$700 to $7K Challenge: Chasing Supernova via Hydra

• kevin2001
      kevin2001
      Bronze
      Hi,

I would like to join the bankroll challenge again. I am way behind pace for supernova this year and I want to use this challenge to serve as my motivation. This year I have been clearly unmotivated to play mainly because of laziness or maybe being burnt out. 8 months have already passed this year and I'm only just a little more than halfway through my supernova chase.

Current Status:
      Bankroll: $700
      VPPs: 54,372.55

Goals:
      1. Long term Goals
      - Beat NL50 with a decent winrate
      - Supernova (54,372/100,000)
      - Instill good grinding and study habits

2. This week's goals
      - 5 session reviews
      - Warmup each and every session
      - Focus on maintaining a good posture
      - 3x workout

This is going to be a tough challenge for me and i think the likelihood of failure is pretty decent. However, I would work as hard as i can to achieve this and just hope that every session would be like this:

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $24.84 (99.4 bb)
      BB: $29.48 (117.9 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $28.92 (115.7 bb)
      MP: $31.63 (126.5 bb)
      CO: $37.71 (150.8 bb)
      BTN: $61.97 (247.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A Q
      Hero raises to $0.75, MP folds, CO calls $0.75, BTN folds, SB calls $0.65, BB folds

Flop: ($2.50) 7 8 4 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.50, CO calls $1.50, SB folds

Turn: ($5.50) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, CO raises to $15.75, Hero raises to $26.67 and is all-in, CO calls $10.92

River: ($58.84) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $58.84 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 7 8 4 2 9
      Hero showed A Q and won $56.84 ($27.92 net)
      CO showed A 6 and lost (-$28.92 net)

GL everyone!
  • 5 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey kevin2001,

Welcome back to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • kevin2001
      kevin2001
      Bronze
      Hi,

It has been a roller coaster ride in my first week. The first few days went well and i was feeling very good until weekend came. I was motivated to play a lot of volume during the weekend but unfortunately nothing went right. Donated 10 stacks over the course of the weekend and went into massive tilt.

Hands: 27,132
      Profit: -$75.43
      PLO: $5.18
      Tourneys: $5.60
      Total Profit: -$64.65

BR: $635.35

SN Chase: 55,656.30/100,000

2. This week's goals
      - 5 session reviews
      - Warmup each and every session
      - Focus on maintaining a good posture
      - 3x workout
      Mega fail
      1 session Review
      No warmups
      Proper posture for only the first few hours
      No workout

I decided to review my session yesterday and it's very disappointing to see the mistakes i am making once i can see it clearly without tilt. Most common mistakes I'm making are:

1. Bluffcatching without even assigning a range of hands i can beat

When on tilt, I go into autopilot mode or my C-game. It just feels like the brain stops processing any info available and just starts to randomly click buttons. Of course it is easy to say that the solution is to put a range on the villain before i bluffcatch but i think the main problem is recognizing tilt but failing to anything about it.

2. Bluffing without fold equity

I made a lot of spewy plays mainly because i was not considering if i had fold equity or not. Some examples would be bluffing an aggressive fish blind vs blind with air, using an ace or a king on the turn to bluff vs thinking regs, mindlessly bluff cbetting, and i even floated 2 barrels vs a fish just to bluff OTR. Of course i got called. Tilt can really destroy a bankroll.

3. Drawing without the right odds or drawing to a non-nut hand vs a strong range

I often find myself chasing every draw once i get stuck in a session. I dont even care if it's mathematically correct because i feel i just have to gamble just to get even. I try to win hands instead of trying to make good decisions. When i think about it, these decisions should be the easiest because it is mostly just math.

4. XC when BF is better

The reason i XC instead of BF in some spots is because i have an irrational fear of getting raised. I hate bet folding. SOmetimes it feels like having to fold vs aggression hurts my ego. I guess when the decision is close, BF should be better than XC as XC would leave me guessing a lot and end up folding the best hand too
      often or paying off too often.

I have only reviewed one session and i have already found millions of mistakes in my game and a lot of mental game issues as well.

This weeks goals:
      - Session review everyday
      - 3x workout
      - Recognize tilt and quit immediately; inject logic

GL all!
    • FrozenElf
      FrozenElf
      Silver
      Hi kevin,

Up until recently I was playing very poorly similar to what you described, what helped me get much better was selecting just 3 of the most costly mistakes and setting a goal for a session not to make them 3 mistakes, after I learned not to make them I chose some more and so on.

I hope this was helpful

Goodluck
    • kevin2001
      kevin2001
      Bronze
      Thanks! Will definitely try that!
    • OMGimbroke
      OMGimbroke
      Bronze
      Goodluck with the challenge, I hope you make it and beyond. Supernova is hard to do but I know you can pull it off :)