:heart:
      UTG raises to $0.20, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.20, 2 folds

Flop: Q:spade: A:club: 8:club: ($0.55, 2 players)
      UTG bets $0.27, Hero raises to $2.50, UTG folds

Final Pot: $3.27

Hero wins $3.27 ( won +$0.57 )
      UTG lost -$0.47

Was this play correct? Figured i was ahead of his range here, think he may have min-raised with small pp or something, he bet but it didnt seem like he had top pair and he wasn't the kind of player to min-raise monsters so i pushed to increas FE rather than let him catch onto something, was this ok?
  • 6 replies
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I think its kind of loose, but minraise indicates his not a sss player, so you almost autmaticly assume hes a fish :) Half pot bet on the flop, which is definitely not dry, is also kind of weak. I dont I'd 3bet that huge, but other than that nh.
    • gaz639
      gaz639
      Bronze
      thanks jachis, i was going to bet pot (3x27)+55 but this was more than half his stack so a push is correct in those circumstances isn't it? or was pot re-raise to strong in first place here?
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I think sometimes beting him directly all in, you can lose some value, because he folds. I dont know is it necessary to bet pot here, but if it is, your push is fine.

Also yesterday I read those silver articles about bet types, I wonder in which categorie this counts :) Is it a bet for value or a bluff bet?
    • gaz639
      gaz639
      Bronze
      for me it was more a protection call, it wasn't a bluff bet as i thought i had the best hand but i didn' really want a big pot where if i just reraised him he could call and catch 2 pair, set etc, so i knew i was ahead but didn't want to see a turn
    • srohack
      srohack
      Bronze
      hi
      i would fold preflop in this spots .
      if you call and hit top pair you arent raising to increase fold equity you raise for value and hope to get it in against worse .
      if you call pre and hit the a you have to go with it
      gl
    • gaz639
      gaz639
      Bronze
      thanks for the post, i think this might be a leak i have, in the BSS articles it says about what hands to call with, and then if somebody min raises after you have called then you can call the min raise, so if somebody min-raises before i call i think well i would call the .10c so i will still call it, i recognise this as a big leak now because 90% of the time i have to fold. I think with the UTG min raise i put him on a small pp or something so thought my A would be good, this has worked several times but ive been caught out by min raising monsters and the utg monster limp but so many people limp and min raise weak hands like pp that i know it isn't likely to be a monster