[NL2-NL10] was I just lucky or did I play that well????

• DevilishShe
      DevilishShe
      Bronze
      Hello everybody!
      I really need some input here. Did I play that hand correctly? OR WAS I JUST LUCKY??? Please give me some input on how the hand could be played better and against some better players!I like the outcome and surely would like to repeat it as many times as possible!!! :)

Especially I would like to know if the all-in RE_RAISE was overdoing it, I did it to protect the hand... the board looked scary after the guy raised my pot-size bet! (did they call it just because they were in fact pot commited??)

I did not use any stats and did not have any reads, I just sat down, this was my first hand on this table (I folded BB to a steal).

THANK U ALL!!!

Known players:
      Hero:
      $1.96
      BB:
      $5.02
      UTG:
      $2.04
      MP1:
      $5.49
      MP2:
      $1.82
      MP3:
      $8.71
      CO:
      $5.26
      BU:
      $5.80

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:diamond: , 9:spade:
      UTG calls $0.04, UTG1 calls $0.04, UTG2 calls $0.04, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.04, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.24) 8:diamond: , T:club: , Q:club: (6 players)
      Hero bets $0.23, 2 folds, UTG1 calls $0.23, UTG2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.86, Hero raises to $1.92 (All-In), UTG1 calls $1.69 (All-In), MP3 calls $1.06.

Turn: ($6.00) 7:spade:
      River: ($6.00) J:spade: (3 players)

Final Pot: $6.00

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, queen high (Jd 9s)
      UTG1 shows two pairs, queens and jacks (Qs Jc)
      MP3 shows two pairs, jacks and tens (Th Jh)

Hero wins with a straight, queen high (Jd 9s)
  • 12 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Limping with J9 . . then getting 8TQ on the flop. Yes I'd say you were lucky :P

Post Flop play is fine. However, limping with J9 is EV-, you wont hit the flop often enough to justify it.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      You play NL4 with 49BBs, so that's not the right forum and you should post this thread to BSS forum. ...NL4 is not playable with SSS afaik.

And in the terms of SSS we tend to never call preflop, maybe suited connectors, PP or Axs with so many limpers, but J9o would still me a fold preflop. So, yeah, you got lucky. ;)

On the flop you hit your straight and you should go broke, so that's well played.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000
      You play NL4 with 49BBs, so that's not the right forum and you should post this thread to BSS forum. ...NL4 is not playable with SSS afaik.

And in the terms of SSS we tend to never call preflop, maybe suited connectors, PP or Axs with so many limpers, but J9o would still me a fold preflop. So, yeah, you got lucky. ;)

On the flop you hit your straight and you should go broke, so that's well played.
      I agree with this

As an addition I think that in the Articles, it is clearly explained that from NL10 only, SSS is possible

As played, go all-in on his RRaise :)
    • DevilishShe
      DevilishShe
      Bronze
      i did not limp, I just completed my SB, there were 4 limpers + BB, I saw it in some videos! I shouldn't have completed SB? I never limp, only very rarely complete the SB!

The thing u say about not playing on that limit, I know that... but actually in my 20.000 hands I did not spot any diference between nl5 and nl10, I have profit on both, and actually table search is easyer on nl5, as there are no pokerstrategy shortstackers there.

I would like to add here, because I know u are right about the nl5 comment: I got very confused with the videos on the pokerstrategy sites for SSS as they are made on NL5 (partypoker) with a buyin of 5$??? why is that???

(so I decided to go midstack some would say, but only for the experiment, with the lowest buyin of 2$) .... sorry if that bothered you, I'm not playing BSS and I will not for some time...I'm quite happy with improving my SSS.

If that SB should not be completed please give us some clearer guidelines about WHEN TO COMPLETE SB! For now I only have the rule: good to semi-good hands and 4 or more limpers.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Eh..

If youve seen someone buy in for 5 dollars at NL5 in a video, they're not playing SSS.
      You cannot see any PS shortstackers on NL5 because it is not possible to play SSS on that limit, because the lowest buyin is more than 20 big blinds.

