a question of personal control

• andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Hey,

i am curious as to what you guys do when you fold high end marginal hands like AT, QJ etc when you have rasies behind you, and then the board hits for what would have been the nuts for you.

What stops you in the future from then trying to play those hands?

It's ok when you fold say 64o and the board hits 235. I can tolerate that, soemtimes i just get a little annoyed thinking i could have had an easy pickings hand. i really want to look away till the hand is over, but i also like to watch how everyone plays and work out what people have.

I have tried to make myself forget what i had, pretend i am not even sitting at the table, and all i am doing is studying the other players now. it seems to work. anything to try and avoid tilt!!!!

keen to hear what you do.

Take care
      Andrew
  • 13 replies
    • ehkayforty7
      ehkayforty7
      Bronze
      Don't be result oriented.

Easier said than done, but it will save you lots of money in the long run. The dream flop doesn't come often enough to justify the many calls you will have to make.

It's good that you study the play of your opponents. Anything to keep your mind off of what would have been the nuts when they're all shoving their money in the middle -- that always sucks. :P

Also a lot of times when I (would have) flopped a str8/flush/boat if I played, the pot is checked down or someone folds to a small bet. This tells me I wouldn't have won much regardless, which definitely helps.

Good luck at the tables! :D
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      It's easy: I dont notice it. Because I multitable and frankly because I dont care. And you shoulden't either. Showing folded cards is usualy optional, you should ALWAYS disable it.

You can prove that those hands wont earn you money in the long run... so -why play 'm ? Did you stop folding 7-2 offsuit because you saw a 777 flop once? Stick tight to the starting hands chart and make money.
      Once you start to get to know the game (after a lot of hands.. I played my first 20K hands as ABC as they come) you know when and why to play marginal hands, but sticking to the charting hands chart will give you nice, easy and profitable postflop decisions :D
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      hey,

thanks for the replies guys. pretty much thought that the answers i would get would be along those lines.

I also started laughing about it, just because there is no point getting upset about it. I also tell myself that event though the flop would have helped me, the turn and river would have screwed me, so i have a little chuckle to myself and keep watching the action.

Thanks and take care.

Andrew
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andrewkd
      hey,

thanks for the replies guys. pretty much thought that the answers i would get would be along those lines.

I also started laughing about it, just because there is no point getting upset about it. I also tell myself that event though the flop would have helped me, the turn and river would have screwed me, so i have a little chuckle to myself and keep watching the action.

Thanks and take care.

Andrew
      Hi Andrew,

Yeah I agree with you & the other guys, just not worth thinking about, just 1 hand of many thousands you are likely to play.

Yesterday, whilst multi-tabling, I raised with AJs, got called by 2 other players so big big pot, saw a flop of JJA and smiled at the thought of the winnings, but then misclicked and folded by mistake. A few months ago I would have been absolutely devasted, but yesterday after learning so much from PS I just laughed.
      I couldn't believe what I had done and was annoyed for doing it, but then just laughed and moved on. Still ended session up so why worry.

Good luck & stay chilled.

Bart
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      1. See how much you would have won if you had called pf. Many times they have nothing and you would have won squat.

2. See how much you would have lost if you had called pf. Some times they have better hands and you would have lost your stack.

3. Observe how many times those hands miss the flop, and you will lose count. Even when you hit, they dont pay you off enough times for it to be profitable.

4. Another thing is that the more hands I play while multitabling, the more tired I get, maybe its just me...when I play tired, I lose. always.

5. Related to 4., the more marginal hands you play, more chance to time out a monster on a different table or make a wrong decision.
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      hey guys,

another thing i started doing, mainly whilst playing free as i didn't want to try it playing for money, was playing marginal hands, and writing them down.
      i learnt this watching a phil hellmuth dvd, and he is right. you will loose more in the long run playing marginal. sure you will pick up a big pot here and there, bu the money you loose is and will almost always be bigger.

Thanks again for your input everyone, it's interesting to get other interpritations (?) on this and what you do.

See you around
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I have another way of thinking - I believe that the flop would not have been the same with me in the hand :D
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkonebg
      I have another way of thinking - I believe that the flop would not have been the same with me in the hand :D
      so does that mean you think the software is rigged!!!!! :) !!!

I think thats one of the reasons i like stud, cause you don't know what you would have got next!!!
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Well sites use RNG(random number generator) to deal the cards, but the definition of "true randomness' is kinda complex. Programming randomness is clearly not possible,as the program would still need some sort of criteria. Even the random function in some programming languages is not trully random.
      So in a certain way, sites are rigged by something that is called a pseudo-random algorithm.It uses some kind of mathematical formula to create "randomness", so it would be a close guess to say that the number of players in the pot can be a variable in this formula and therefore have some impact on the generated flop cards.

But I try to think the same about live games, so its just a nice way of not having a result oriented thinking :D
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      meh... flop would be equaly random imo :p

It's like a situation in a homegame couple of weeks ago: dealer gives 2 cards to a guy who lost all of his chips few hands before. No-one notices it straight away, but after someone loses the hand he sees it...

RIGGED! my cards would have been different, flop would have been different! I want my chips back!

I was like.... :rolleyes:
      :tongue:
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Well, its how those RNG's work, you can read more about it here
      http://random.org/randomness/

About the live game situation, you have to cancel the hand if any mistake in the dealing process occurs.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I can't understand why? IMO it's only to shut op the whiners :D

"I would have gotten other cards" --> true, but you would still be a donkay
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Well in the home games the dealing player has to shuffle the cards, then he has to give the opportunity to the player behind/after him to cut the cards.
      Doing something out of the rules, like giving cards to someone not in the game or dropping one on the floor can bring doubts of collusion and marked cards.