so whats the deal with coaching advertising

• jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      There's all these blogs that are pretty much straightforward advertising for BPC. Which is pretty much an over priced bumhunting training site.

This type of "coaching" is not consistent with the direction ipoker and poker strategy have been going. Teaching players to be good is one thing, teaching them to aggressively bumhunt is a step further. If the plan is to gear further towards recreationals, I would think gearing to prey on them contradicts this.

Previously another was banned from soliciting coaching in blogs. Any difference here?
  • 5 replies
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      I guess the moderators are rather lazy at seeking disguised coaches, so report them via support tickets if you wish.

There are other not-so-covert coaching stables hanging out here, like SmartSpin.

The problem is that they don't violate the T&C directly because they don't advertise explicitly. I guess the best way to bust them is to have an undercover ordinary member add them as friends and try to get info from them via PM, though of course they'll try to switch the conversation to Skype because PS-gy PMs can be read during an investigation but Skype chats can't and they can state that the provided chats are fake.

Plus, technically, stakers are allowed to post offers at PS-gy as long as they don't include coaching (or the staker is an appointed PS-gy coach); but in reality, of course most of them coach their horses for profit (which becomes obvious after googling the names of the stables), just it isn't stated on the forums.

There are funny cases like the one where a player who is writing a blog about nanostakes grind, where he stated that he has a 'midstakes friend', also has a thread where he's offering staking up to NL400 at the same time. I guess the mysterious 'friend' is the one who's staking in fact but can't post himself (because of being banned previously?) and is using his horses to do the job.

I think the best way to battle such coaching offers is not to try to accomplish the impossible (punish everyone doing this), but rather, offer more affordable rates for coaching / staking ads (to urge them to go official), which must be way lower than on 2+2 because the latter offers a bigger potential audience to the coaches.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey guys,

I'll try and answer this as best as possible

Originally posted by jules97
      There's all these blogs that are pretty much straightforward advertising for BPC. Which is pretty much an over priced bumhunting training site.

Provided they do not link to external sites or repetitively spam. As they are blogs, they are essentially a player's journey and should include the relevant information on how they got to where they are and where they are heading.In the vast majority of cases, the OP can be a little over the top but after that most become a diary.

If you see any posts explicitly soliciting coaching, please use the 'Report' function.

This type of "coaching" is not consistent with the direction ipoker and poker strategy have been going. Teaching players to be good is one thing, teaching them to aggressively bumhunt is a step further. If the plan is to gear further towards recreationals, I would think gearing to prey on them contradicts this.

This is irrelevant. Neither PokerStrategy.com or Playtech have any opinion on Gordon's coaching. We haven't had a relationship for over 3 years.

We do not endorse, promote or advertise Gordon or his products.

Previously another was banned from soliciting coaching in blogs. Any difference here?

Yes. In that case, the member was asking for students.

Originally posted by tonypmm
      I guess the moderators are rather lazy at seeking disguised coaches, so report them via support tickets if you wish.

We have a great team of moderators but we don't necessarily see everything, so we do appreciate the efforts of members to report posts of this nature.

There are other not-so-covert coaching stables hanging out here, like SmartSpin.

Tyvm for pointing that out. :f_thumbsup: That's a definite no-no.

The problem is that they don't violate the T&C directly because they don't advertise explicitly. I guess the best way to bust them is to have an undercover ordinary member add them as friends and try to get info from them via PM, though of course they'll try to switch the conversation to Skype because PS-gy PMs can be read during an investigation but Skype chats can't and they can state that the provided chats are fake.

This could be an option if the situation was considered serious enough. It's certainly done in other poker forums.

Plus, technically, stakers are allowed to post offers at PS-gy as long as they don't include coaching (or the staker is an appointed PS-gy coach); but in reality, of course most of them coach their horses for profit (which becomes obvious after googling the names of the stables), just it isn't stated on the forums.

This is true. Stakers want as much control over their money as possible.

There are funny cases like the one where a player who is writing a blog about nanostakes grind, where he stated that he has a 'midstakes friend', also has a thread where he's offering staking up to NL400 at the same time. I guess the mysterious 'friend' is the one who's staking in fact but can't post himself (because of being banned previously?) and is using his horses to do the job.

We know. :f_biggrin: As long as they obey the staking rules, it's fine.

I think the best way to battle such coaching offers is not to try to accomplish the impossible (punish everyone doing this), but rather, offer more affordable rates for coaching / staking ads (to urge them to go official), which must be way lower than on 2+2 because the latter offers a bigger potential audience to the coaches.
      Regards

Laz
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tonypmm

Yes this is a little obscure to say the least. Either that or we should all start grinding the nanostakes again seeing it pays so well in a short space of time!
    • Post removed

• tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      That`s starting to get really annoying, I mean, if you are talking about your progress and happen to mention another place it's not so bad, but this shit is blatant advertising.