This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Bankroll gone... again

• Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      I don't deserve gold status. Should have seen it coming somehow, I lost $250 in less than a week. My normal $5.50 SnG limit made me go down to about $100 in three days. Like someone just doesn't want me to win. Nothing works, not even beginners' SnG's. Went down to $40 playing lower limit SnG's, then just switched to cash games. And now I lost my very last NL10 buy-in with QQ against AA. I'm seriously considering quitting poker. Either it's rigged, or downswings make good play worthless. Either way, I can't make any profit, no matter what I do or how I play. How can I keep believing the strategy works if I keep losing money with it? I'm really desperate now...
  • 4 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      - take 1 week off (no poker in any form; no thinking about hands, position, betting,...)
      - after that read poker articles (take 3 days instead in one shot)
      - start playing 4-6 tables
      - play supertight to gain your confidence back (don't call when you know you're beat - NO "maybe I can get this draw")

My story: got $50, played badly and in few weeks it was only around 5$ left. I said no more poker for me. After 1 month I registrated for bronze freeroll and actually won it and 150€. After that I actually read all the articles about cash game and in 3 weeks I was on 600€. It was an upswing but even after 200$ one-day-tilt downswing I didn't crushed cuz my game improved and I knew it.

Now I started with sngs and the results are not so bad on $1 :P Now the expectations are not so big, because I know my limits and I actually see my progress. Too much pressure is the main reason - everything is in the head!

Find some good nonpoker books to read, go out with friends, do some sports,...just no poker for a while and when u come back (after u read all the articles) everything will be ok.

Take care and good luck :D
    • Solomaextra
      Solomaextra
      Bronze
      Very good suggestion by yaxkukmian to get a week off and then read many articles, it works so good for me, I start thinking logically, don't tilt and I notice that after some days off and reading articles my profit is always high, always.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Silver
      how deffensive is your BRM? maybe a more deffensive approuch to your BR may help? maybe you moving up limits to quick or arnt droping down quick enough?
      A player is only as big as there BR any player who fell a certain limit is "bellow" them then there ego is seting them up for a fall.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Thanks for the good advice, I think I'll take some time off from poker, I've spent my last two weekends on it. Maybe a few nights out with friends can get me happy again. I usually follow the BRM described in the articles, but I probably drop down too late when it comes to SnG. It's hard to lose more than 10 in a row on a limit that I usually beat with ease. Not that I have much choice now, since I only have like 4 dollars left. I'll just spend the following week trying to get it out of my head...

Edit: Just thought I'd give you a taste of what I had to swallow for the past week, finishing with yesterday's most remarkable hands. After 20 minutes, I've been knocked out (2nd time) out of a $1 R/A tourney. Only 150 participants, but they've been pushing and rebuying almost every single hand. One time I called a push from the button with ATs, only to be busted by some fish with T9 because surprise surprise, he caught a nine. After a rebuy, I waited a long time, the blinds were 40/80 by that time, limped with QJ, and got top 2 with 2-suited board in a multi-way pot. A renown fish bets right into me, I push, he calls and flips T5:spade: with absolutely nothing but a flush draw. And the river was... hey, a spade!

But that's not the worst part. The absolutely last game I played yesterday, $1 SnG, I got up to 2k chips, a shortstack pushes, I re-push to beat him heads-up and another fish calls from SB with... KQ:club: . Shortstack had A7. Flop: KT4 rainbow, 1 :club: . Not only did the turn come Q:club: , but just to rub it in, he rivered out another :club: