My Blog. How to

• metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi PS forum.
      I am looking to start (again) with my blog on the 'Your poker blogs' section.
      What I would like to know is there any information in the forums about how to format and what coding can be used to improve the look of my blog. ie, banners. polls etc..
      I am new to blogging and have very minimal knowledge on this.

My Regards

Matt
  • 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi Matt...
      Along the top row of the edit window are a number of text-decoration tools you can use.

You can create a consistent set of headings by mixing them up:
      For example this is color=#0000AA and bold

00AA00 bold

AA00AA bold

etc.
      You can also use different sizes.

Create a set of markups you like and use them as necessary.

I hope I understood your question correctly...

Enjoy,
      VS
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi VorpalF2F.
      Thank you for your reply. This does help me. I think I shall have a play about with some mark ups, and save a few templates for future use.
      When It come to the code button is there a thread that lists all the different codes and their actions That i can refer to?
      Regards

Matt
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, metalmonkey80,
      I think that the code button does only one thing.
      code:
      Everything between the opening [code] tag and the closing tag comes out exactly as it went in.  
      For example [color=#0000AA][b]Here the colour and bold tags do nothing[/b][/color].
      Also, the background changes, it gets a title and the lines are numbered.
      It's purpose is to display snippets of a program.  
      On some forums it is possible to identify the language, 
      in in those cases the code is highlighted to show the syntax elements of the language.
      Code tags also insist on an extra line break above and below the code block
      I will try to find out from the ninjas if there are other code markups.
        If you create a list
        then every line has 4 spaces in front
        but no bullet
          lists can be nested
          I don't know how deep.
      • If you click the "list item" button
      • for each line you get bullets
        • Even if you nest a bulleted list
        • the bullets don't change

Here is the code that did that list. Note that I don't have a line break after the list tags.
      code:
      [list]If you create a list
      then every line has 4 spaces in front
      but no bullet[list]lists can be nested
      I don't know how deep.[/list][/list][list][*]If you click the "list item" button
      [*]for each line you get bullets[list][*]Even if you nest a bulleted list
      [*]the bullets don't change[/list][/list]

The only way to vary the bullet that I know of is to roll your own.
      :diamond:   Just use any tiny enough image (this is the diamond suit smiley)
      :diamond:   Also I like to have two spaces after my bullet, but html collapses white space. The trick is to hold down the alt key on a standard keyboard and tap 0160 on the number pad.    You can put as many in a row as you like.

the alt trick is useful for any number of symbols that are not on a standard keyboard.
      œ for example. In North America we have dollars and cents, but for some reason there has never been a cents symbol. The alt-code for that is 0162, but it doesn't work: ¢ Close enough, I guess.

Any Unicode character can be inserted, but is dependant on the code page your browser uses.

Enjoy,
      VS
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hello VorpalF2F,

Thank you for taking the time to help me understand the code a bit better. Your example has really helped my understanding of the format.
      Looks a bit like Basic. (the last time I programmed was on a ZX Spectrum!)

In the next two weeks I shall begin my Blog. I have been using PS now for two years and found It invaluable in helping my game and look forward to adding and learning more from the community over the next few years.

I look forward to hearing if nijas has any other code mark ups.

Have a great day.

My regards

Matt
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Gold
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      the alt trick is useful for any number of symbols that are not on a standard keyboard.
      œ for example. In North America we have dollars and cents, but for some reason there has never been a cents symbol. The alt-code for that is 0162, but it doesn't work: ¢ Close enough, I guess.
      Hi VS

You forgot about another Windows option: running the 'charmap' program (press Win+R, then type 'charmap' in the dialogue window and click 'OK'; or find 'charmap' in the search form of the Start panel). It's far less convenient, but more universal than Alt codes.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Tony
      Good call -- charmap does indeed work.
      The only caveat is that in a forum such as this, the character code might be rendered differently in different fonts.

For example, using Firefox, my default font is times new roman.
      In that font, the cents symbol (alt-0162) looks like this: ¢
      In Arial it looks like this: ¢

If I open charmap, and find the character at A2, (162 in hex) and copy it, I get:
      ¢, but If I switch charmap to Arial, and copy and past the same character it looks like this: ¢ -- you'll notice that it is rendered the same.

So whether you type the alt-code or use charmap, but your readers are using a different font, you cannot tell ahead of time what they see.

But what I did discover in the process of testing this is that you can use font tags to specify what fonts the forum uses. I have no idea what happens if you specify a font that is not available to the reader -- this could happen if you specify "wingdings" on a PC and a person using a Mac tries to read it.

Until today I only knew that courier new could be specified.
      That is how Equilab manages to produce a nicely formatted display.

Board: Q:heart: 7:club: 2:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    91.62%  91.62%   0.00% { AA }
      MP3     8.38%   8.38%   0.00% { KK }

The code for that is
      code:
      [FONT=courier new][SIZE=12]
      [b]Board: [/b]Q:heart:7:club:2:spade:
      [b]       Equity     Win     Tie[/b]
      [b]MP2  [/b]  91.62%  91.62%   0.00% { AA }
      [b]MP3  [/b]   8.38%   8.38%   0.00% { KK }
      [/SIZE][/FONT]

Incidentally the Equilab output is how I first discovered the non-breaking space trick.

I will try three fonts, and on the weekend I'll have a look at them on a Mac to see what happens:

I'll use 3 common windows fonts:
      Verdana: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
      Arial: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
      Wingdings: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
      Clearly wingdings does not work -- neither do a few others I tried..
      I'll try to find out what fonts are supported.

Our headadmin Lazza found a resource on bbCode that may be useful.
      The gist of it is that html has a limited number of fonts, so our choice of fonts is somewhat limited.

VS
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi,
      Thanks for all your help.
      I have just published my main blog. I was also wondering about layout of blogs. Is there a way to do this?

Regards