Another new begining

• DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Hi, playing poker for half a year. Was mostly losing player till now, now decided to take fresh start, rebuild mine play. And do some bloging to prevent myself from errors (at least i think it can help me with that ;) ).

My expierence - several hundert tousands of hands. So i know the basics.

Will start playing on nl10, SH on pokerstars. Tried other clients, but understood that bigger bonuses does not make me to feel so comfortable as perfect pokerstars software and tons of players there.

My one of leaks were - i used to play on 1x boards, not giving required atention to the quality of play, so from now will play on 4-6 tables at a time, getting enougth time to pay attention to whats happening around.

BR - well i havent set margin on it yet, will do when will go on higher limits. Now depositing as much as needed for playing comfortly on nl10. Anyway impossible to lose much money in this limit. Nor to win ;) . Im in nl10 just until i will feel that i can play wining poker on nl25.

tasks for remaining of this week:
      1. play as many hand as i wish, but control myself for being not tired and in good mood while play. Any negative signs should mean end of the session.

2. slightly rebuild my tagish 15 vpip play to the something more suited for SH. vpip 20 or so (where opponents will allow).

Question to readers: what pfr i should have on nl10 SH? Dont say that ~20, to many loose players there, will get called to offten with hands i dont want to be called with. Or its my leak because im thinking so?
  • 28 replies
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      1st session 500+ hands, vpip18, pfr 9 (omg dont expected this to be so low. Will improve this in the first place), agression 2, went to showdown 27 (i think i should lower this one slightly).

Question to readers: how to make myself more comfortable to raise KJo (should be in my range) from the late when there are two vpip40+ in blinds or vpip40+ limper(s)? Ok i can 4bet + 1bb per limper actualy, but will lose many flops and fold to 3bets after. Is it normal? What should i do in such marginal (for my understanding) situation? Raise more to scary loose players?

+$18 - thanks for 2 LAGs mostly.
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Had another poker session today. Althougth managed to fix my stats a little, overall im not satisfied, because caugth myself on tilt 2 times.

started ok, after wining some small/medium sized pots i have lost two big pots to lag. Had good enougth hands to check call till showdown, he had sucky stats, but better hands. Well, s**t happens.

Then started to tilt - caught myself. Tried to concentrate - unsucessfully, so stopped to play cash tables. Played sone SNGs, made dinner, played with daughter.

Restarted session. Break helped - tilt gone. Again won some small/medium sized pots and again started to tilt, because players around where playing very loose game (tilt consisted of trying to get every loose player to showdown, even my cards were not the best). So stopped playing writing this blog message and going to party ;)

vpip 21
      pfr 14
      agression 2
      wtsd 23

win/loss: -6$
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Got a short session after party just before sleep. I know its not good, but cannot stand against chance to play agains friday night fishes.

Fishing was not so good. 200 hands only.

win/loss: +$2, stats - quite ok

Would be interesting to read other opinions/memories/impressions of playing friday night. Its different from other days for sure.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      good luck on revamping your game I am doing the same thing right now.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hey whats your nick on stars?
      I play NL 10 SH there quiet regularly (ChrisMoers)
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DEVILazas
      Would be interesting to read other opinions/memories/impressions of playing friday night. Its different from other days for sure.
      Friday is different for sure. I mean, NL10 is fishy, but Friday really brings them out. I noticed the slowplay was there in abundance.

I had ppl calling 3BET's OOP with middle pairs, and check min-raising with them when the flop brings undercards. They almost made me lay down some biggies...actually, an A10 did get me to lay down KK by playing very fast after hitting TPTK on a T high board. Gave 'em too much credit I suppose.

Good times though, finished up about 2.5 BI's. :D
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Thanks for answers. Good to know im not only one from ps liking stars and building his play on nl10 SH. Hope we will share our experiences and will do better together.

My nickname is same in pokerstars. Any way to change it for not being exploited? (Dont really think its possible on nl10, but who knows what will happend later)

Im in the middle of my another session (taking a break for lunch and some poker theory). Game is still very loose maybe because weekend.

Anyway adjusted my play to play against loose players. Mainly by reducing mine post flop aggression rate, but incerasing ammount.

Plus starting to play with 6 boards.

