My first steps

• MeganEkko
      MeganEkko
      Basic
      Hi there everyone!

So this is me starting a blog. A little about me...

I'm 21 year, an American so it's been a little hard finding a nice place to play but not that hard. I work right now as an STNA so I'm a nursing aid in a old folks home. I don't get very many hours so a nice bit of suplimental income from poker would be really awesome and then I would want to build that into a full time gig. The two of the things I love most in this world are my guitar and my kittens. Music really helps me when I'm down and when playing guitar it admazes me when I'm able to slowly bring a song together. My Kittens I love, they're rambunctious and get into trouble, but their very loving, and when I sit at my computer to play I can usually coun't on one or two of them to sit in my lap purring. My parents are wonderfull enough to let me stay with them without having to pay rent even though they have every right to ask for it, I want to pay them back for that kindness, and I'm hoping poker will let me do that.

About poker.
      I So I've known about poker for a while but until recently I never really thought of it as a way of making money. I was playing Texas Holdem with my little brother until he got tired, then I found a documentary about poker, saw Rounders, and tried a poker app with virtual money, and that's how I found online poker.
      I've only been learning about poker from this site but the little I have learned has been amazing to see at work when I play my with my brother. He makes fun of me a little for folding so many starting hands but my game really has improved.
      It's really interesting how poker has affected me mentally. I know I'm a long way off from really making any kind of money from it, and I still have a lot to learn, but the last couple days I've felt more confident about life. Like it gives me hope that some day I actually will be successful

My main game right now is No limit Texas Holdem but Sit-n-Go look like they might be fun to try.
      My Bankroll is $100 and I want to try to make that all I use.
      My goals right now:
      1. Just develop solid poker skills.
      2. Have a thousand dollar month.
      3. Make $8000 so I can go to Germany to study for a year.
      4. Make enough that I can thank my parents for raising me.

So far the past three days I've made around $2.00 from 2 1hr sessions and a 30min session and I've multitabled up to 4 tables. Today I hope to complete a 2hr session and bring it up to 5 tables and 6 tables tomorrow and then for the rest of the week try to maintain 2hr sessions a day at 6 tables while studying more on the game.
  • 7 replies
    • MeganEkko
      MeganEkko
      Basic
      So Awesome sauce!

I just played first 2hr session and It went alright. I played 4 NL2 tables and when I was looking for a NL4 table to join I accidentally joined 2 tables instead of 1. It was a little jarring at first but I decided to stick with it. I still have some adjusting to do with 6 tables open but I ended up making I think $0.29. It's not what I could have hoped for but I'm still learning so I count the whole experience as a win since I reached higher tables than I thought I would without dropping below my buy ins. I also noticed that around 12mins till the end of the second hour I started to get irritated so, I don't think I really made any mistakes worth noting, but it could turn into a problem.

Interestingly though is that all of my losses occurred at the NL2 tables.

My take away though is that I need to look into getting some software for keeping track of everything so I can have a pretty graph of every thing, and try to get the starting hand chart memorized so I can react faster and play those hands better. Also maybe take a nap or something before I start tomorrow to keep off the irritation.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey MeganEkko,

Awesome start to your blog and it seems like you are learning quickly. NL2 can be a minefield. You will get called by all sorts of garbage and at times get sucked out by a worse hand, but it is important to focus on your decision-making, not the result of the hand. Otherwise you could end up folding profitable hands because of bad memories.

Where do you play? It's important to get software that covers your room. The major trackers are PokerTracker4 and Holdem Manager 2. Both come with 30 day free trials so you can try both (If they support your room).

As you are trying to build a bankroll, you should check out our Get Rich or Die Tryin' promotion. There is no time limit and you could even win a 1 month upgrade just for being an active participant.

