Crushhh from nothing this is how we do it

• iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Hey All

For many years I have played poker. For many years I tried very hard and did not make much progress.

Why?

Poor discipline.
      Lack of consistency.
      Grounded in poor mental game.

A year ago I met someone who is a good friend now. He is a midstakes pro. I started in a coaching deal with him but since we become friends. Now we an arrangement where I help him with some things unrelated to poker and he helps me with poker.

A while ago i won a trip to Malta to play battle of Malta! I don't have a passport or flights booked I decided to try to get great at poker finally and also see if I can make some money to pay for Malta expenses and develop a bankroll.

For past year I have been playing on Unibet without a hud as I like Unibet. However to improve I need to get my hands analysed so I'm going to play nano stakes on a site that allows huds for a short period of time to get hands analysed and work on my game. Soon I am going to move to 10nl or 25nl and start trying to grind a bankroll from here. Of course subject to me managing to consistently play well at nano stakes.

So this is the blog in which I will chart my success and share with you my thoughts. I will be putting about 80% of all my life energies into this for near future.

Will update next when I have started nano grind and will be posting regular graphs.

Thanks for stopping by!
  • 37 replies
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Wrote that first post on bus home from live mtt which i busted, not bad for a little windows phone screen! Home now and setting up HM2
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Spent an hour setting my software up, HM getting hud setup and pokerstars setting various options. As I haven't played on stars or with hm2 for quite a while. All very useful.
      First session went pretty decent. Despite some calls I made which I shouldn't because I was vs a 47/10 fish and I thought he probably doesn't have it... twice...

I'm just 4 tabling for now because I want to focus on getting the quality of my play right and on adjusting to using a hud that's the whole point of playing at the nanos to start this challenge off. I'm actually enjoying it, it's a different experience to 12+ tabling that's for sure!

Here's to a decent day at it tomorrow. :f_p:
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      I have played 5,624 hands. I was 4 tabling but this was a bit slow so I increased the tables.
      Went through a nasty stretch of a couple K hands of just not being able to hit anything and villains consistently hitting ridiculous hands. Managed to grind through it though and it feels like success to even be in profit the way things turned out the last day or two!

I've got a good system going now, where I review my biggest losing hands before each session, which is a nice learning and focus tool. I'm also using Onenote which docks nicely to the screen for my focus notes for the session.

This is pretty useful as I can have it on the screen while I'm playing. I have the essential stuff that I forgot about playing 2nl such as - "don't bluff rivers. Fish don't fold", and also reminders of some of my own leaks such as "Don't fall in love with a hand pre-flop and never let it go post flop". "fold to turn raises unless VERY strong, or have correct odds to call".

Poker is a great game a real test of mental character. If I'm honest I tilted pretty hard the last session mentally (but didn't let it affect my play too much).

Focus for the time being is to enjoy the moment. Play well. Detatch from the results!

Wishing you success with your own grinds :f_drink:
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      Best of luck with your challenge :f_thumbsup:
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Thanks 8runo :f_drink:
      Just had a review with my coach and... well... let's just say lots to work on... !

Talk about being blind to your own bad plays. Well going to see if I can fix a lot of that in the next sessions.
      I was also reminded that this isn't about volume. If i want to crush 2nl for a great hourly I might as well go and get a job in mcdonalds instead.
      This is about learning the skills that will enable me to crush eventually at midstakes. Less play, less tables, more study, more thinking!

Thanks for dropping by :f_thumbsup:
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by iSoOwnYou
      Talk about being blind to your own bad plays. Well going to see if I can fix a lot of that in the next sessions.
      I was also reminded that this isn't about volume. If i want to crush 2nl for a great hourly I might as well go and get a job in mcdonalds instead.
      This is about learning the skills that will enable me to crush eventually at midstakes. Less play, less tables, more study, more thinking!
      That's great advice I could do with listening to!! Less play more study!! I've been castigating myself for weeks in my blog now for not studying! Tomorrow is a new dawn and I will shift my focus - you're right - McDonalds pays substantially more and the goal is to move up to where it doesn't!!
    • la55i
      la55i
      Nice blog, gonna follow it. Good luck! :f_drink:
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck sir!
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Nice 8runo please it helped you, it was a good wake up call for me too!

Thanks la55i ! :f_drink:
      Thanks Upay4Dinner! :f_drink:

Things went pretty well today, I still have to reign the volume in a little bit as I played for the majority of my time and I should have really studied for the majority of my time, but we are getting there. The spew from my last session I think... has all but disappeared! Which I'm pleased with. I'm sure I'll find out when my hands are next reviewed.

The playing experience felt a little different today. I felt more composed and in control, and actually thought to myself I can imagine doing this at higher buy-ins from a nice house that I've paid for from poker at some point in the future.