+2$ currently
    • Gambitwd
      Gambitwd
      Bronze
      hiya DEVILazas!

Taking an important decision isnt easy, it always brings you to make major changements - therefore - alot of work as well / Im wishing you my best with your new goals. Take it one step at the time until your mind get used to it , after a while it will be like a natural reflex and things should be going a lot smoother.

Again Good Luck to you!!

Christine :heart:
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Thank You for cheerink me up Christine, i need this.

Well today were a good day, lady variance finaly turned to my side. +15$ since last post and it comed in a 300 hands.

vpip dropped to 19. Thats becausese i started to fold some hands instead of reraising vs loose players, because it definetly doesnt pay up.

Have a good evening!
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Still upswing.

after watching some SNG's coaching (hope will be able to play these profitably one day) played 250 hands and won $15. Nice huh?

Im not overestimating this temporary success, yesterday i have watched tribuncesar's movie about moving from FR to SH (second time) and repeating his words to myself when losing big or wining big: "variance on SH is much bigger".

Anyway feel to horny (because of wining few marginal hands) to continue playing, because i know i will make mistakes in such mood.

Will make a break, read some articles, and maybe will play some 1$ SNG. Will comeback to cash tables later today.

Strange thing btw. Oponents today are slightly tighter, but my VPIP is just 18 (i thougth i will have 21-22 vs tight oponents because stealing more frequently). I still cannot force myself to rise suited connectors from MP2 as tribuncesar does, maybe thats why my vpip is <20.

riddle, what cards MP3 had? (see below)

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $3,90
      BB:
      $8,05
      MP2:
      $7,95
      MP3:
      $17,35
      CO:
      $6,00
      Hero:
      $10,50

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with T:spade: , T:club: . CO posts a blind of $0,15.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,10, CO checks, Hero raises to $0,60, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0,50, CO folds.

Flop: ($1,50) T:diamond: , A:diamond: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $1,00, MP3 calls $1,00.

Turn: ($3,50) K:diamond: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $2,00, Hero calls $2,00.

River: ($7,50) 2:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $7,00, Hero calls $6,90 (All-In), MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $21,30
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      AK or AQ :D

Anyway feel to horny (because of wining few marginal hands) to continue playing,
      0_O =)

Looking forward to your SH progress
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Answer is 66. Jujging by its rock like stats i decided that he is completed the draw or had AK, because showed aggression on the turn. Anyway i have understood perfectly that i have 0 fold EQ against him, but have a lot of value to show down, so decided to check call. Unfortunately he have pushed me all-in, i have called, because had hope he will have worse hand.

Completed another 500 hands session, win/loss ~$0 there. Anyway im quite happy about that, coz $0 when lost few big pots against lags is quite good achievement. With these lags You never now. Actualy im thinking about writing select what is my winratio playing against lags. I fear it can be negative.

Watched another SH video made by undercover82. Well, spent not the best time, because his english almost as bad as mine + he has some sad storry telling manner. I have been quite depressed listening to him. I think i even cried when some fish bad beated him. Anyway i learned something. This guy did big showdown bets, when he thougth he was ahead (althougth somebody could trap him easily there). And i tried to do same in my last session. What can i say - its a hellprofitable on nl10.
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Ok, wrote selects.

won vs players having vpip >= 30 and pfr >= 15 where winings were more than 0.55 cents - ~60 bucks in 30 pots

lost vs players having vpip >= 30 and pfr >= 15 where winings were more than 0.55 cents ... drums ... ~58 bucks in 25 pots

it shows clearly that im playing wrong vs lags. Place to selfimprove

Posting sql selects there to find later, feel free to use/bugreport.

losing select

select count(amount_won), sum(amount_won)
      from gameplayer gp1
      where
      player_id = (select player_id from player where player_name = 'DEVILazas' LIMIT 1)

and exists
      (
      select 1 from gameplayer gp2
      where
      gp2.game_id = gp1.game_id
      and gp2.winner = true
      and gp2.player_id in
      (
      select player_id
      from

