cash or tournys

• 12 replies
    • Abe1919
      Abe1919
      Bronze
      If you have just started playing poker,i would suggest playing some freerolls,i learnt to play on Ultimate Bet where they have fields upwards of 5000people! Otherwise Sit'n'Go's is a great way to make sure you don't lose more then you can afford! However tourney's and sit'n'go's are completely different and you'll need to adjust your strategy accordingly,i would suggest you watch some of the video's PS has and it'll give you a good idea of what to expect and plan your strategy. gl chap!
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      It's all about preferance really.
      I started with limit but found out soon that no limit was more interesting for me. Cash games I have profit, but everytime I try to get good at SnGs I start loosing the money I earned at the cash tables.
      You should probably try to experiment with which game type fits your playing style the best, having 100bb available in every round and being able to play some postflop or see your stack eaten alive while the whole game turns into a pre-flop all in fest :P
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Hi,

I have found lately you get better return in cash games.
      SnG's are good, but you have to place to make money. I (personally) find there is less of the "all in or nothing" style player just loooking to quick make money at SnG's compared to Ring Games. And when they do appear at the Ring Games, they are really easy to spot, and a lot of the time, really easy to get money out of!!!!!

Also, if you want to play tourneys or SnG's, avoid the Turbo games to start of with if you are a new player. You will find that you need to be on your game to avoid getting sucked out by the blinds, or playing hands you normally wouldn't cause you are getting low on chips.

Good luck with it

Andrew
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      Cash games are my favourite.

As the posters above me said, SnG's are basically all-in fests. There is some actual play involved, but if you aren't all in preflop, you'll likely be all-in on the flop.

I find cash games to involve more "poker", if you know what I mean. This is, of course, if you are playing Big Stack.

Cash games are overall more fun for me, and I have found I make a better profit on them as opposed to SnG's. You just have a lot more control in cash games.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      quicker multitable tournaments , safer cash games , what's best? who knows? what you like better and get better at.
    • hamtastesgood
      hamtastesgood
      Basic
      iv found out before is the higher the stakes the better the cash game to be honest and tournys are easier to make profit due to everyone going out so quickly
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      both....just follow br management and start off cash games with SSS it is a good base. There is no quick way and to be safe you need to follow br management.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      You don't really have to start with short stack strategy, you could instead start on the 0.01/0.02 tables and buy in for 100bb. Get going with big stack strategy right away. Unless of course you have signed up at some site where 10nl is the lowest stake. 50$ will of course be too little for bss at 10nl...
    • octoja
      octoja
      Bronze
      I prefer tournaments, as I believe better players win them, while too often in cash games players with larger stacks (richer) can play more freely and thus beat players better than themselves who have less funds and so must care about them and play safer and more carefully.
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by octoja
      I prefer tournaments, as I believe better players win them, while too often in cash games players with larger stacks (richer) can play more freely and thus beat players better than themselves who have less funds and so must care about them and play safer and more carefully.
      i know what you are saying, but i have found that a lot of guys will play marginal hands from early position in tournaments, a hell of a lot more than ring games.
      Smart play will win a lot of the time. The best way i have found to be profitable, is to get in as cheap as possible, with anything less than top pairs, and top suited connectors, that way, it is really easy to fold out on the flop if it comes bad. I have thrown away TT, even JJ just because after my initial raise, i got re-raised, and the he got re-raised again, i fold, then more raising. Turned out 1 was playing low suited connectors, 1 was playing 7's or 8's. The good thing was that i wouldn't have won the pot.

Play smart, but at the end of the day, play what way you feel is best. And don't ever get dissapointed just because you lost playing good poker. There will always come a time when great playing get beaten time after time, its the fall of the cards.

Just remember "BANKROLL MANAGEMENT" Its a lesson you can't afford not to know.

Andrew
    • bruceruddy
      bruceruddy
      Bronze
      when i started play poker, i played about freerolls 3 months. i learn a lot from there,and got some money. :D i think freeroll is a good place for new player :tongue:
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      freerolls for a new player, absolutly, great place to start. Just don't fall into the habbits of playing just any cards.

Freerolls i have found to be a great place to teach patience. Waiting for the good hands and play them hard. Even if you get called by someone for big bets with A's, K's or the like to their 38o and loose, it's not the end of the world because you are playing the hands correctly, you are waiting for the hands to play hard, and most importantly, you haven't lost any money!!!
      I mean at the end of the day, the top hands will win more pots, but you will still loose A's to 72o from time to time.