Basically, if you think you've played 20 000 hands on NL5 with SSS, you haven't been playing SSS.
    • DevilishShe
      DevilishShe
      Bronze
      oo and I forgot to thank you all for the comments!

THANKS!
    • DevilishShe
      DevilishShe
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fongie
      Eh..

If youve seen someone buy in for 5 dollars at NL5 in a video, they're not playing SSS.
      You cannot see any PS shortstackers on NL5 because it is not possible to play SSS on that limit, because the lowest buyin is more than 20 big blinds.

Basically, if you think you've played 20 000 hands on NL5 with SSS, you haven't been playing SSS.
      Basically you are right, hasenbraten never says it is shortstack (so I made a mistake thinking it is shortstack because he did not say it is BSS, my bad). all videos rock!!!!!!

Well I lost half of my POKERSTRATEGY GIFT money playing on nl10, so I got scared and tilted there (folding JJs and c-betting on flop with much stress), I think FOR ME, it was a good decision to move down to nl5 (I know I bended the rules). got my money back, and returned to nl10 with more experience and NOT MONEYSCARED. But this was not my dilema when I posted the hand. It was my decision to play nl5, it worked, so leave it at that and focus on the hand, especially on the question about WHEN TO COMPLETE SB!
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      well that's not SSS , on shortstack strategy it's not wise to complete J9o.

with your stack (39bb) and 1:11 pot odds I think a complete is fine with a 2 gapper like J9o , and you flop the nuts so ship the moniez :D
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      We can focus on the hand, I think I already gave my opinion about it in my previous post...

I must say, if you play shortstack strategy, then you MUST have 15-25 BBs at the table, because otherwise the whole strategy fails, usually people with 49 BBs post hands here only when they double up and in that case it's advisable to play tighter(JJ+/AK) till you're blinded out and you leave the table. And the fact is, with 15-25BBs(which you should have when you perform SSS) calling on SB with J9o is not a good spot imo.

Besides, the Hasenbraten's videos are NL5 SH, which means big stack strategy at Short Handed(SH) tables.

So, if you want to know what would be a good play with J9o sitting on the SB with 49BBs I suggest you post on the BSS forum, but with SSS it's a fold for me and I don't think I'm wrong...

There's nothing wrong if midstack on NL5 works good for you, I'm just trying to tell you that this kind of play should be evaluated on the BSS forum, because that's not SSS anymore. ;)
    • DevilishShe
      DevilishShe
      Bronze
      thank you burek! and thanx a lot alejandrosh (now I do not have to post it on BSS forum, hehe...u gave the midlestack answer)

I am not playing nl5 anymore. I now know how to steel some blinds and I'm not hemoraging money anymore, I can safely return to nl10.

some chart about completeng SB would be nice though!

thanks all!
      ;)

P.S. burek&alejandrosh u are both gold memebers...are u still on SSS? or is it obligatory to move up to BSS as one advances?
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      P.S. burek&alejandrosh u are both gold memebers...are u still on SSS? or is it obligatory to move up to BSS as one advances?

There are diamond members playing SSS , besides I achieved gold playing 2 hours a day playing SSS (16 tables) on nl25 . Being gold doesn't mean I'm an advanced player because I'm not. I am still on SSS but when I get enough bankroll to play BSS SH on a limit higher than nl10 I'm sure I will try it.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DevilishShe
      I only tried BSS some time ago on NL10, made one session and stopped there. I decided that there is so much to learn left with SSS that I better master one strategy than play both partially. So, my wish is to get to high limits with SSS and beat them, then I think I will start to learn tournament play or maybe BSS...

...there's no need to move to BSS, if you play and beat NL1000 with SSS you can make damn lot of money as well. Actually the choice of strategy isn't as important as your bankroll and skills are. However, I think BSS is some more complex than SSS and gives some more profit if you master it(not sure about this last thing though :rolleyes: ).

The only problem is that at very high limits there are not many tables, so the effect of SSS decreases, because it's most effective when multitabling and making a lot of hands each session.