:thinking:

I think this is to do with thinking about what I'm doing more and concentrating on trying to improve.

Had a couple of big pots, this one I'm told was played OK - but the 400bb loss was a bit of a blow at the time! When this guy checks the turn I really can't give him credit for the only possible hand he could have in his range that beats me (flopped straight).

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02, $0.01 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $5.27 (263.5 bb)
      BB: $6.64 (332 bb)
      CO: $6.31 (315.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $7.78 (389 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J J
      CO folds, Hero raises to $0.04, SB calls $0.03, BB calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.16) 5 9 6 (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.11, Hero calls $0.11, SB folds

Turn: ($0.38) J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.27, BB raises to $0.86, Hero raises to $2.28, BB raises to $6.48, Hero calls $4.20

River: ($13.34) K (2 players)

Results:
      $13.34 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: 5 9 6 J K
      BB showed 7 8 and won $13.04 ($6.40 net)
      Hero showed J J and lost (-$6.64 net)

Undeterred :f_tongue: I continued to go with my evaluation on the turn for almost 300bbs half hour later, and won most of the chips back :f_thumbsup: This hand was a bit different as the guy was alot looser 75/34 VPIP.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02, $0.01 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $7.65 (382.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $6.22 (311 bb)
      MP: $5 (250 bb)
      CO: $5.07 (253.5 bb)
      BTN: $7.04 (352 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q K
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.06, SB folds, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.18) Q 4 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.18, Hero calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.54) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.24, Hero raises to $0.90, BTN raises to $1.56, Hero raises to $4.29, BTN calls $2.73

River: ($9.12) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.68 and is all-in, BTN calls $1.68

Results:
      $12.48 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: Q 4 7 K 3
      Hero showed Q K and won $12.18 ($5.96 net)
      BTN showed 8 K and lost (-$6.22 net)

So going nicely! Here's to a nice day tomorrow.
    • la55i
      la55i
      Pretty sick to lose 400bb like that :f_o: But it was well played... I think I should get some private coaching too but its too expensive for me at the moment.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      @la55i Yes best bet is to try to get into a coaching for profit deal that's what I did originally.

Hey all so here I am for my official Monday update! Official because I decided to enter the bankroll building challenge. Things are going nicely right now which is cool, I think the coaching I had has helped a tonne. I was making some really bad plays, which I didn't recognize as bad until they were pointed out to me and now I have realized them I am playing quite a bit better.

Weekly Stats:

- number of played hands: 8422
      - weekly bankroll movements in USD: +$25.11
      - Current bankroll: $65.11
      - Weeks in promotion: 1

Off to play my next session now, good luck!
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey iSoOwnYou,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Now that line is heading in the right direction :s_thumbsup:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Hey guys so my little challenge is going quite nicely right now. I have managed to fix some big leaks (mainly around calling fish when I don't believe them with what they have). I have also started working hard at thinking more about playing well and improving my play when I play, and less about winning money and volume.

The last 4 days I've played 12k hands and am doing well! Here is the graph: -

:f_drink:

Here are some of the biggest pots!

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

SB: $5.84 (292 bb)
      BB: $2.43 (121.5 bb)
      Hero (CO): $15.42 (771 bb)
      BTN: $2.91 (145.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q Q
      Hero raises to $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, SB raises to $5.84 and is all-in, BB folds, Hero raises to $11.62, BTN calls $2.85 and is all-in

Flop: ($14.61) 8 3 Q (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($14.61) J (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($14.61) 6 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $14.61 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: 8 3 Q J 6
      SB showed A K and lost (-$5.84 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and won $14.31 ($8.47 net)
      BTN showed T 4 and lost (-$2.91 net)

This guy was actually a huge fish (59/43 and 21.4% 3bet) we were deep, but when I have this kind of spot I just go for it I think there's too much value to miss by not. Turns out he was at the top of his range... but we manage to win the flip (as a 53% favorite), got to laugh at T4o coming along for the ride too :f_p:

Here's another cracker... against exactly the two same guys (the guy that called with T4o above, flats from the blinds in this hand).

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $2.39 (119.5 bb)
      BB: $14.25 (712.5 bb)
      UTG: $0.94 (47 bb)
      MP: $2.53 (126.5 bb)
      CO: $2 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $7.40 (370 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J A
      UTG raises to $0.94 and is all-in, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.94, SB folds, BB calls $0.92

Flop: ($2.83) Q A J (3 players, 1 is all-in)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.04, BB calls $2.04

Turn: ($6.91) 3 (3 players, 1 is all-in)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.42 and is all-in, BB calls $4.42

River: ($15.75) 3 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $15.75 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: Q A J 3 3
      BB showed 2 A and lost (-$7.40 net)
      UTG showed T Q and lost (-$0.94 net)
      Hero showed J A and won $15.45 ($8.05 net)

I called the shove knowing the guy would call in the blinds (he was 94% vpip after all...) then its just bombing with two pair knowing he's calling with any part of the board! Sometimes there's finesse to poker... and sometimes... it's just bet, bet, bet! :f_thumbsup:

One more big pot for the blog!

