Grinding the micros: The tales of a Brazilian fish

• tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Hello everyone, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Fernando, I am a 24 years old Civil Engineer from Brazil. Since I was a kid I always liked card games, so what could I ask more than this beautiful game we all love? As you all can see I've been here for a long time, actually I joined PokerStrategy the day I turned 18, but with college and work it became a little hard to focus on poker, so I stopped playing online for a few years.

I don't really plan to make a living out of poker, but I expect to at least make a few bucks, if I can cashout something around 200 USD/month I will be really happy (specially considering that means almost 800 bucks in our currency). Of course, it wouldn't hurt making more money or even making a living out of it. Anyway, since I came back I saw the Get Rich or Die Tryin' challenge and I thought "WTH, let's do this". I started my grinding today with a bankroll of 100 bucks, I still playing 2NL though, going to wait until I have about 150 bucks until I move to 5NL. I don't play as tight as the SHC says I should play, mainly because I think playing a few more hands (without overplaying them, of course) can be profitable, but I also don't deviate much from it, if I feel I can play a little looser I do, if not I stick to the chart.

Currently I have a little less than 450 hands played, it went very well for me for the first session, but I know it's not always going to be the same, so I will keep updating this blog with my progression, I hope I can do it every other day (or maybe twice a week), but if I can I will do it weekly.

This is my progress so far with 413 hands played, I know it's almos nothing, but I only played for about 1:30 hours (I play 6 tables).

Well, hope you guys enjoy my blog, I'll try to always keep it updated :f_cool:

Cheers :f_drink: :f_drink: :f_drink:
  • 24 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Fernando,

Welcome to the 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' bankroll challenge. we will be looking forward to your first update which you should post by Monday of each week in Get Rich or Die Tryin' - The Bankroll Challenge - Reporting thread.

Nice start. Hope to see it continue. :f_thumbsup:

Have fun :gl:

Laz
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi tieppofer,

Great to see your first results and well done. Look forward to seeing your future progress.

Good luck at the tables

Regards

Matt
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Hi Laz and Matt, thank you for following up my blog :D

By the way, great blogging skills, Matt.

Cheers
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Played 1400 hands today in 2 sessions, one of 446 hands where I broke even and another one of 954 hands where I took a huge hit compared with yesterday, found a handful of players so passive I overplayed a few hands, plus with a one or two bad beats... well, lost about 4 buy-ins. Still with profit, even though it's just a dollar :f_cool:

I definitely gotta improve my post-flop game, I'm really rusty and not making good reads. Hope by the end of next week I can move up to 5NL

• metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi tieppofer,

If you break even then it is a win in my book. Remember the points you gain from it as you play. I always aim to break even or be in the plus.
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Yeah, I agree with that, breaking even is a plus...

Didn't play this weekend, but the week didn't start really well, made a few mistakes but none of them cost me much, but the cards just weren't coming and - when they did - I was beaten by some idiotic paying my pocket Aces with Q2o and hitting a flush or some kind of beat like that... Not feeling really glad, but well, that happens. Didn't play many hands today, hope tomorrow I play better :D

• tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Well, I forgot to mention before, I was playing 6-8 tables, now I changed to playing ZOOM two tables at a time, the volume is great and I can concentrate better, also my results are starting to be good again, I think I really neded to lose some money so I would stop being reckless... Still overplaying some hands that is reflected on my W$SD%, but overall I'm kinda glad with my results, just gotta focus a little better on this... But well, I've been back only a week, so...

• tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      I've been clearly improving my game, was in a roll, but had a bad session with a few beats and coolers, lost 3.25 buy-ins in this last session, so I guess I won't play anymore today... will look at some videos though.
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      So far it has been a good week, even though I had a bad session (lost about 4 buy-ins with bad beats) I could recover later on. I do need to learn how to keep my cool when I get sucked out on the turn/river. I've also started to study my hands and I discovered I'm a c-bet addict, even though it has been working I do lose some EV by c-betting so much (I'm c-betting around 90% of the time). Well, that's my graph so far... a few more bucks and I'll be able to move to 5NL.

I'm also taking lessons on CR, that's been helping me a lot.

• tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Jesus Christ I cannot be more f***d, just lost about 6 buyins running KK vs AA, my trips being sucked out by some crappy straight the guy pulled on the river and that kind of shit, omgawd, it didn't take me even an hour to take that hit.
    • FriskyArt
      FriskyArt
      Silver
      I know it's very frustrating. My KK actually lost me more than I won on a sample of 20K hands! Always someone who holds AA when I have KK and if that's not the case they hit a set or worse. But these things happens I guess, but you really start to take it personal when it keeps happening over and over again.

I'm also C-betting most of the time since I like to play tight aggressive. I don't think I'm losing EV by doing that except on PokerStars since they all seem to play very nitty even on the micro's! Which site do you play on?

Good luck at the tables! :f_thumbsup:
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Hi FriskyArt,

I don't really mind running KK vs AA or anything like that, the problem is when it happens is happens all at once. For example today I was running about 18bb/100 and then in 3 hands I took a big hit. Well, what can you do?

I play on Stars btw and right now my red line is better than my blue line.

What frustrates me the most is that I know I can beat NL2 (and possibly NL5), I know I have some leaks but my plays are solid, but everytime I'm about to move up to NL5 I take a big hit.
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Another down session, feels really frustrated right now, everytime I get a decent hand and go to showdown a better hand beats me or I can't get any real value from it. Ugh, don't like when that happens
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Since my bankroll is not bad I decided to go up to NL5, I didn't really play many hands because I'm tired, but I noticed they are nittier and well, just play better overall (I might be wrong, but that was the feel for the first 100 hands). Anyway, let's hope I can beat NL5 easier than it was to beat NL2 (even tho I didn't really get many winnings I feel I have it beaten).
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Well, my downswing is clear, been running real unlucky with premium hands lately, that's a big bummer, I was with a profit, now I took a hit with a few hands on NL5.
    • T3rMiT3
      T3rMiT3
      Silver
      Good luck with your goals!
      Are you still playing zoom or you switched back to normal tables?
      How is NL5 going so far?
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Thank you.... I still playing zoom, don't see me switching to normal tables anymore, I can concentrate better on zoom.

NL5 is not going bad, but I'm losing money when I go broke and find myself against a better hand, that frustrates me a little, been running KK vs AA, trips vs full house and shit like that, I know my calls are good, only unlucky.
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      I haven't been able yo play this week and probably won't be able to play next week either, so I'm taking a break from the bankroll challenge and for poker itself... hopefully I will be able to get back soon.
    • metalmonkey80
      metalmonkey80
      Hi tieppofer

Sorry to see you have had a frustrating time with the premium hands. This is something a lot of us can relate to and I hope the rest will bring you a better run when you return!

If you ever find you are struggling with some of these hands, post a few here so we can at least reassure you that they were the right plays!!

Jesus Christ I cannot be more f***d, just lost about 6 buyins running KK vs AA, my trips being sucked out by some crappy straight the guy pulled on the river and that kind of shit, omgawd, it didn't take me even an hour to take that hit.
      Look forward to your return.

Regards

Matt