Also have a look at w34z3l's 6max walkthrough - (microstakes edition) and No Limit Beginners course with confidant91. There is some great stuff there to help you break out of the micros. :f_thumbsup:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • MeganEkko
      MeganEkko
      Basic
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey MeganEkko,

Awesome start to your blog and it seems like you are learning quickly. NL2 can be a minefield. You will get called by all sorts of garbage and at times get sucked out by a worse hand, but it is important to focus on your decision-making, not the result of the hand. Otherwise you could end up folding profitable hands because of bad memories.

Where do you play? It's important to get software that covers your room. The major trackers are PokerTracker4 and Holdem Manager 2. Both come with 30 day free trials so you can try both (If they support your room).

As you are trying to build a bankroll, you should check out our Get Rich or Die Tryin' promotion. There is no time limit and you could even win a 1 month upgrade just for being an active participant.

Also have a look at w34z3l's 6max walkthrough - (microstakes edition) and No Limit Beginners course with confidant91. There is some great stuff there to help you break out of the micros. :f_thumbsup:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
      Thanks for the advice about NL2, I haven't played it that much but it already seemed a little strange how I won like .40-.90 1hr day 1, lost .02 1 hr day 2, then won about 0.80 in 30min day 3. I mean there's variance I guess but I didn't feel I played all that differently at the tables. I hadn't really been thinking about the hands, I was sort of assuming that since I'm still sort of new that it might have something to do with it and I just wanted to focus on studying and being able to play better.

I play on sportsbetting which is a part of Revolution Gaming Network. I think it used to be the Cake Network but idk it doesn't look like HM2 will support SportsBetting but I found Revolution Gaming Network in the list of sites at Poker Tracker. My session is going to be starting soon then I go to sleep, and I have a busy few days so idk it might be wednesday before I can actually mess with getting it installed and ready.

Thank you for the likes I'll definitly try and read through them, and take some notes when I have some free time.

Thankyou :f_pleased:
      Ekko
    • MeganEkko
      MeganEkko
      Basic
      :f_cry: I suck... and I need to take my studies more seriously.

So for like two days I couldn't get into the games at my first site so I've switched to Americas Cardroom. The cool stuff now being that I can use Poker Tracker 4 now (after I understand what the Hud is doing) and it's really cool how earning points gets you to higher membership points!

I'm not sure if this graph is good because I stabilized after a bad beat or if it's just a delay in a further downward slope. Either way I'm scared now to go above 4 tables for longer hour sessions...

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6YQnKRQsCSc/VeRjnS8enjI/AAAAAAAAAAo/Ix17VLGCJSA/w550-h192-no/8-31-2015_graph_%2Blosing.png

:f_mad: why won't it show up as an image in the forum! Like the preview has it showing up....
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Hey MeggenEkko,

The reason why the image doesn't show as a preview is because you're a basic member. For images to have a preview you have to be at least Bronze status.

NIVEKii
    • MeganEkko
      MeganEkko
      Basic
      It's just frustrating...

I had a busy day, I had played a pretty good hour early on before having to get off, and then later I decided to log on for some more.

It wasn't great, or I think I was doing well until I was interrupted by family staying the night. It wasn't much they just came in, saw me at my computer, asked what I was doing... But it was l could feel something slipping away.

I don't blame him, I kept playing, I was doing marginal, and eventually I decided to stop, but then one of my last hands...

I'm dealt a pair of fives. Flop gives me three of a kind. Only other player goes All-in with 83 cents about half my stack. I call and he reveals a 97o... So he has nothing! I'm fealing Awesome! Turn and the River turn his rags into a Straight!! I don't really know why but I can't let this go! He had rags. but. it. Just. just. really?
    • MeganEkko
      MeganEkko
      Basic
      So... I've learned to read Poker Tracker 4 stats! I've played maybe less than 2 hours so far. An hour yesterday, a 35min session today before the table froze on me (so happy it was preflop before my turn!), and I have won about $6! It's early I know but I was just continuously having these bad sessions where my bankroll was slowly sliping lower and lower...

Anyway here's my chart from the 7th to today :)
      https://plus.google.com/u/3/photos/113552965027342133841/albums/6194406559368084241/6194406558242786386