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02, $0.01 ante No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $6.07 (303.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $3.45 (172.5 bb)
      UTG: $6.76 (338 bb)
      MP: $3.91 (195.5 bb)
      CO: $3.17 (158.5 bb)
      BTN: $5.40 (270 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3 3
      UTG raises to $0.10, MP raises to $0.32, CO calls $0.32, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30, UTG calls $0.22

Flop: ($1.35) T 3 7 (4 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.97, MP raises to $3.58 and is all-in, CO folds, Hero calls $3.12 and is all-in, UTG calls $2.61

Turn: ($11.63) 4 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($11.63) 6 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $11.63 pot ($0.30 rake)
      Final Board: T 3 7 4 6
      Hero showed 3 3 and won $10.41 ($6.96 net)
      UTG showed J J and lost (-$3.91 net)
      MP showed K K and won $0.92 (-$2.99 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$0.33 net)

A key thing I'm working on now is being on my A game whenever I play, and remembering every time I sit down to play poker I am dropping the gauntlet down for every other player on the table, and I need to be able to respond to that. Yesterday I made the mistake of putting an audible recording on and firing up 10 tables... a little overconfidence? 1.5 hours later I was 4 buyins down 3 at least down to just bad play. I then spent the next 3 hours clawing my way back! Lesson learnt and a good reminder. Focus yourself before every session. Know that you are only as good as your next session, and bring your A game to every session.

Stopped my session today after 2.5 hours even though I wanted to continue playing, which was good discipline. So now I'm off to chill for a bit before I hit the tables again.
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze

Now that line is heading in the right direction :s_thumbsup:

Have fun :gl:
      Thanks Laz!
    • 8runo
      8runo
      Bronze
      Great results :) McDonalds will be disappointed ;)
    • kacekov
      kacekov
      Bronze
      saw u on ivi's blog. just a recomendation from a non-cash player. dont level urself.

if u are "studying too much" (as if anything like that exists) u might entering in those mental game levels:

lvl 0: what do i have
      lvl 1: what does my opponent have
      lvl 2: whats does my opponent think i have
      lvl 3 whats do i think my opponent thinks i have.
      etc etc.

u will Money if u are 1 level ahead of ur opponents and lose if u are 2 levels ahead thinking he's playing just 1 level bellow. (example: u are thinking lvl 2 and ur opponent is lvl 0 (as most are on nl2) u might go ham to change what he's thinking about u and he's just thinking about his cards)

many people fall into this trap in the micros when they study really hard (i fell into this trap and i didnt even studied really hard, yet :P )

hope u some good luck on the tables and that u move up in stakes :)

kacekov
    • NietzscheF
      NietzscheF
      Bronze
      Good luck:f_thumbsup:
    • iSoOwnYou
      iSoOwnYou
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 8runo
      Great results :) McDonalds will be disappointed ;)
      haha thanks man! hopefully they continue :)

@kacekov
      Hey man thanks for dropping by, yes great advice. I did get into a little bit of levelling at one point but cut it out quite early and I think I've moved past it now, well at least I hope i have! :f_pleased:

Originally posted by NietzscheF
      Good luck:f_thumbsup:
      Thankyou !

Hey guys I've played 16.8k hands now so 3.1k since my last post. I'm pleased with my play and with my study. I spent 4 hours studying yesterday and 2 playing so that was a good effort on my part at getting the balance right. I've created a new tag in HM called 'leaks' and I'm tagging hands in there which I notice as leaks when I review my play and then I can review my leaks before a session, instead of just reviewing biggest losing pots from previous session.

I've also re-read the part of the Mental Game of Poker that talks about the learning process. This splits the learning process into key chunks.

I've spent some time designing my preparation routine, and my evaluation and analysis schedule.

For my preparation now I review my learn focus page which lists the key things I'm working at improving in my play. I also review the biggest losing pots from the previous session, and then I visualize for 5 minutes. Haven't started the visualization yet but am to start adding that into my pre-game routine, based on something I learned from listening to 'The Art of Mental Training' a book about developing a mind set to help you crush in any sport / or life generally.

Enjoying poker right now, and the biggest challenge as always is mastering myself!

Here is latest graph. Going to grab some lunch now and then shortly hit the table again.

If you're playing yourself today, hope you run great!

Thanks for stopping by! :f_drink:
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Great post. Jared Tendler is on my list of Education for the next few weeks.

http://jaredtendlerpoker.com/instruction/mentalgameradio/