From wellfare to poker pro???

• saralogy
      saralogy
      Bronze
      Hi there
      I haven't been working since 2002 due to health issues and I have been on wellfare for quiet a while. Not exactly a dream situation for a 32 year old girl with a lot of fire in her BEHIND. A year ago I saw the EPT on TV and started looking into poker a little more.

I have always been fond of playing any kind of games. In my youth I played a card game called "SKAT" which was really popular in Germany. I was pretty good at it and figured I could give poker a shot.

I first played at pkr.com where I often lost all my playmoney (good thing they can be reloaded ;o). But suddenly I got a bit of a lucky streak and became bubblegirl in a qualifier freeroll. First time I ever had any really good results. It was an awsome poker game and I met some really nice people who also invited me to poker strategy.

My first 50 went right down the gutter, since I decidet to play cash games, which I really sucked at.. lol! But I have been playing for almost a year now and I am getting better... slowly. The videos here at PS are really helpfull and I can really recommand them. There are still some things I need to get MUCH better at, like fold equaty and odds. But I definatly getting there.

Maybe I am no pro, but it is much better to play poker THE RIGHT WAY then splashing money away I don't have or sit around the house and watch TV. At least I have a porpuse in my life again.

Don't mind people judging you for wanting to play poker. I get that all the time... Poker is a way to lose all your money... Poker is a game for thieves and cheaters... You are chasing empty dreams... I am sure you've heard some of those yourself. I always reply: "You're right. Some people just can't play responsible poker"

Live long and prosper ;o)
  • 3 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Welcome saralogy.

Firstly, I'd like to say how refreshing it is to read your open & honest post.

Poker is a tough game, easy to start playing but difficult to master and bad luck always strikes even the best of players.

In my humble opinion, I think your attitude towards the game, expectation & commitment is spot on and big respect to you for that :D

I agree, that the strategy, coaching sessions, sample hand analysis etc on this site can only improve peoples games and am a firm believer in that the more effort you put in, the more you will get out.

Wishing you every success and hope to see you around the forums and at the tables soon.

Bart
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Welcome to PokerStrategy Sara,

Sorry to hear about your ill health but i hope you are starting to recover.

Poker can be seen as a lifelong journey in my eyes as you will always find something new to learn that will help improve your game. At the moment i find myself spending more time on reviewing my play and reading articles or watching videos than on actual game play, something like 2 to 1 in favour of learning. In my opinion i feel its more beneficial to me to be more concerned about learning knowledge than winning money. If i end up losing a few buyins in a session but i know i have been playing my A game then i still feel like a winning player.

Good luck with your journey sara.

Regards, Steve
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey saralogy and thank you for the very nice introduction!

I hope that we can help you continue to improve your poker skills and that you will warm up to our forum & community. Perhaps sign up for our next community events and take part in some of the tournaments. Its a great chance to meet some of the nice people that post here regularly :)

Best regards
      SoyCD