Poker rules on moving the Bubble

• slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Bronze
      Hi,

We were playing a home game, its friendly but we play by all rules, no string bets, if you say "call and I raise" then its just a call etc etc
      This time there were 5 players so we all agreed its winner takes all, then I bust in third and immediately the remaining two decided to change it so they both got paid, I complained saying that you cant move the bubble, they said we're the only two left so we're allowed to make a deal, I said its only when everyone is in the money i.e. after the bubble that you are allowed to make a deal....... it went back and forth and has now blown up out of all proportion..... :)

So was is the official ruling? Once a tournament has been started can the bubble be moved?

I'm not interested in conjecture or opinions I'm only interested in the official ruling and if possible does anyone know where I can find the offical wording.

Thanks
  • 7 replies
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      Firstly: official rules vary depending on the operator, you need to know exactly what rules your home duds are playing in advance (eg string bet rules vary)
      Secondly: etc etc etc is not defining rules
      Thirdly: I don't think you can prevent players from splitting profits or making a deal
      Fourthly: you need to answer your question (where are the rules) BEFORE you play
      Fifthly: I an not an official authorised to make finding on any rules
      Sixth: Check first if home games are allowed in your state or country, you may be breaching anti gaming laws (You are the ringleader it appears :-)
      Seventh: Heard of Google, ever checked an online sites rules?????
      Regards Michael

• slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Bronze
      Yes I have heard of google, surprisingly enough, and I've already checked that, drawn a blank and so thats why I ended up here......
      But thanks for your informative post......
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      The rules are - there are no rules unless you come up with an agreement prior to starting.

You guys will know for the next time!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by UPAY4DINNER
      The rules are - there are no rules unless you come up with an agreement prior to starting.

You guys will know for the next time!
      If I was the one thus treated, there would be no next time -- at least not for a long time.

OP has a very valid point.
      How one plays in a WTA is far different than if the split was 50-50-0 or 60-40-0 in a 3-way tournament.
      Note also how PokerStars forbids deal making in Spingo tournaments.

Cheers,
      VS
    • GoOnCal1
      GoOnCal1
      Bronze
      Oh, I understand now, :-) The OP feels Gazzumpped, because he has win only equity, and plays appropriately, then Homeboys 1 & 2 split the take :-(

Bit like getting raised out of a multiway pot, and then have the homeboys running it twice

Found this (EPT rules)
      http://www.europeanpokertour.com/poker/rules/
      Bit light on the deal making rules, though (Number 5)
      FIDPA Deal Making rules
      http://fidpa.com/index.php?p=rules&s=106&c=8&t=rule

Ps. I just remember a live tournament where I was involved in an outside of the bubble decision by the players (Crown Melbourne) It is not quite the same but may be worth recounting.

The final table has 10 players and only 9 are to be paid. The players all agree contribute a share of the prize money equivalent to the buy in for the next player out. In this case I believe is quite legal.
    • slippyjim
      slippyjim
      Bronze
      hmmmm those rules seem fairly vague, maybe this isn't as cut and dried as I thought it was.

Like you say I've seen it happen before where at the final table they suddenly decide to add an extra player to the payout, but that was at this dodgy poker club where lots of weird and wonderful things happen... haha
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I know that this is too late to help the OP, but...

These are the "official" rules for any tournament governed by the Tournament Directors Association
      http://www.pokertda.com/custom_posts/view-official-tda-rules/

Enjoy...
      VS