-- player id + vpip + pfr
      (
      select
      player_id,
      sum(case first_action_pf in ('call', 'raise') when true then 1 else 0 end) * 100.0 / count(first_action_pf) as vpip,
      sum(case preflop_raise when true then 1 else 0 end) * 100.0 / count(preflop_raise) as pfr
      from gameplayer
      group by player_id
      ) players
      --

where
      gp2.amount_won >= -gp1.amount_won - gp2.amount_won / 5 -- won everything except rake
      and vpip >= 30 and pfr >= 15
      )
      )
      and amount_won < -0.55

wining select

select count(amount_won), sum(amount_won)
      from gameplayer gp1
      where
      player_id = (select player_id from player where player_name = 'DEVILazas' LIMIT 1)
      and winner = true
      and exists
      (
      select 1 from gameplayer gp2
      where
      gp2.game_id = gp1.game_id
      and gp2.player_id in
      (
      select player_id
      from

-- player id + vpip + pfr
      (
      select
      player_id,
      sum(case first_action_pf in ('call', 'raise') when true then 1 else 0 end) * 100.0 / count(first_action_pf) as vpip,
      sum(case preflop_raise when true then 1 else 0 end) * 100.0 / count(preflop_raise) as pfr
      from gameplayer
      group by player_id
      ) players
      --

where
      -gp2.amount_won >= gp1.amount_won - 0.55 -- considerable input to the pot, other players did not lost more than 0.55
      and vpip >= 30 and pfr >= 15
      )
      )
      and amount_won > 0.55
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Ok its almost a midnight there im about to start new week and ajust my tasks for myself.

1. I have done quite good with adjusting general play under SH, but clearly missing some adjustments depending on what sits on the table. Need to search articles/videos for that and try it in my play.

2. Still have problems with the tilt. Read articles/comments about how to control tilt.

3. Give work to jugdes, post some hands to judge if played right.
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Ok played my first 400 hands this week. +$4 althougth i didnt enjoyed the game, maybe because such time, many loose players on tables and big variance coming with them.

really dont know what to offer to hands judges, posting non standart play targeted to value extraction (hidden set).

sh value extraction
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Rotated another 50 hands before sleep. +$6 because somebody decided to allin vs my pocket rockets.

Reason why i have started to play is simple. Watched hansebraten's big draws video and rereaded article playing vs calling stations. There is good sentence in the article btw: "the calling stations may bring You on tilt". How i didnt noticed that sentence several months ago, that would saved me tons of everything! Anyway, after theory i wanted to try something on practice, but after 50 hands understood that it could wait till tomorow.

Night all!
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Its maybe annoying to read all mine posts, i make quite frequently, just i want to give better image what is happening to those who maybe will suggest something to me.

Played another 200 hands. Its another +$4, but easily could be -$4, because my play was heavily reads based. I won it not having more than one pair on hands. Its good, that most of reads were correct. Also i have managed to fold where i should. Thats good also.

Posting one of my reads based hand to jugdes:

reads based non toppair play

By the way just looked at my day stats (600+ hands). They are ideal! vpip 23, pfr 17, agg 2, wtsd 22! Superb, im improving :) !
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      Guess what? Villains did beated me. Had bunch of bad beats today, but managed to semirecover in the long session. so -$7 after last posting, and something like +$7 per day.

Feeling very good. Played because wanted to play and had time, so no pressure. Didnt began to tilt after bad beats, stats ok. No hard feelings. And this little - does not affect mine play at all (at least i think so).

had interesting hand today - was shoked when nobody folded in 3way pot to mine overpair and solid flop bet. Anyway took the pot:

nl10 sh overpair 3way

Question to readers. Its for me only, that i starting to feel some "working mode on" on myself when playing thinking game on same limits over and over again? Its good because helps not to tilt, but a bit strange to feel myself as in work, not as having fun/playing/whatever.
    • DEVILazas
      DEVILazas
      Bronze
      On the road again. $9 in 200 hands. Good begining of the new day. Tried those fast tables of the pokerstars. I think they are somewhat fishier, or its just this time? Logicaly thinking there should be better players on these tables, because of less time to think. Anyway because of speed made few mistakes so will rollback to the old tables for a while. Anyway such small experiments are always nice because brings fun. Just need to be aware of tilt because of experiments.

Thinking to write selects, hows profitable to call river bets, when player is loose. Because if You choose check/call line almost always can expect bet on the river.

But thats for tomorow. Night all!